College Bound Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Scott Baier

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Moving Forward"

Pros

College Bound actively seeks the opinions of staff to understand areas for improvement. It is the goal of College Bound for all staff and AmeriCorps members to feel valued and appreciated. This is shown through different methods of appreciation from monthly staff activities and week long appreciation celebrations.

In additional efforts to value employees and AmeriCorps members, College Bound is building up their Human Resource function to provide policy structure to staff and AC's that show added value and benefit for their work and service.

Cons

It's not your typical 9-5 job. You will put in long hours at times for the benefit of the mission. But, just as we work hard, we celebrate our successes hard as well.

"Here I learned what to look for in a career"

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member, Completion in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member, Completion in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at College Bound full-time (More than a year)

Pros

College Bound is an organization like no other. The community is great and it's fun to be in the office daily. The work is definitely rewarding and unconventional things happen daily. On any given day, you could be making ice cream sundaes, playing 4 square, bring your dog to the office, or be given free wine/beer. Students are constantly in the office or programming takes place. So you will get to know the regulars and participate in some fun. There are opportunities to bond and have fun as a staff. You will definitely make friends for life.

Cons

CB has a look of things to work on. 1. Pretty much everyone that works there is underpaid, except for the top tier or two of leadership. 2. Job roles aren't always clear or defined. 3. Morale decrease overtime as you learn how the organization is ran and understand the decision making. 4. Management is inconsistent and can effect your overall experience at CB. 5. Not every student is invested in the program or in relationship building. 6. Odd hours are required and you will constantly have your CB cellphone with you. 7. There are a lot of changes with staff and high turnover rates. 8. There is no HR on site. 9. You attend many meetings during the week and students will always be present, making it harder to complete tasks. 10. The board makes the organizational decision but, they only know what information the executive director provides them with.
    By no means did I hate my time a CB. I really enjoyed it but you will definitely see its flaws after about 4 months of being there. At it is frustrating because the leadership doesn't seem open to change, especially coming from a new hire.

Advice to Management

Work life and personal boundaries need to be improved overall. Honestly, CB as a whole needs to hold the students more accountable and do less enabling. There few limits to what CB will do for a student, including calling financial aid to ask general questions, tutor a student through an ENTIRE class, drive them to Planned Parenthood, or drive them to school everyday so they arrive on time. I understand the relationship is supposed to be personal and many students don't have someone constant like CB in their life. But, they should be providing students with tools of independence. CB will not always be there to save the day.
    In addition, managers need more training and a retreat on the art of managing. HR is needed so much. CB is 10 years old and they don't have HR. Professionalism was over preached to the completion team. Which was confusing because one minute we're getting free beer and talking to each other about cheap happy hours and the next we're told not to say "hell" in a team meeting. Increase the coach pay to $25k and issue 2 year contracts with evaluation. Students will be happier as well as CB. Continue to dive into issues that relate to race, gender, class, etc. Your students are from different backgrounds than the majority of the staff. They will experience life differently and this will provide some perspective.
    Lastly, utilize everyone's gift and compensate them for so. There are people of staff that are well informed on HBCU's, financial aid, career services, classroom etiquette and more. Have those people lead training or review matters in that area.

3. "Exciting and Fun Non-Profit!"

Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member

I have been working at College Bound full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Supportive environment, encourages autonomy, meaningful work, flexible scheduling, transparent management, opportunities for promotions, value work/life balance, high energy environment

Cons

Sometimes the amount of autonomy makes it hard to figure out how to best fill your role.

4. "Americorps Member- college preparation coach"

Current Employee - Americorps Member- College Preparation Coach in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Great coworkers, amazing students, positive atmosphere and a lot of freedom to help the students you work with in whatever way they need! Also lots of support from managers and staff.

Cons

Americorps members are on 1 year contracts leading to high turnaround in staff. Also long work hours and difficulty establishing work-life boundaries.

5. "Great Mission, Great Kids, Mixed Feelings"

I worked at College Bound full-time

Pros

The kids are so great. I am a former coach and I still miss the kids I coached a lot. CB has set a high bar for my relationship building expectations in future youth based employment roles. The office space is nice and a pretty relaxed environment. Casual wear is acceptable and you can find a couch and work on your laptop from their if you please. Aspect of the office environment make for a community feel, although this is mainly for the benefit of the students, I think staff benefit from it as well.

As an organization, their emphasis on innovation and constantly adding to their program offerings is inspiring to watch and be a part of.

