College Board Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
College Board President David Coleman
David Coleman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Our offices are beautiful in the heart of the Reston Town Center and the work life balance is outstanding (in 27 reviews)

• Great benefits - if you stay long enough, they pay for your kids college (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • Old boys-club mentality in senior leadership - you are either part of the crowd or not (in 22 reviews)

• Senior Management doesn't know how to run a company (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Positive changes!"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at College Board full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In the last several years CB has worked to create a more open environment. Of late the CEO has strongly and publicly supported our value positions.

Cons

It is difficult to move up within the organization. Lots of turn over at Senior level in last 24 months.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen and support staff.

Jan 24, 2018 – Human Resources colleague

Thanks so much for the feedback. We're thrilled you're on the team! Don't hesitate to be in touch with your manager or HR with ideas on how we can improve - we want to hear from you. -- Holly... More

2. "Director"

Current Employee - Director in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Reston, VA

I have been working at College Board full-time

Pros

I'm impressed with my colleagues at the College Board. From my vantage point within the organization, the College Board is filled with talented people. As an employee, I feel supported and that I am able to be successful in my role - I have time to think through my work and perform it thoughtfully (I was pulled in so many directions with my previous employer that I felt like I was in constant chaos). Coming previously from under-resourced/under-staffed higher ed institutions, I perceive my work-life balance and the College Board's benefits package to be excellent.

Cons

Nothing to note at this time.

3. "Incredible Culture of Engagement and Perks"

Current Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY

I have been working at College Board full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-whip smart folks who deeply care about developing team members
    -fun, engaging culture with lots of community-led events
    -mission-driven company with an empowering vision of change
    -incredible perks including robust benefits, flexible work arrangements, etc.

Cons

-can be bureaucratic but don't be afraid to challenge the status quo to create the change you seek!

Advice to Management

Keep on recruiting top-notch talent and cultivating an energetic culture around thriving and growing.

"Worked for more than 11 years there"

Former Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY

I worked at College Board full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Hours, pay, and benefits.

Cons

Mediocrity and stupidity of the bosses. I know that in educational institutions (not only), stupidity and incompetence are no handicap. But at CB, ignorance is required to move up.

Advice to Management

You are a joke. You think that you are making this great impact on students. If anything, your are harming their learning skills. The self-declared "great educator of the 20th century", Mr. Coleman, always says that SAT is going to be about "best practices" in school. In fact, the test is watered down and the leadership has made sure that no depth, no creativity is required to succeed on SAT. Just the ability to follow instructions and mimic what teachers do in their classrooms.

"Director"

I worked at College Board full-time

Pros

Great benefits, great pay. They try to hear all voices, but there are a lot of voices to be heard.

Cons

Dog eat dog world. Not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Pay attention and act when something is off.

6. "Mission-focused"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at College Board full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Organization is increasingly focused on access to college and career opportunities; fantastic leadership; competitive compensation

Cons

Silos, 2 years to vest 401K

Jan 24, 2018 – Human Resources colleague

Thanks for the great review! We're delighted you're part of our team. -- Holly Strychowski

"Great company culture + benefits"

Pros

The work is meaningful and impactful and leadership does a terrific job of driving a great culture. There's definitely a sense of community. The company observes most federal holidays and closes during the last week of December. The College Board is very results-driven, which can easily create a horrible work-life balance, but the company does a good job of encouraging healthier expectations and habits. PTO and retirement benefits are superb!

Cons

Not as diverse as some other companies I've worked for. There's also understaffing in some divisions.

Jan 24, 2018 – Human Resources colleague

Thanks for the great feedback. Cultivating great people and a strong culture are priorities for us so we're glad to hear about your positive experiences. -- Holly Strychowski

"Unfortunate management change and stifling, resistant culture"

Former Employee - Director, Office of Strategic Management in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director, Office of Strategic Management in New York, NY

I worked at College Board full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Provides an opportunity to develop, implement, and create meaningful change in the national education system through programs and testing.

Cons

Culture is unwelcoming to new ideas, new people. Many employees are "lifers" who resent and avoid new ideas or implementation of more structure / discipline around business processes (business cases requesting CapEx for projects are mostly incorrect, not rigorous, and not held to standards that a for-profit company would require - those creating them do not have the financial knowledge of developing realistic ROI, TTR, and discount rates, etc., arguing/believing that because it is a non-profit company it doesn't matter is millions get wasted as long as there is some benefit). It's a disservice to the country's students and a huge waste of money that could be put to better uses. The president came aboard and eliminated the entire Strategy department: MBAs, former for-profit financial and strategic consultants and planners who served as agents of change and resources to functional/product departments for financial analytics, research, etc.)

Advice to Management

The SAT lost it's monopoly on the college entrance exam market when it added an essay requirement. You're now in a duopoly with the ACT with the benefit of the PSAT and AP courses. There are millions of dollars that can be utilized to benefit students in college preparation, college choice, and success, but much of it is squandered due to a lack of rigor in projects and a lack of accountability - no one is held responsible for a business case that has no connection to reality. It's not an expectation that management has of its employees and its employee base now does not have the Strategy group to enforce it. Do not let your non-profit status blind you when it comes to meeting and achieving goals. It's a shame and a disservice to American students.

Dec 21, 2017 – Human Resources colleague

We appreciate your note and candor. The Office of Strategic Management, where you worked, was disbanded in 2013 and we've made a lot of -- important -- changes since your time here. Feel free to... More

"Avoid like the plague--where innovation goes to die"

I worked at College Board full-time

Pros

Some nice people work there.

Cons

Poor organization, lots of turf wars between groups with overlapping missions. Passive-aggressive behavior, frustration voiced by numerous employees. Constant expressions of hopelessness, like "ours is a department to move on from." Etc. A mindset of constantly kicking the can down the road--"We're too busy to plan this project now, we'll address our mistakes after we get through this phase.

Advice to Management

Give people clearly defined job duties and career paths that align with the forward goals of the business. Clean up the overlapping mission creep between departments.

Jan 24, 2018 – Human Resources colleague

Thanks for your feedback and we're sorry to hear about your experience as a former employee. We know that people want clarity on their roles and are working with managers to provide better clarity... More

10. "Fantastic Company"

Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Reston, VA

I have been working at College Board full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

+ Very good work/life balance
    + Wonderful co-workers
    + Focused environment

Cons

- Needs more training time
    - More feedback from management

Advice to Management

More training time and a better assessment of how we are progressing.

Oct 31, 2017 – Human Resources colleague

Thanks for the great review. We're thrilled you're on the team! Regular feedback and time for training and development are key levers to your success here. We'd love to learn more about your... More