College Board Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
College Board President David Coleman
David Coleman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work-life balance and friendly working environment" (in 28 reviews)

• "The College Board had some great benefits and amazing people to work with" (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • "Old boys-club mentality in senior leadership - you are either part of the crowd or not" (in 22 reviews)

• "Senior Management doesn't know how to run a company" (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Director"

Current Employee - Director in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Reston, VA

I have been working at College Board full-time

Pros

I'm impressed with my colleagues at the College Board. From my vantage point within the organization, the College Board is filled with talented people. As an employee, I feel supported and that I am able to be successful in my role - I have time to think through my work and perform it thoughtfully (I was pulled in so many directions with my previous employer that I felt like I was in constant chaos). Coming previously from under-resourced/under-staffed higher ed institutions, I perceive my work-life balance and the College Board's benefits package to be excellent.

Cons

Nothing to note at this time.

Feb 28, 2018 – Human Resources colleague

Thanks for the great review. We care deeply about supporting our team and building a high-performing, passionate community. We're delighted you're a part of it. -- Holly Strychowski

2. "Hackathon!"

I have been working at College Board full-time

Pros

The whole event had a vibe of friendliness and humor and generosity. I feel proud to work here and proud of my colleagues. The hackathon has the whole organization feeling inspired!

Cons

None at this time thanks!

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

May 22, 2018 – Human Resources colleague

Thanks for the great review and being one of our 150+ team members who joined for our second annual IT Hackathon. The Hackathon is a 2.5 day event for teams to learn new technologies while solving... More

3. "Great Company with great values"

I have been working at College Board full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits and friendly work atmosphere. Lots of room for growth within the company and lots of social events for getting to know other employees within the company

Cons

Very little room for you to be yourself when handling customer service calls, due to strict "script" it could come off to customers as robotic or non empathetic to certain situations.

"High pay, low job satisfaction"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at College Board full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They pay is competitive and the benefits are great.
    The NY office has a nice view and good coffee.

Cons

There is little to no respect for experience. There is little to no support given for huge projects. Leadership is either hands off, or negative and demeaning. There are no leaders that I encountered that empowered their employees. In fact, the opposite would occur.
    Respected values seemed to all be negative in nature (throwing people under the bus, disrespecting others, superficial assets, etc.)
    The energy at the College Board is on of "dog-eat-dog" - don't be enticed by the money, it's not worth it.

Advice to Management

Step up and lead by empowering your teams and inspiring with positivity. Acknowledge people for what they create and bring to the table. Stop focusing on all of the gaps, all of the time. Great people keep leaving, search for why and make authentic changes. Start from the top down, not the reverse.

"Worst place I ever worked, I would not recommend this place to anyone."

I worked at College Board full-time

Pros

Benefits and salary are good.

Cons

They talk about family and how great they are as a team but its not a friendly environment, has lack of training, not enough work, micromanagers, and no room to grow or move into another position.

Advice to Management

They need to have managers that guide their employees and give clear expectations to staff. Positions need to be redefined. They have people in high positions that should not be there, but are giving them high titles and compensation. Some positions do not have enough work.

May 22, 2018 – Human Resources colleague

Thanks for your feedback. We care deeply about cultivating a team and workplace that is kind and generous. We’re sorry to hear that was not your experience. We strive for positive employee... More

"Pretty good place to work, could do with some management improvements"

I have been working at College Board full-time

Pros

- Great Coworkers
    - Company mission is admirable

Cons

- Management at VP/Ex. Dir/Senior Director level could be better

Advice to Management

Stop promoting your friends when they lack experience to appropriately do the job.

"Don't be fooled"

I worked at College Board full-time

Pros

Dental insurance was great.

Cons

I worked at the College Board in a dept that was designed to help low-income and minority students and yet, I heard my supervisors making sexist and racist jokes frequently. For example, when we launched our rural program to help kids in those kind of areas, my boss was furious that she had to help white people and would say this nearly every time we had a meeting about rural outreach.

The College Board is not a place with integrity. For them, it's all about making money off the backs of students and their families. A great example of this is how they pushed and pushed for Computer Science to be a high school requirement. Guess why? So they could sell AP exams in that subject. (They would love nothing better than to insinuate AP exams so deeply into high school graduation requirements that students could not graduate without taking at least one AP. )

The environment itself is generally hostile toward women. In March 2017, we had our 3 day work party at a convention center near DC. C-Suite leaders were falling down drunk, gambling at a local casino. It was truly "awe-inspiring." It showed what many people know already there -- the leadership is a boys-only club many of whom have been working together at various educational companies for years, ripping off students and enriching themselves from public money.

May 22, 2018 – Human Resources colleague

We appreciate your feedback and are sorry to hear about these experiences. The comments and attitudes expressed below are unacceptable and disappointing to us. We’ve worked hard to build a culture... More

8. "Research"

I have been working at College Board part-time

Pros

Great work-life balance and friendly working environment

Cons

The tasks are relatively static

May 22, 2018 – Human Resources colleague

Thanks for the review and we’re delighted you’re part of our friendly community! We encourage you to talk with your manager about finding projects that are rigorous and high-impact – there are... More

"Great recruiting process"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Reston, VA

I have been working at College Board full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Recruting process outshines all other experiences I've had. Online tools worked well. Recruiter was very adept, knowledgable, and approachable. Teams were great to interview.
    Timeliness exceeded expectations

Cons

They have exceeded their space, so some growing pains with regard to logistics

Advice to Management

Great that your folks are looking at a number of flex options. May not want to invest in fully open space facility plan, as many studies have proven significant drops in productivity.

Apr 6, 2018 – Human Resources colleague

Thanks for the great review! We’re delighted to have you on our team. We know the Reston office is nearing capacity and are actively working on solutions to both add space and preserve flexible and... More

"Over all, pretty good"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I worked at College Board full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Three best things about the board are its retirement plan, co-workers and location

Cons

The Reston office has had trouble keeping a Vice President in the position for the past 20 years. They're there for a couple of years (or less at a time). I'd say it's not the VP's fault at this point. There's a disconnect with what happens at "corporate" in New York, and I would lay that on New York. When you go through 10 VPs in twenty years, it's not "them", it's "you." The lower and middle management on the whole is pretty good. But the higher you go, the less impressed I've been.

Advice to Management

Give advice to employees as to how HR can help them. When you have an issue with a supervisor, you feel helpless because HR is in New York. The HR rep in Reston is rather disconnected from the employees and one doesn't feel comfortable walking in and saying what's "really going on". They keep senior management on in the face of severe dereliction of duties for several years so they can make it to retirement age (a very generous retirement, by the way.)

Apr 6, 2018 – Human Resources colleague

We’re glad you enjoyed our benefits and working with colleagues at the College Board. We remain committed to building a great workplace culture, with an emphasis on ensuring that all employees have... More