College Board Reviews

Updated Jun 10, 2021

3.4
College Board President David Coleman
David Coleman
Pros
  • "Great benefits, company matches retirement up to 10%(in 60 reviews)

• "Commitment to mission, benefits, work-life balance(in 38 reviews)

• Cons
  • "If you are anything else you will most likely not reach senior leadership level nor be promoted(in 27 reviews)

• "These senior management has no idea how to run a company(in 17 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Gender

This rating reflects the overall rating of College Board and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year
      Featured Review

Good pay for the amount of work

Aug 16, 2020 - SAT Instructor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work only Saturdays and/or Sundays Good pay - $125 per session

Cons

Have to wake up early Feel bad if students forget ID, calculator, etc.

College Board Response

Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. We’re pleased your experience working with us was positive. -- Karl D'Souza

2. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great Place

May 18, 2021 - Director in Reston, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Mission driven, sharp people looking to make a difference. Agile tech culture.

Cons

Nonprofits can be highly political, and this place is no different.

3. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Sinking Boat- Only Management gets credit for good accomplishments.

Jun 3, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are good especially for experienced. They can get kids college fees paid (some portion), This is also one of the reason you see people working for longer period.

Cons

- Extreme favoritism toward certain group and bootlickers. - Management Takes Credit for Everything, Engineers are not appreciated, Even during COVID-19, there are many promotions at Manager and above levels in this year, but none of the engineers are promoted. I Pity the management. Management talks about SAT and fairness among students and college admissions but they do not properly take care of employees at low levels. -No organic growth for IT people. Many of the systems are already migrated to AWS cloud by good talented engineers. - Management cannot retain people due to lack of direction and providing challenging work. Last 3 years, the IT teams are re-organized for 3 times. -I agree, there are egoistic bad managers as a result of those bad promotions. People in manager positions do not have etiquette and they behave more like self- serving leaders not Servant leaders.

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 3.0
      Former Employee

Org genuinely wants to improve the world, but sometimes at the expense of work-life balance

Feb 17, 2021 - Researcher in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Leadership down the rank and file all genuinely want to improve American education Most employees are collaborative, fun, and really smart Pay is competitive, with great benefits

Cons

While they may be generally polite and desire to appear reflective, multiple senior leaders have problematic blind spots that regularly result in arbitrary actions, expensive mistakes, and typical playing favorites/office politics presented as evidence-based decisions. As a result, staff walk on eggshells trying to avoid accidentally triggering volatility and hold their breath for what sudden change may be thrown their way at any minute. Also, the organization works some teams like dogs. It is an unwritten assumption that work-life balance has to go out the window when there are emergency student needs (e.g., COVID supports for colleges, high schools). The desire to want to help is admirable, but it is certainly a shoot first, ask questions about the human cost to staff later (if at all) approach.

9 people found this review helpful

College Board Response

Human Resources colleague

Thank you for your feedback and candor. We know that flexibility and balance are essential to our staff, particularly since the pandemic; we're sorry that wasn't your experience. Our leadership values and listens to feedback from staff and will continue to look for new channels for two-way communication. Ben Jay, Talent Acquisition Team (bjay@collegeboard.org)

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great place to work at

Jun 3, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work at. Comparable perks in the relevant IT industry.

Cons

Depending on which team you are part of, growth may or may not be possible.

6. 3.0
      Current Employee

A Corporation in Nonprofit Clothing

May 17, 2021 - Specialist in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is a decent job for people with education backgrounds who are tired of low pay. The money and benefits are definitely competetive--20 days PTO/10 sick days, and health insurance good enough for my family. They also do 401k matching up to $10k. I appreciate that they're allowing us to WFH permanently post-Covid. The organization is quite siloed, so I interact with upper management quite little and have no idea how other departments operate, but mine feels laid back and full of people I genuinely like.

Cons

I deeply distrust all of upper management, to be quite honest. It seems as if CB does mass layoffs every 7-10 years when they decide that the current iterations of their tests are no longer profitable. This time around, they fired 10% of the staff--40% in my department. I was pretty creeped out by the way management has handled this layoff--lots of corporate speak, the phrase "There will always be barbarians at the gates of Rome" was thrown out--and it made me seriously rethink my plan to stay at the organization long term. In the wake of the layoff, CB has rushed to churn out a totally new set of products at the expense of quality, not to mention employee morale and work-life balance. It all feels very rushed and ill-conceived. The higher ups get all misty eyed when they talk about how much our organization helps students, and I'm just not buying it. Just look at all the ways the SAT nickels and dimes students, or the fact that they sell their data to colleges who solicit applications from students who have no chance of getting in, just to keep their admissions numbers low. The resumes of the leadership team read like a roll call of educational programs that are iffy at best, actively harmful at worst--Common Core, Teach for America, test prep companies, etc. I'm obviously implicated too, because I choose to stay, but it's just disconcerting to hear the dissonance between what CB does and what CB thinks it does. I work here because I need a job and am qualified for this work, but I do not believe in our mission for one second. I might have before, but this recent layoff opened my eyes to the fact that this is, bottom line, a business. The SAT and AP are money makers, and it's the money, not the best interests of the students or the staff, that they will guard at all costs.

13 people found this review helpful
    7. 2.0

Mixed bag

May 24, 2021 - Product Manager in Reston, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, interesting challenges, good co-workers, fair policies.

Cons

No direction from leadership. Company wants to move fast but cannot decide on direction and how to execute. Product management is done at the program level leading to fragmented strategy and incoherent roadmap. Structurally this company needs to mature before being able to execute on its important mission. I don’t question the intent or integrity of the mission, but leadership’s capacity to execute.

3 people found this review helpful
    8. 4.0

Customer Service Specialist at the College Board

Jun 3, 2021 - Customer Service Specialist in Reston, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fun atmosphere, great management, diverse employer

Cons

Little training on how to handle hard to dal with customers

9. 2.0
      Former Employee

No Fairness in promotions

Jun 8, 2021 - Solutions Architect in Reston, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are good, especially after 5 years of employment all kids in the family are eligible to get certain portion of college fees re-imbursement.

Cons

- Promotions are based on favoritism not based on talent . This defeats the main purpose of collegebound (SAT exams are to bring fairness for college admissions). This leads to bad culture in the organization -

10. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Work Life Balance

May 11, 2021 - Information Security Architect in Reston, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Really great work life balance that is respected. At my position and seniority level I had the flexibility to choose the projects I wanted to work on. The work was rewarding as it supported the education mission of the organization.

Cons

Better project and program management would help provide direction and goals for project teams. It did come to feel like people were just "doing things" down in the weeds without understanding true end goals.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 419 Reviews