College Chefs Head Chef Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 22 reviews

4.8
College Chefs CEO Kevin Gadus
Kevin Gadus

"Great challenging place to grow as a individual team member"

Current Employee - Head Chef in Corvallis, OR

I have been working at College Chefs full-time for less than a year

Pros

1. Monday thru Friday for the most no earlier than 7a.m. and no later than 6.p.m. weekends off for the most part. 1week off paid for turkey day 4weeks off paid for Christmas 1 week for spring break and four to five 3 day weekends through the year. I was sold on this aspect alone. Oh and did I mention the summer off which college chefs does not deny unemployment for the summer. 2. Great leadership that is... knowledgeable, compassionate and has integrity no wishy washy bolognia. 3. No bosses leaning over your shoulder breathing down your neck with coffee breath. But plenty of support if needed upon request. All and all my experiences have been great with college chefs and the people we work with are great.

Cons

1. The way we communicate is a bit challenging at first, but I got it done and became more tech sauce because of colleges chefs. 2. Can be quite challenging at times and the work load can be alot, but as chefs we rise to the occasion and it just makes you stronger. 3. Accepting the fact that you can't make every client happy.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing and come see us more.

College Chefs2019-03-17
  2. "Good life work balance"

Current Employee - Head Chef in Madison, WI

I have been working at College Chefs full-time for less than a year

Pros

6 week paid vacation Menu freedom lots of creativity Upper management our chefs and our more of a coach then a boss

Cons

No work in the summer

Advice to Management

Could use a little more training for new chefs I would like to see more of the food competition next year with a small award for example maybe a 1 week budget increase for the top 5

College Chefs2019-03-16
  3. "Great Managers, Cool Food!"

Current Employee - Head Chef in Moscow, ID

I have been working at College Chefs full-time for less than a year

Pros

I'm treated like a respected professional, who knows what they're doing. I get to write my own menus and do my own ordering, all within a clearly stated budget. Can't go wrong w/ paid breaks during the school year, and we have actual usable benefits.

Cons

Summer lay-off can be a minor drag, but that is inherent in the business model. Unemployment for the seasonally laid off attached worker is an easy mitigation.

Advice to Management

As far as my own experience so far, just keep doing what you're doing, and don't try to fix things that aren't broken.

College Chefs2019-03-16
  4. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Head Chef in Decatur, IL

I have been working at College Chefs full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have been with College Chefs for right at 3 years. I love my job. I get to be creative and take suggestions from the house. Set schedule sun-thurs. Occasional later evening for an event. Paid winter break of over 4 weeks plus holidays and spring break

Cons

Unpaid summer break but job placement with summer camps is available

Advice to Management

Reward or incentive for maintaining budget

College Chefs2019-03-15
  5. "You Can't beat The Vacation time!"

Current Employee - Head Chef in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at College Chefs full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love working for this company, it has truely allowed me to be able to hone my passion and have a life. I love that I am my own real limiter and I can make my own decisions without being micromanaged. Small crew, Great hours, Great Pay, Gr Vacation time!

Cons

No summer placement, but they are upfront about this so it can be managed with proper finacial management.

Advice to Management

Keep working on communication, it is getting better than it was!

College Chefs2019-03-15
  6. "Great for chefs who are creative"

Current Employee - Head Chef

I have been working at College Chefs full-time for more than a year

Pros

house I work for is fantastic in that they all treat me so well. The food I do for them is wonderful and this job definitely challenges you to be creative and impress your students by keeping it fresh and changing it up. I feel that I have been able to learn a lot on this just from trying new things that I would probably never be able to try in a restaurant kitchen.

Cons

it is no secret that the summer off can be a down if you cannot find summer employment. For me I had that covered. Personally think the paid vacation more than makes up for it.

Advice to Management

offer employees an allowance to further their education in the food world. bonus out chefs for staying on budget. give managers more leeway

College Chefs2017-05-28

"Head Chef"

Current Contractor - Head Chef

I have been working at College Chefs for more than a year

Pros

Work independently so it isn't like normal kitchen routine if having to pickup after coworkers. Ability to learn how to budget weekly. Write your own menues and show creativity (if the house allows it). Work to life balance is excellent and can't be compared.

Cons

Depending on your house assigned to you, the creativity is shot out the window. You will be forced to strictly manufacture what the house wants. If they want grilled cheese and soup, you're making plain Grilled cheese and soup. Pettiness within the company. The upper management claims to not care about what other college cook companies think, but will point out their flaws and poke fun like we are children.... You WILL be cleaning up after a bunch of college kids. They have parties and leave messes in the kitchen and all over your daily deck scrubbed kitchen floors. That is your responsibility.

Advice to Management

Make it so chefs can easily talk together and share recipe ideas. Check in with the houses to make sure they are providing the services they agreed to and not leave it up to the chef to pick up where they leave off.

College Chefs2017-03-18
  8. "Head Chef"

Current Employee - Head Chef in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at College Chefs full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun work atmosphere, for a creative person and I get to spend the summer with my family. Love this job

Cons

Summer time if you can't find employment

Advice to Management

Keep doing a great job at helping us cause I love my job

College Chefs2017-03-05
  9. "The Unicorn of Food Service Jobs"

Head Chef in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at College Chefs

Pros

College Chefs offers qualified chefs the ability to run their own kitchen, use creativity in planning menus while providing the best work/life balance I have ever been afforded in my 18+ years working in the culinary industry. Management is very accessible while allowing employees a true sense of freedom and autonomy. It's like a unicorn, mythical and glorious...except this job is real!

Cons

I have yet to find a real con with this job. It is hard work but very rewarding. I suppose budget restrictions can be a challenge but it's totally doable.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! If you maintain the sense of work family and care for your employees as the business grows you'll only reach new heights. I love my job.

College Chefs2016-12-21
  10. "Great Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Head Chef in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at College Chefs full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been working in the foodservice industry for over 20 years, and College Chefs offers a lifestyle that is almost impossible to find in this line of work. I work daytime hours Monday-Friday, and even on the rare occasion that I have to close, I'm still home by 7:00. The PTO during the school year is fantastic (5-6 weeks at this school), and while the insurance coverage isn't the best I've had, it's adequate and... available, and it carries over into the summer. I make my own menus, I do my own ordering, and as long as the guys in the house are happy and I stay within my budget, I get to keep on doing what I love to do, which is cook delicious food for hungry, appreciative people. My boss is great, too, and is always available when any issues arise, or when I just need some advice.

Cons

Having to find summer employment could be a problem, but luckily I have some connections in my town, so it hasn't been an issue for me thus far.

College Chefs2016-12-17