College Board Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
College Board President David Coleman
David Coleman

Pros
  • Our offices are beautiful in the heart of the Reston Town Center and the work life balance is outstanding (in 21 reviews)

• Great benefits; wonderful opportunities to be challenged (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • Old boys-club mentality in senior leadership - you are either part of the crowd or not (in 21 reviews)

• Senior management is frequently out of synch with employees (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at College Board full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This is the first company I have worked for where you can see the impacts on the community almost instantly. I talk to my kids, nephews, nieces, and other kids all the time and it is so refreshing to see that the work I do is positively impacting these young minds. The recent partnership with Khan Academy to provide free SAT practice and millions that are spent in fee waivers for low socioeconomic status kids confirms my belief that the core values of this company are intact. I see lots of passion in the new leadership both on the business and on the technology side. New cutting edge technologies are being tried and implemented to really take CB into 21st century. Recent hackathon was a great example where company is promoting this culture of engaging everybody and taking them along on this interesting ride. I am very excited about the changes that are being made here.

Benefits are great too.

Cons

In the past, the company has seen some not so great leadership, especially in the technology area. The past two years were completely focused on redesigning the SAT exam and there was lots of stress across the organization because of that. Change is messy and culturally every organization has people that resist change in status quo.

Sometimes the annual raise is barely an adjustment for inflation more than anything else. Bonuses are there but only if you are top performers.

Advice to Management

We have been asked to do lot more with lot less. Given our mission, yes, that seems to be the right thing to do. However, employees are tired of working non-stop on one important initiative after another. If we need 24/7 support then we need to staff accordingly.

"Great Organization!"

Current Employee - Assistant Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Director in New York, NY

I have been working at College Board full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are the best I've ever had, even when compared to the for-profit companies I've worked for. Flexible work environment; it's great if you had kids and need to work from home at times. My co-workers are friendly and collaborative. People are always willing to work together to get the job done. Love working in an organization focused on helping kids succeed, even though my work doesn't touch it directly.

Cons

The performance management system is ridiculously complex. The goal-setting process weighs you down. This needs to be simplified or eradicated.

Advice to Management

Need to keep refining how you evaluate your employees. Annual reviews take too long, are complex and aren't helpful.

May 17, 2017 – Human Resources colleague

Thank you for the great feedback; we're thrilled about your great experiences on the College Board team. We appreciate your candor about the performance management system and are in the process of ... More

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at College Board full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice facilities and adequate resources. Busy place with a collaborative spirit.

Cons

Turnover of contract employees is frequent.

Advice to Management

Stabilize your employee resources and resist churning through freelancers.

"great company but too much on games"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Reston, VA

I have been working at College Board full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

location is good and company benefits overall are good.

Cons

projects play too much on games.

Apr 26, 2017 – Human Resources colleague

Thanks for the comment. We're proud of the benefits we have to offer our team and glad you're able to take advantage of the convenience of and amenities in our Reston office.

"Innovative company doing important, fast-paced work"

Current Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY

Pros

Exciting organization that's driving meaningful change at impressive scale.

Opportunity to work alongside impressive and accomplished colleagues, dynamic senior leadership team who brings wide range of experiences and ideas and work at a well-established, successful non-profit. Good place for young employees who want to learn a lot about education, management and delivering positive impact at large scale. Benefits are fantastic (including tuition subsidy, retirement and ample PTO), pay is great.

Cons

Lots of new projects and ideas, but leads to fast-pace and culture of innovative.

"Good Company, Not so Great Managers."

I have been working at College Board full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work family balance is very fair in this company. There is a lot of respect for personal or family life.
    Great 401K and vacation benefits.

Cons

A lot of incompetent employees get promoted or are in managerial positions. There is a lot of nepotism going on in this company. Friends promote or hire friends all the time bypassing deserving employees.

It is incredibly difficult to change careers within College Board. It all goes back to who you know. Or whether they can think creatively on how you can fulfill a different role.

Very male oriented.

Advice to Management

Promote employees based on merit.

Apr 21, 2017 – senior director

Thank you for the comment. Part of what makes our staff so great is the vibrant and full lives they have outside of work. In fact, our benefits are designed with that in mind, and we're happy you're ... More

"Great company with an even better mission"

I have been working at College Board full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for a few different companies over the course of my career, but have really found a home here at CB. The work that we do here everyday impacts, in a very positive way, millions of students and their families in their pursuit of higher education and that to me is extremely rewarding. Our offices are beautiful in the heart of the Reston Town Center and the work life balance is outstanding. The organization. from the top down, has a very healthy approach to ensuring that your personal life isn't compromised, despite the massive technology initiatives we are currently taking on. We have a very family first oriented environment which you can see in the benefits that are offered - from the vacation policy to the tuition assistance for your college age kids or tuition reimbursement for your own professional development. It is very tough to find a work environment that challenges you each and every day without taking every hour of every day away from you in doing that work. The organization hires professionals and Knowing how important the work that we do every day is to so many people - I couldn't recommend CB more highly as a place to build your career!

Cons

The space in the building hasn't gotten a little tight. There has been a tremendous amount of hiring in our technology organization over the last year or so and we are quickly outgrowing our space even though we lease almost the entire building

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing; hiring great people, investing in them heavily and supporting the mission!

"College Board is great!"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at College Board full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working here for a little more than 2 years! I absolutely love working here! The people are great (most of them) and smart!

Cons

some people don't have to do much and still have a job. And others work hard and get more work.

"Tons of potential. Make your own way."

Current Employee - Executive Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Executive Director in New York, NY

I have been working at College Board full-time

Pros

Wow, look at all these terrible reviews. I just don't think that reflects the full reality of what's going on at CB. Pros: CB is a nationally influential organization that's more closely enmeshed with more students' education than pretty much anyone else. It's a mission driven non-profit that exists to improve outcomes for students, and people care about that. There are a ton of smart, motivated people trying to do good and interesting things. Certain departments and leaders really shine as cool places to work. As non-profits go, you won't do better for comp and benefits. COO knows whats up.

Cons

Cons: There are different views on what to do first and how best to do it. The org structure is confusing; the CEO is a weirdo with big ideas but limited touch with some aspects of reality. I think of these more as quirks than cons -- big, old companies have quirks and this is sort of inevitable; I can deal with it. The REAL con is: too many glum whiners, sulking their way through the day. There is too much self-pitying dead weight. Please swing the machete of meritocracy and liberate these poor complainers from the job they seem to hate so much. BYEEE! The rest of us will be just fine without you.

Advice to Management

Keep modernizing IT; pursue meritocracy everywhere; limit number of emails and speeches CEO can make to employees to 1 per quarter.

"Mixed Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at College Board (More than a year)

Pros

Smart, hard-working people with a positive, satisfying mission and great benefits

Cons

Management was out of touch and unappreciative; hard to contribute and have any agency underneath the weight of beauracracy

Advice to Management

Offer more opportunities for promotion and professional development