College Chefs "summers" Reviews | Glassdoor

College Chefs Employee Reviews about "summers"

Updated Aug 20, 2019

Found 124 reviews

4.4
College Chefs CEO Kevin Gadus
Kevin Gadus
Pros
  • "I get to write my own menus and do my own ordering, all within a clearly stated budget(in 29 reviews)

• "As a relatively young chef with about 10 years in restaurants this job is a breeze(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Summers off, which is a great thing but chefs don't get paid during the summer since there's no one to cook for(in 6 reviews)

• "No summer pay, but will assist in placing you if willing to travel(in 4 reviews)

Reviews about "summers"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great company"

I have been working at College Chefs

Pros

Great schedule and opportunity for creativity. Lots of pto on the school breaks! Wonderful management team and great support!

Cons

No summer work so finding something for summers can be challenging. However the do help with job placement for those who can do the type of jobs they can get you

College Chefs2017-07-05
  2. "Best Fraternity and Sorority Foodservice Around"

I have been working at College Chefs full-time

Pros

Creative Freedom, Upward Advancement, Awesome Team Members, Supportive Management Staff, Quality of Life, Cooking Awesome Food

Cons

Summers off, which is a great thing but chefs don't get paid during the summer since there's no one to cook for.

Advice to Management

More communication between upper management and the people on the ground level, in houses making the food for the houses.

College Chefs2017-05-26
  3. "interview"

Selector

I have been working at College Chefs

Pros

great interview process, low work week, creativity

Cons

summers could be difficult off, company trying to help

College Chefs2017-01-19
  4. "Good chef job for people with kids"

Current Employee - Chef

I have been working at College Chefs full-time

Pros

If u love cooking good food and doing it the right way this is a great job. The hours are favorable especially if you have kids in school during the day and you want to be home at night. Rarely am I not home by 5:30. Also my manager is a real person who loves food as much as I do.

Cons

As other have said summers may not be ideal but the paid time off during the school year more than make up for it.

Advice to Management

I would like to better exchange ideas with other chefs other than the few on my campus

College Chefs2016-07-09
  5. "Good Experience Overall"

I worked at College Chefs full-time

Pros

Made me a better chef Fun to make own menus Positive work environment Decent work schedule and good time off

Cons

Summers off was the biggest issue Creating new menus was fun but became tedious kitchen I was in would sometimes get dirtied out of my control

Advice to Management

Expand options for summer opportunities and provide additional support to find summer work

College Chefs2016-03-13

"Employment"

Former Employee - Sous Chef in Bloomington, IN

I worked at College Chefs full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun atmosphere. Definitely different than your day to day life in a restaurant. Easier hours. Decent pay. 4 weeks of holiday pay.

Cons

No ones held accountable for anything. Supervision shouldn't be needed. But the hiring process isn't that great. Head chefs think they can get away with doing nothing by simply putting all the actual food work onto the sous chefs. 'They're to busy writing menus & making orders, & doing the budget.' Also summers can be a drag. (In Indiana you can no longer collect unemployment. So have fun being broke for awhile.... Though college chefs was doing a program that allowed you to stick money back and receive it over the summer.) other than that the only thing that upset me was when I called my head chef to tell him I wouldn't be coming back the next year no one else called me. Not my immediate supervisor, nothing. I get that I quit. But I'd been with the company for two years and I went through a lot. And thought I had made some kind of friend connections. I at least thought that someone with the company would want to know why and get my feedback and concerns. But in reality that place is just a revolving door. I honestly think sorority and fraternity houses should just keep the kitchen private. Stop bringing in the outside corporations.

Advice to Management

Get better management.

College Chefs2014-12-29