College Board Reviews in Reston, VA | Glassdoor

3.4
College Board President David Coleman
David Coleman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Our offices are beautiful in the heart of the Reston Town Center and the work life balance is outstanding (in 24 reviews)

• Great benefits - if you stay long enough, they pay for your kids college (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Old boys-club mentality in senior leadership - you are either part of the crowd or not (in 21 reviews)

• Senior Management doesn't know how to run a company (in 15 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at College Board full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This is the first company I have worked for where you can see the impacts on the community almost instantly. I talk to my kids, nephews, nieces, and other kids all the time and it is so refreshing to see that the work I do is positively impacting these young minds. The recent partnership with Khan Academy to provide free SAT practice and millions that are spent in fee waivers for low socioeconomic status kids confirms my belief that the core values of this company are intact. I see lots of passion in the new leadership both on the business and on the technology side. New cutting edge technologies are being tried and implemented to really take CB into 21st century. Recent hackathon was a great example where company is promoting this culture of engaging everybody and taking them along on this interesting ride. I am very excited about the changes that are being made here.

Benefits are great too.

Cons

In the past, the company has seen some not so great leadership, especially in the technology area. The past two years were completely focused on redesigning the SAT exam and there was lots of stress across the organization because of that. Change is messy and culturally every organization has people that resist change in status quo.

Sometimes the annual raise is barely an adjustment for inflation more than anything else. Bonuses are there but only if you are top performers.

Advice to Management

We have been asked to do lot more with lot less. Given our mission, yes, that seems to be the right thing to do. However, employees are tired of working non-stop on one important initiative after another. If we need 24/7 support then we need to staff accordingly.

2. "great place"

Current Intern - Desktop Support Analyst in Reston, VA
    Current Intern - Desktop Support Analyst in Reston, VA

I have been working at College Board as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

great colleagues and work place

Cons

not much only if you lazy

"If you want an insurmountable IT challenge to try and overcome, this place is for you"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I worked at College Board full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

By far the best benefits one could achieve at a not-for-profit institution. The company obviously has a great mission.

Cons

The educational industry is the most complicated environment in which to work for. The amount of distinct service capabilities equates to the number of unique business requirements affecting resource management. The lack of dedicated IT capability to meet all of the unique service needs is directly proportional to the lack of IT morale the company is having to endure. I wish them luck with their future.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to manage your fiefdom business model by grouping common business requirements across all your programs with smart strategic resource allocation planning. Develop a resource allocation calendar to align with the school year and the business needs and stick to it.

"Sr. System Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Reston, VA

I have been working at College Board full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great education related business, excellent benefits such as vacation time and 403b match, good location, lots of exciting projects, etc.

Cons

Management may not realize employee retention is that important. As a result, lots of great employees with strong technical skills have left the company, causing some projects delayed for delivery.

Advice to Management

too much cost in contractors and others, so many great employees left, a risk in too rapid change of infrastructure without a good planning. You could hire any IT resources from outside as consultants without concerning cost but it doesn't mean you can maintain the same quality of infrastructure reliability and stability.

Aug 9, 2017 – Human Resources colleague

We appreciate your note and are glad to know you're able to take advantage of the benefits we offer our team. Cultivation and retention of strong team members is one of our core values; while we do... More

"Immature Middle Management - Reston Office"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I worked at College Board full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, PTO, Social Events,

Cons

Immature middle management. No compassion for pregnant ladies or those with young kids. They advertise as a family friendly work place but in reality don't like employees with commitment towards their families. Give a hard time when need to telecommute on days other than that defined by the policy - 1 fixed day a week. Can't swap it with another day. Can't work from home to manage work with a sick kid. Forced to take a sick day. If you have a bad phase going on, they are not patient and all the multiple years of trust you thought you built - goes down the drain. They prefer you take time off and let work suffer rather than manage responsibilities simultaneously - They simply can't trust that you are working when home.
    If you want to telecommute after maternity is over - It's asking for too much. Not allowed even though there is a "Gradual Return to work Policy" of two days telecommuting a week for several months after delivery. It's only for keeping on the shelf to look good. Managers simply don't allow it.
    Company is going through silent lay offs. You never know when its your turn and won't even know why.
    With all the new initiatives and cost saving goals - more work with less and less flexibility and appreciation.
    Raises are a joke.
    HR favors managers unfairly.

