College Chefs "menus" Reviews | Glassdoor

College Chefs Employee Reviews about "menus"

Updated Aug 20, 2019

Found 124 reviews

4.4
College Chefs CEO Kevin Gadus
Kevin Gadus
Pros
  • "I get to write my own menus and do my own ordering, all within a clearly stated budget(in 29 reviews)

• "As a relatively young chef with about 10 years in restaurants this job is a breeze(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Summers off, which is a great thing but chefs don't get paid during the summer since there's no one to cook for(in 6 reviews)

• "No summer pay, but will assist in placing you if willing to travel(in 4 reviews)

Reviews about "menus"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Good life work balance"

Current Employee - Head Chef in Madison, WI

I have been working at College Chefs full-time for less than a year

Pros

6 week paid vacation Menu freedom lots of creativity Upper management our chefs and our more of a coach then a boss

Cons

No work in the summer

Advice to Management

Could use a little more training for new chefs I would like to see more of the food competition next year with a small award for example maybe a 1 week budget increase for the top 5

College Chefs2019-03-16
  2. "Great Managers, Cool Food!"

Current Employee - Head Chef in Moscow, ID

I have been working at College Chefs full-time for less than a year

Pros

I'm treated like a respected professional, who knows what they're doing. I get to write my own menus and do my own ordering, all within a clearly stated budget. Can't go wrong w/ paid breaks during the school year, and we have actual usable benefits.

Cons

Summer lay-off can be a minor drag, but that is inherent in the business model. Unemployment for the seasonally laid off attached worker is an easy mitigation.

Advice to Management

As far as my own experience so far, just keep doing what you're doing, and don't try to fix things that aren't broken.

College Chefs2019-03-16
  3. "Best Job I've Had"

Current Employee - Sous Chef in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at College Chefs full-time for more than a year

Pros

We have creative freedom with menus (so I'm never bored with what we're making), a set Monday-Friday schedule, salary pay, and awesome coworkers and bosses. There is easy communication with management, and 5 weeks paid vacation throughout the school year. I love working for College Chefs and love the people we cook for.

Cons

No work/pay during the summer.

College Chefs2019-03-12
  4. "This is my 4th year with College Chefs and I enjoy the hours/time off and creative freedom."

Chef in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at College Chefs for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life balance, great for parents with small children because of weekends, holidays off and 9am-5pm (ish) work schedule. The menu you create changes weekly, keeping things interesting. 👍

Cons

This job may be difficult if you are not easily self motivated, and fail to plan ahead. The budget can be tight most weeks.

College Chefs2019-03-15

"Chef"

Former Employee - Executive Chef in Lincoln, NE

I worked at College Chefs full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to make your own menu- but only if the greek house you work for has any type of pallet, and only if your Area manager approves it. Mostly you'll be making burgers and chicken strips and fries

Cons

The only reason they're getting 1 star from me is that you can't give them a 0 star rating. No support from management at all and when you come to them for help, you'll only get yelled at for everything you're apparently doing wrong. On the upside you get to clean up after a bunch of ungrateful kids that trash the kitchen every night. And when you finally get tired of it, they fire you a week before Christmas. The... Healthcare is a joke, it says it meets requirements but just try using it. Turnover is ridiculously high. In the two semesters I work for them there were 7 people who were fired or quit. They parade around this 'quality of life' motto but never deliver on it. You have to come in on days off for mandatory orders and spend hours out of your weekend typing in menus and orders. You aren't allowed to get any equipment, not so much as a serving bowl unless you can pay for it yourself and eventually get reimbursed. One admin will tell you to go ahead and get what you need and the next one will chew you out for buying anything. They will flat out lie to your face! They told me that the fraternity hated my food, hated me, wanted me out as a reason to demote me to sous chef and when I asked the frat they had no idea what I was talking about. If you value your sanity don't work for them.

Advice to Management

Grow a heart, support your staff,

College Chefs2017-12-18
  6. "It's a great environment to grow"

Current Employee - Chef

I have been working at College Chefs full-time for less than a year

Pros

Ability to interact directly with the people you feed daily; Writing menus that make sense for your house; Support from above; Large corporate perks and feel with a more intimate working environment.

Cons

Vendors (US Foods), lack of direct (face to face) contact with your manager, budget restrictions

Advice to Management

Offer more choices for vendors, maybe do or set up a video conference once a quarter

College Chefs2017-03-09
  7. "Wonderful work life balance"

Current Employee - Executive Chef in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at College Chefs full-time for less than a year

Pros

Creative freedom with menus. Excellent support from management and you actually have a life.

Cons

Not sure. I don't have any.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting your team, especially those that are dedicated.

College Chefs2017-03-05
  8. "Chef"

Current Employee - Chef in Decatur, IL

I have been working at College Chefs full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hours are great. Flexible with creating the menus.

Cons

Being laid off for the summer.

College Chefs2017-03-05
  9. "The Unicorn of Food Service Jobs"

Head Chef in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at College Chefs

Pros

College Chefs offers qualified chefs the ability to run their own kitchen, use creativity in planning menus while providing the best work/life balance I have ever been afforded in my 18+ years working in the culinary industry. Management is very accessible while allowing employees a true sense of freedom and autonomy. It's like a unicorn, mythical and glorious...except this job is real!

Cons

I have yet to find a real con with this job. It is hard work but very rewarding. I suppose budget restrictions can be a challenge but it's totally doable.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! If you maintain the sense of work family and care for your employees as the business grows you'll only reach new heights. I love my job.

College Chefs2016-12-21
  10. "Great Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Head Chef in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at College Chefs full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been working in the foodservice industry for over 20 years, and College Chefs offers a lifestyle that is almost impossible to find in this line of work. I work daytime hours Monday-Friday, and even on the rare occasion that I have to close, I'm still home by 7:00. The PTO during the school year is fantastic (5-6 weeks at this school), and while the insurance coverage isn't the best I've had, it's adequate and... available, and it carries over into the summer. I make my own menus, I do my own ordering, and as long as the guys in the house are happy and I stay within my budget, I get to keep on doing what I love to do, which is cook delicious food for hungry, appreciative people. My boss is great, too, and is always available when any issues arise, or when I just need some advice.

Cons

Having to find summer employment could be a problem, but luckily I have some connections in my town, so it hasn't been an issue for me thus far.

College Chefs2016-12-17