College Bound Reviews | Glassdoor

Scott Baier

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "counselor"

I have been working at College Bound full-time

Pros

reputable wage comparatively to other jobs in the field

Cons

no cons about salary while there

"Like Most Non-Profits it comes with Ups and Downs"

I worked at College Bound full-time

Pros

Great place to work if you love students. I would say its very good if you are young and looking to be surrounded by like-minded people interested in education equity. If you are looking to gain experience in a non-profit or working with students its a very good opportunity for that. The office has a nice feel and is pretty centrally located if you live in Saint Louis City.

Cons

The work is hard, and like most non-profits the results of your work are always somewhat incremental and at times unclear. I don't think that management is always great about showing care for their employees but they do at least try. It's a young culture for the most part, there can be lots of inner-office drama.

3. "College Preparation Coach- Americorps"

I worked at College Bound full-time

Pros

The students are amazing! Great experience getting to work with students on college-access.

You have autonomy to be in control of daily schedule

Cons

Salary is too low for the work we are doing

Leadership team asks a lot of Americorps members, but does not prepare them with tools to do so.

"Here I learned what to look for in a career"

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member, Completion in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member, Completion in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at College Bound full-time (More than a year)

Pros

College Bound is an organization like no other. The community is great and it's fun to be in the office daily. The work is definitely rewarding and unconventional things happen daily. On any given day, you could be making ice cream sundaes, playing 4 square, bring your dog to the office, or be given free wine/beer. Students are constantly in the office or programming takes place. So you will get to know the regulars and participate in some fun. There are opportunities to bond and have fun as a staff. You will definitely make friends for life.

Cons

CB has a look of things to work on. 1. Pretty much everyone that works there is underpaid, except for the top tier or two of leadership. 2. Job roles aren't always clear or defined. 3. Morale decrease overtime as you learn how the organization is ran and understand the decision making. 4. Management is inconsistent and can effect your overall experience at CB. 5. Not every student is invested in the program or in relationship building. 6. Odd hours are required and you will constantly have your CB cellphone with you. 7. There are a lot of changes with staff and high turnover rates. 8. There is no HR on site. 9. You attend many meetings during the week and students will always be present, making it harder to complete tasks. 10. The board makes the organizational decision but, they only know what information the executive director provides them with.
    By no means did I hate my time a CB. I really enjoyed it but you will definitely see its flaws after about 4 months of being there. At it is frustrating because the leadership doesn't seem open to change, especially coming from a new hire.

Advice to Management

Work life and personal boundaries need to be improved overall. Honestly, CB as a whole needs to hold the students more accountable and do less enabling. There few limits to what CB will do for a student, including calling financial aid to ask general questions, tutor a student through an ENTIRE class, drive them to Planned Parenthood, or drive them to school everyday so they arrive on time. I understand the relationship is supposed to be personal and many students don't have someone constant like CB in their life. But, they should be providing students with tools of independence. CB will not always be there to save the day.
    In addition, managers need more training and a retreat on the art of managing. HR is needed so much. CB is 10 years old and they don't have HR. Professionalism was over preached to the completion team. Which was confusing because one minute we're getting free beer and talking to each other about cheap happy hours and the next we're told not to say "hell" in a team meeting. Increase the coach pay to $25k and issue 2 year contracts with evaluation. Students will be happier as well as CB. Continue to dive into issues that relate to race, gender, class, etc. Your students are from different backgrounds than the majority of the staff. They will experience life differently and this will provide some perspective.
    Lastly, utilize everyone's gift and compensate them for so. There are people of staff that are well informed on HBCU's, financial aid, career services, classroom etiquette and more. Have those people lead training or review matters in that area.

"Moving Forward"

Pros

College Bound actively seeks the opinions of staff to understand areas for improvement. It is the goal of College Bound for all staff and AmeriCorps members to feel valued and appreciated. This is shown through different methods of appreciation from monthly staff activities and week long appreciation celebrations.

In additional efforts to value employees and AmeriCorps members, College Bound is building up their Human Resource function to provide policy structure to staff and AC's that show added value and benefit for their work and service.

Cons

It's not your typical 9-5 job. You will put in long hours at times for the benefit of the mission. But, just as we work hard, we celebrate our successes hard as well.

