College Chefs Executive Chef Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 8 reviews

3.7
College Chefs CEO Kevin Gadus
Kevin Gadus
  1. "Fun Job, Good Company"

Current Employee - Executive Chef in Lexington, KY

I have been working at College Chefs full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice Benefits, Paid Vacation, Creative Freedom

Cons

Being laid off all summer

Advice to Management

Incentives for meeting semester budget goals, winning contests, etc, etc, etc.

College Chefs2019-03-16
  2. "Horrible bosses"

Former Employee - Executive Chef in Lincoln, NE

I worked at College Chefs full-time for more than a year

Pros

Technically no weekends or evenings

Cons

No support, treated like crap by greek house, expect way more than any person could give, have to qork in your 'off' time

Advice to Management

Completely change everything you've done

College Chefs2019-03-06

"Chef"

Former Employee - Executive Chef in Lincoln, NE

I worked at College Chefs full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to make your own menu- but only if the greek house you work for has any type of pallet, and only if your Area manager approves it. Mostly you'll be making burgers and chicken strips and fries

Cons

The only reason they're getting 1 star from me is that you can't give them a 0 star rating. No support from management at all and when you come to them for help, you'll only get yelled at for everything you're apparently doing wrong. On the upside you get to clean up after a bunch of ungrateful kids that trash the kitchen every night. And when you finally get tired of it, they fire you a week before Christmas. The... Healthcare is a joke, it says it meets requirements but just try using it. Turnover is ridiculously high. In the two semesters I work for them there were 7 people who were fired or quit. They parade around this 'quality of life' motto but never deliver on it. You have to come in on days off for mandatory orders and spend hours out of your weekend typing in menus and orders. You aren't allowed to get any equipment, not so much as a serving bowl unless you can pay for it yourself and eventually get reimbursed. One admin will tell you to go ahead and get what you need and the next one will chew you out for buying anything. They will flat out lie to your face! They told me that the fraternity hated my food, hated me, wanted me out as a reason to demote me to sous chef and when I asked the frat they had no idea what I was talking about. If you value your sanity don't work for them.

Advice to Management

Grow a heart, support your staff,

College Chefs2017-12-18
  4. "Wonderful work life balance"

Current Employee - Executive Chef in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at College Chefs full-time for less than a year

Pros

Creative freedom with menus. Excellent support from management and you actually have a life.

Cons

Not sure. I don't have any.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting your team, especially those that are dedicated.

College Chefs2017-03-05
  5. "Great Job for those who enjoy time with family and friends."

Current Employee - Executive Chef

I have been working at College Chefs full-time for less than a year

Pros

Like many others have stated the schedule is awesome. Having almost complete autonomy in general is great. Good support from management when needed. Great opportunity to self motivate, broaden horizons and skill sets and simultaneously create awesome food.

Cons

Like others have mentioned we have no job in the summer and no guarantees of a job to come back to in the fall. It is hard to feel as though you have the opportunity for growth with the company and job security when you are laid off every year with no guarantees of being rehired, regardless of whether or not you do an awesome job all year long.

Advice to Management

For employees that desire to grow with the company and whom have proved themselves to be assets to college chefs, find a way to pay them over the summer at least half pay would even be helpful. At the very least a guarantee of being rehired would be great. It's very discouraging to work so hard all year and then not know if you have that hard earned job to come back to after summer. Additionally, not being made... aware of being rehired until two weeks before school starts is hard. If someone is going to be invited back to work in the fall they should be made aware immediately upon going on summer break so that they have a sense of job security at least.

College Chefs2016-12-17

"Good but could be better"

Current Employee - Executive Chef in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at College Chefs full-time

Pros

Work independently, create weekly menus, summers off, No late nights.

Cons

6 day work week, pay isn't great but ok,Benefits are really lacking be it medical, 401k etc.

Advice to Management

Reward bonus program for meeting budget and dietary standards.Training to advance skills and receive aadditional certification should be paid.

College Chefs2016-06-26
  7. "Best company I've ever worked for"

Executive Chef in Rolla, MO

I have been working at College Chefs

Pros

Complete freedom to create and work in a positive atmosphere. Vacation time, and benefits are only the icing on the cake.

Cons

Can't think of any off the top of my head.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

College Chefs2015-08-27
  8. "Great young company with a culture of fresh creative food that truly allows you to be a chef!"

Executive Chef

I have been working at College Chefs

Pros

Freedom to be creative with the menus that you create. No micro managing if performing to company standards. Ample tools to be successful. Awesome schedules. Upper management seems to care about there chefs.

Cons

No summer pay, but will assist in placing you if willing to travel. Insurance could be better! Managing house boys!

Advice to Management

I'd gladly take my salary annually. A bonus structure if you are maintaining your budget.

College Chefs2015-04-03