College Chefs Chef/Kitchen Assistant Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 20, 2019

4.4
College Chefs CEO Kevin Gadus
Kevin Gadus

"This company is horrible to work for, one of the worst experiences in my career."

Former Employee - Chef in Champaign, IL

I worked at College Chefs full-time for more than a year

Pros

This company has no pros. There is nothing good to be be said about working for these horrible people. Please never work for college crooks.

Cons

This list is great; poor communication and intent for service. They "coach and train" but backstab when it suits them. They promise pay and raises and then fail to fulfill their promises.

Advice to Management

I'm surprised that there are kitchens large enough for your inflated egos. The main boss Kevin Gaddis has no talent in the kitchen as has been fired from multiple Greek food service companies before he was forced to make his own. He will price gouge Greek houses and backdown from promises to his chefs. Horrible company to work for.

College Chefs2017-01-15
  2. "Great Job for those who enjoy time with family and friends."

Current Employee - Executive Chef

I have been working at College Chefs full-time for less than a year

Pros

Like many others have stated the schedule is awesome. Having almost complete autonomy in general is great. Good support from management when needed. Great opportunity to self motivate, broaden horizons and skill sets and simultaneously create awesome food.

Cons

Like others have mentioned we have no job in the summer and no guarantees of a job to come back to in the fall. It is hard to feel as though you have the opportunity for growth with the company and job security when you are laid off every year with no guarantees of being rehired, regardless of whether or not you do an awesome job all year long.

Advice to Management

For employees that desire to grow with the company and whom have proved themselves to be assets to college chefs, find a way to pay them over the summer at least half pay would even be helpful. At the very least a guarantee of being rehired would be great. It's very discouraging to work so hard all year and then not know if you have that hard earned job to come back to after summer. Additionally, not being made... aware of being rehired until two weeks before school starts is hard. If someone is going to be invited back to work in the fall they should be made aware immediately upon going on summer break so that they have a sense of job security at least.

3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Quality of life"

Current Employee - Head Chef in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at College Chefs full-time

Pros

Decent time off ,creative freedom, no oppressive over site, the energy you put into your efforts are appreciated by management.

Cons

Pay is modest ,year round employment would be attractive, benefits are are pretty light mostly out of pocket they are working on it as they grow .

Advice to Management

Keep the thought process of valuing chef's and sous chef's that excel and keep their numbers and guest satisfaction ,quality of life is the foundation.

College Chefs2016-12-17
  5. "Great company for chefs that love to create and cook, but don't care for restaurant hours!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lafayette, IN

I have been working at College Chefs full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

No night shifts, weekends off, school breaks off. Freedom to create. Great communication from management. Always someone available to listen to needs etc.

Cons

Summer can sometimes be difficult to find work, however College Chefs is trying to help place chefs. Healthcare package not spectacular.

College Chefs Response

March 6, 2017Social Media Coordinator

Probably not intended to be a one-star review ;)

6. "excellent"

I have been working at College Chefs full-time

Pros

fun time and fun kitchen job. plenty of things to do to keep busy and working with the company has overall been very good. there are a lot of pros for this job and company

Cons

not very many cons that I can think of and I have recommended this job to several friends of mine that work in restaurants

College Chefs2016-11-04
  7. "Great Experience"

I worked at College Chefs full-time

Pros

I liked this job a lot because my main manager was very cool and very hands off. I feel that I really regained my passion for cooking at this job.

Cons

The kitchen that I cooked in was not the best and sometimes not the best equipped. I wish there was a yearround option.

College Chefs2016-10-13

"Chef"

Chef in Peoria, IL

I worked at College Chefs

Pros

hours, if in right place the house

Cons

If you are thinking about working for College Chefs think again. MY wife got sick and had to be brought to the hospital by ambulance. She was admitted. I left the hospital to complete meal service. That day that she was brought to the hospital I got text message by the management not to miss the meal service times. No one called to ask how I or my wife was doing. They fired me the night my wife got out of the... hospital. Beware of who you may work for. They do not care in my opinion!!!!!!!!!!!

Advice to Management

Lean to be human

College Chefs2016-10-26
  9. "Great Overall"

I have been working at College Chefs

Pros

Love cooking food and I get to do that

Cons

Starting up was pretty crazy but seems to have calm down

College Chefs2016-09-14

"Perspectives from a Sous Chef"

Sous Chef in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at College Chefs for less than a year

Pros

Monday through Friday Schedule flexibility with menu Very little responsibility (as a sous chef) All communication is wireless Adequate kitchen Better control over inventory and who is in the kitchen and why

Cons

Sous Chef: to be seen and not heard ('50s child behavior) HouseMom makes the final decision on everything including College Chef's SOPs Lacked communication Regional management was micro-managing (military basic training is mild in comparison) Benefits are practically non-existent

Advice to Management

Like Le Cordon Bleu in the U.S., CC over sell their company to perspective job candidates. The end of my employment (after 10 days) came as a surprise. I was terminated in a public location across town off the client's property. It was one-sided. Their training manuals include pages of SOP, not one of them were followed. Later I discovered the manager who terminated me lied about why I was actually terminated. ... The HR Coordinator told me. My termination letter was read by the following people: CEO (Construction), 2 VPs (Synchrony and Nation Star), Hilton Hotel Area Director, and 2 culinary school directors. All agreed my termination was uncalled for and the letter is shockingly immature. I have proof I was hurt while working, management laughed at me. I have been through some horrific situations, where I spent 8 years employed, including 3 triple management takeovers the last one labelled as hostile. Considering I had no history with this company, I found the corporate and regional management's behavior to be appalling and unbelievable.

College Chefs2016-09-12
  11. "Chef for a fraternity house"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

I have been working at College Chefs full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Enjoy working with great people. Being able to be creative with food. This will be my 6th year.

Cons

No bonus during the summer

College Chefs2016-07-11