6. "Exciting and Fun Non-Profit!"

Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member

I have been working at College Bound full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Supportive environment, encourages autonomy, meaningful work, flexible scheduling, transparent management, opportunities for promotions, value work/life balance, high energy environment

Cons

Sometimes the amount of autonomy makes it hard to figure out how to best fill your role.

7. "Americorps Member- college preparation coach"

Current Employee - Americorps Member- College Preparation Coach in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Great coworkers, amazing students, positive atmosphere and a lot of freedom to help the students you work with in whatever way they need! Also lots of support from managers and staff.

Cons

Americorps members are on 1 year contracts leading to high turnaround in staff. Also long work hours and difficulty establishing work-life boundaries.

8. "Great Mission, Great Kids, Mixed Feelings"

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at College Bound full-time

Pros

The kids are so great. I am a former coach and I still miss the kids I coached a lot. CB has set a high bar for my relationship building expectations in future youth based employment roles. The office space is nice and a pretty relaxed environment. Casual wear is acceptable and you can find a couch and work on your laptop from their if you please. Aspect of the office environment make for a community feel, although this is mainly for the benefit of the students, I think staff benefit from it as well.

As an organization, their emphasis on innovation and constantly adding to their program offerings is inspiring to watch and be a part of.

Cons

I know it's a volunteer position but the pay/benefits just do not cut it. Coaches work more than someone in a standard 40-45 hour week and the work is demanding. You are given a LOT of responsibility and leadership roles (which can be a pro) but ultimately you end up doing a lot of very valuable work for the organization and getting no compensation for it which is very disheartening and can messes with your psyche. You'll find yourself thinking, "wow, I am a college-educated, intelligent individual successfully taking ownership of a project typically suited for a 1-2 year professional and I am on food stamps." Too make it worse, there is no promise whatsoever of a full-time position after even 3 years of service let alone 1 year. Some AmeriCorps do end up in manager positions but it's really based on what openings they may have at the time.

A lot of reviews mention that the CB way is ingrained in you and you're almost brainwashed and this is very true. Whether this is such a terrible thing is to be debated, but there's definitely a sense of a lot of people drinking the College Bound kool-aid which I think can cause people to focus their energy on the wrong things like who can work the most hours and who can be most popular with the kids while also overstating how effectively they are accomplishing the actual goal of getting MOST of the kids to to and through college. A few standout students are meaningless if the majority of students aren't necessarily faring better with regard to college than they would have without college bound.

Advice to Management

Make it priority #1 to retain AmeriCorps members whether by hiring them as staff or by increasing ther AC benefits. People who have been with the organization longer make it better, it's that simple. The current system works okay, but imagine how great it would be if all of your best ACs of the past were still there. Just think about it.

9. "Good and the Bad."

I worked at College Bound full-time

Pros

The mission is set, maybe not so clear but its set. In the next 5 years its going to be a GREAT organization.
    They are looking into the problems that they have and want to make it an environment that is collaborative and functioning.
    BIGGEST PRO: the kids. They make the program.

Cons

No room for growth.
    No clarity in your role.
    The organization is definitely going through some transitions and its really reflecting in their leadership.
    Americorps program does ALOT and without it the program cannot sustain. There needs to be a different plan in place on how Americorps members are utilized. They need to think about having staff members.

Advice to Management

Be clear. Beef up on HR.

10. "College Prep Coach"

I worked at College Bound full-time

Pros

Gain experience inside of a classroom, pretty office (lots of windows), able to work independently

Cons

When you sign up for the job, you really have no idea what work you'll be doing. They don't assign specific job positions until AFTER two weeks of training. They also don't tell you that you'll be working LONG days (9am-6pm, and then student rides home), or that you have class on weekends, too. There are also countless after hour obligations, including but not limited to, weekend rides for ACT prep or tests, various workshops, meeting with students 1:1 on Saturdays, and generally whatever else they can think of. You are expected to work long hours and go above and beyond for around $900 a month. Work-life balance is non-existent; especially considering this is technically a volunteer position. The kids don't seem invested in the program, and may be involved just for the free snacks.

Advice to Management

SHOW APPRECIATION by more than just saying it. Let AmeriCorps VOLUNTEERS leave early or take Fridays off. Day old bagels don't cut it.