Cons

I know it's a volunteer position but the pay/benefits just do not cut it. Coaches work more than someone in a standard 40-45 hour week and the work is demanding. You are given a LOT of responsibility and leadership roles (which can be a pro) but ultimately you end up doing a lot of very valuable work for the organization and getting no compensation for it which is very disheartening and can messes with your psyche. You'll find yourself thinking, "wow, I am a college-educated, intelligent individual successfully taking ownership of a project typically suited for a 1-2 year professional and I am on food stamps." Too make it worse, there is no promise whatsoever of a full-time position after even 3 years of service let alone 1 year. Some AmeriCorps do end up in manager positions but it's really based on what openings they may have at the time.

A lot of reviews mention that the CB way is ingrained in you and you're almost brainwashed and this is very true. Whether this is such a terrible thing is to be debated, but there's definitely a sense of a lot of people drinking the College Bound kool-aid which I think can cause people to focus their energy on the wrong things like who can work the most hours and who can be most popular with the kids while also overstating how effectively they are accomplishing the actual goal of getting MOST of the kids to to and through college. A few standout students are meaningless if the majority of students aren't necessarily faring better with regard to college than they would have without college bound.

Advice to Management

Make it priority #1 to retain AmeriCorps members whether by hiring them as staff or by increasing ther AC benefits. People who have been with the organization longer make it better, it's that simple. The current system works okay, but imagine how great it would be if all of your best ACs of the past were still there. Just think about it.

6. "Good and the Bad."

I worked at College Bound full-time

Pros

The mission is set, maybe not so clear but its set. In the next 5 years its going to be a GREAT organization.
    They are looking into the problems that they have and want to make it an environment that is collaborative and functioning.
    BIGGEST PRO: the kids. They make the program.

Cons

No room for growth.
    No clarity in your role.
    The organization is definitely going through some transitions and its really reflecting in their leadership.
    Americorps program does ALOT and without it the program cannot sustain. There needs to be a different plan in place on how Americorps members are utilized. They need to think about having staff members.

Advice to Management

Be clear. Beef up on HR.

7. "College Prep Coach"

I worked at College Bound full-time

Pros

Gain experience inside of a classroom, pretty office (lots of windows), able to work independently

Cons

When you sign up for the job, you really have no idea what work you'll be doing. They don't assign specific job positions until AFTER two weeks of training. They also don't tell you that you'll be working LONG days (9am-6pm, and then student rides home), or that you have class on weekends, too. There are also countless after hour obligations, including but not limited to, weekend rides for ACT prep or tests, various workshops, meeting with students 1:1 on Saturdays, and generally whatever else they can think of. You are expected to work long hours and go above and beyond for around $900 a month. Work-life balance is non-existent; especially considering this is technically a volunteer position. The kids don't seem invested in the program, and may be involved just for the free snacks.

Advice to Management

SHOW APPRECIATION by more than just saying it. Let AmeriCorps VOLUNTEERS leave early or take Fridays off. Day old bagels don't cut it.

"There are a lot of good things but A LOT of bad: Micro- aggression, white privilege, brainwashing"

Former Employee - College Prep Coach
    Former Employee - College Prep Coach

I worked at College Bound full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Learn how to see an organization go from 36 students to over 600
    * Build some great career skills to boost your professionalism
    * Meet interesting people and build bonds (a few)
    * Looks good on your resume
    * They feed you a lot
    * The students!!!!

Cons

The issue that I have with College Bound is how they talk so about about it takes a village to raise a child but they do not believe this. Inside the walls of CB you will hear conversations that bash other college access organizations within the community, they will make you feel that you are at the greatest place on Earth and cause you to live with guilt if you A. try to leave or B. Claim you have a voice when in all actuality you do not. College Bound is your typical "white savior" organization. They boast about how they provide a diverse set of coaches (who are also overworked and made to do jobs that they definitely do not have the experience of training for) when in all actuality the majority of the staff is white. The population they serve is predominantly black and coming from impoverished areas. Also, College Bound claims they like having coaches come from various colleges to represent diversity in education, this is definitely not true. College Bound seeks coaches who come from private liberal arts school. You graduate from an Ivy my goodness they will kiss your feet. As much as they talk about freedom of choice for students they don't truly believe in that. They want to have control over students actions and their decisions. Students end up attending schools where they feel like a racial outcast, feel not connected to their college, feel like they were pushed to attend there approved schools, and the end up being depressed or unfortunately drop-out. Another issue is that many of the coaches College Bound hire suffer from white privilege or don't even realize that are are appropriating student cultures or insulting those around them. There is no need to relate to students by asking, "Can you teach me how to twerk or how many fights have you gotten into?" Coaches shouldn't ask other black coaches, " Where did you buy your hair?" It hurt to hear coaches talk about students hometowns or the high school they went to right in front of them. Many of the students know their school is under-performing but they still have a pride about it. It was frustrating hearing coaches brag about their students who got into "better" schools and then here them fake congratulate a student who got into a "basic" school. I wish I could believe in everything that they do but I cannot. Many times I felt that my students were being setup to fail. Setup to believe that College Bound is there everything and that without them they would be nothing in this world. When I finished my "service" I realized I was being brainwashed to think that College Bound is an expert in everything and I am their follower.