Advice to Management

By giving flexibility and telecommuting options to employees, the productivity might actually go up. Trust your employees who give their everything to contribute to the mission of the company.
    Train middle managers to be forth-coming and truthful to their team and discuss if any issues with the team member - instead of the whole world.
    Managers need to trust their team members and respect their commitments outside of work.

Aug 9, 2017 – Human Resources colleague

Thanks for your feedback. We're sorry to hear you didn't feel supported as a working parent. We have a strong community of parents and other team members who take advantage of our telecommuting... More

6. "Data Science Intern"

Current Intern - Internship in Reston, VA
    Current Intern - Internship in Reston, VA

I have been working at College Board as an intern

Pros

Great work environment that is very inclusive and active. Heavy focus on learning and mentorship to educate past just job description.

Cons

Would be helpful to have more prepared schedules and projects. There is lulls in work then times where work flow is heavy.

Advice to Management

Management does a great job at engaging and helping the intern team (from my experience in Reston) and continuing to grow the intern program and have more teams involved would be great.

7. "Good company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Data Analyst in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Data Analyst in Reston, VA

I have been working at College Board full-time

Pros

Good work life balance. Good benefit

Cons

Company structure kind of redundant

"No what you are getting into"

Former Employee - Executive Director in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Executive Director in Reston, VA

I worked at College Board full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Some really great people - at the worker bee level. Made some great friends that I still have even after I have left the company.

Cons

Senior Management doesn't know how to run a company. They spend more time chasing ACT and trying to be first versus really thinking about a sustainable business model. There needs to be more than just the SAT.

Advice to Management

The Board of Directors needs to get a new CEO. Someone who is visionary and has less ego. The future of education needs to be the driver and the students and not a CEOs ego for trying to make the SAT the solution and his poetry.

Jul 6, 2017 – Human Resources colleague

Thanks for your note. We're proud of our work and leadership and our ongoing efforts to clear a path for students.

"Good Company, Not so Great Managers."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at College Board full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work family balance is very fair in this company. There is a lot of respect for personal or family life.
    Great 401K and vacation benefits.

Cons

A lot of incompetent employees get promoted or are in managerial positions. There is a lot of nepotism going on in this company. Friends promote or hire friends all the time bypassing deserving employees.

It is incredibly difficult to change careers within College Board. It all goes back to who you know. Or whether they can think creatively on how you can fulfill a different role.

Very male oriented.

Advice to Management

Promote employees based on merit.

Apr 21, 2017 – senior director

Thank you for the comment. Part of what makes our staff so great is the vibrant and full lives they have outside of work. In fact, our benefits are designed with that in mind, and we're happy you're... More

"Great company with an even better mission"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at College Board full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for a few different companies over the course of my career, but have really found a home here at CB. The work that we do here everyday impacts, in a very positive way, millions of students and their families in their pursuit of higher education and that to me is extremely rewarding. Our offices are beautiful in the heart of the Reston Town Center and the work life balance is outstanding. The organization. from the top down, has a very healthy approach to ensuring that your personal life isn't compromised, despite the massive technology initiatives we are currently taking on. We have a very family first oriented environment which you can see in the benefits that are offered - from the vacation policy to the tuition assistance for your college age kids or tuition reimbursement for your own professional development. It is very tough to find a work environment that challenges you each and every day without taking every hour of every day away from you in doing that work. The organization hires professionals and Knowing how important the work that we do every day is to so many people - I couldn't recommend CB more highly as a place to build your career!

Cons

The space in the building hasn't gotten a little tight. There has been a tremendous amount of hiring in our technology organization over the last year or so and we are quickly outgrowing our space even though we lease almost the entire building

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing; hiring great people, investing in them heavily and supporting the mission!