Advice to Management

Be real with what your organization stands for. You want students to attend the elite, the private, the whitest schools. Be real about who you want your students to be. You want to them forget their history, forget they want to be surrounded by other black students or minorities that look like them. Be real about you wanting to be the all might savior in students lives. Not their other mentors, not their family members. Be honest and take a deep look at your staff. Be honest and real about who you all are and want to be. It's ok if this is who you are and/or want to be. Just stop lying to the world. Oh and bring in more people who look like the students and post their pictures up.

"Awesome Company with a Great Mission"

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at College Bound part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Driven employees who work to maximize the options of their students. They go above and beyond their job title and act as more than just teachers. They are the students teachers, role models, second families. They take each kid under their wing and cater to the specific students needs.

Cons

It can sometimes be hard to work with the group of students that they accept. Yet, College Bound does a great job at transforming the disadvantages into advantages throughout their college process.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! The mission and vision statements align great with the companies strategic and operational objectives. Keep recruiting and changing the lives of students that wouldn't otherwise be given the opportunity.

"Calling all rich white suburban girls who "want to make a difference""

Former Employee - College Preparation Coach in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - College Preparation Coach in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at College Bound full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Get a lot of responsibility (manage a case load of students, lesson plan, teach classes, plan events, build relationships)
    -Build strong friendships with fellow coaches
    -After 2-3 years, potentially become a manager of coaches

Cons

-Unhelpful management
    -Love to pat themselves on the back for any student improvements (especially in staff meetings), but don't actually make a difference
    -Terrible training. Just dreadful. There is a two week orientation that provides new coaches with maybe 15% practice with teaching and 85% lecturing/playing unnecessary games
    -You must debrief everything, even when there's nothing to debrief
    -Lesson plans that they give you are disorganized and always need to be tweaked to actually interest students. Teaching was my least favorite part because I had 4 classes each week and was always scrambling to figure out something to do
    -Pretty much everyone who works at College Bound is white and upper management does not understand our students
    -There were no clear cut goals other than get students to college, help them get good grades...super vague and not helpful
    -Management would just sit back and accept that students had 2.5s time and time again. If you try to do something innovative to change things up, they will not let you
    -Most students are in the program for social reasons and not to actually learn or better themselves. The interview process is honestly just who do we like the best? It has nothing to do with their level of motivation.
    -I bought a car for this job, and had to get 4 car repairs throughout the year that cost me over $500. One of them was a $1700 bill. Get ready to be a student chauffeur and put a LOT of miles on your car. The mileage reimbursement they gave was $0.57/mile, but that was not enough to cover wear and tear.
    -Stipend, after taxes, of a little less than $900/month
    -I moved from out of state, and received very little help to find an apartment
    -No, it's really not that great to have AmeriCorps on your resume. Most people don't even know what that is. You're better off trying to get industry experience doing what you're interested in.
    -When you leave, the kids will be super pissed at you. You build these great relationships and then they fall apart when you leave and they have to start all over with a new coach at the beginning of the next year.
    -It sometimes gets competitive between coaches. Who is a better coach? My student likes you? Well they don't like you more than they like me! It can get petty.
    -You need to be somewhat well-off to take this job. Or have parents that can support you in case of emergency. Otherwise, you are going to have a REALLY hard time only making $900/month.
    -College Bound is expected to work more hours than the AmeriCorps expectation. Don't know why.
    -Comp time and PTO are just not enough

Advice to Management

-Get College Bound vans so you can stop abusing College Bound Coach cars.
    -Hire someone to really and truly upgrade the orientation to properly prepare coaches for what they are in for. Event planning, lesson planning, teaching...