College Hunks Hauling Junk Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Omar Soliman

Pros
  • Fairly good pay (with tips), flexible schedule, nice coworkers (in 7 reviews)

• Good pay, strong bond with coworkers, company cookouts, gets you in shape, find some cool stuff (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • It's really hard work and it's physically demanding (in 4 reviews)

• Summer heat, long hours I've worked 12 (in 4 reviews)

1. "Work life at College Hunks Junk"

Current Employee - Team Captain in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Team Captain in Houston, TX

I have been working at College Hunks Hauling Junk part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You have fun, travel from most of the time, and meet new people. The most memorable experience was time when it was hard, or you meet clients that were out of this world. The work culture was pretty laid back with your co-workers.

Cons

It's really hard work and it's physically demanding. you would have to work long hours if you have multiple work orders. There's also days where you wouldn't even work.

Advice to Management

Hire people who can actually handle this type of work.

2. "Great Part time summer job"

Former Employee - Mover in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Mover in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at College Hunks Hauling Junk part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are looking for a job for the summer College Hunks is a great opportunity. It can be a lot of hard work but it keeps you in shape and tips are an added bonus. Most of the guys I worked with were cool and they were all willing to help when I first started. Overall I enjoyed my time but also could not wait for it to be over.

Cons

Pay is not great especially for all the hard physical labor you have to do but then again when I applied I wasn't expecting a huge pay day. I had a few work weeks that were more than 40 hours but they pay overtime. Its not fun sitting and waiting in a huge, hot truck when it breaks down, which happened a few times.

3. "It's a good work environment"

Former Employee - Driver/Wingman in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Driver/Wingman in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at College Hunks Hauling Junk (Less than a year)

Pros

The guys you works with a usually great. It's not just anyone and you can typically relate to everyone you work with. The tips are pretty good as well and the schedule is fairly flexible.

Cons

The management doesn't know too much about the real process. The estimates come from a call center and you have to live up to a sales pitch someone half way across the world gave. It can make the final billing process very uncomfortable. The pay isn't great for how hard you have to work. The summers are brutal and as the driver you feel obligated to pull extra weight.

Advice to Management

Listen to your workers. They understand the moving process better than people in an office. Understand how hard it is for them and that circumstances arise that are far out of their control.

5. "Great"

Current Employee - Junk Hauling Captain in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Junk Hauling Captain in Nashville, TN

I have been working at College Hunks Hauling Junk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good money, Great co workers. I enjoy the responsibilities given to me and the good feeling of doing a good job and hearing it from customers

Cons

Physically demanding on moves and certain junk jobs can be physically demanding also. Stressful at times depending on what jobs your at.

6. "Best job Ive ever had."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL

I have been working at College Hunks Hauling Junk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work environment speaks for itself, free beer fridays, consistent potlucks, contests, free food, the list continues. This is at the HQ in Tampa FL as a sales agent taking inbound calls.

Cons

Can get really repetitive obviously as any other call center sales position.

Advice to Management

Promote me to shift lead next time a position opens :)

7. "Owner is clueless about business or how to treat people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at College Hunks Hauling Junk full-time

Pros

There is nothing good to say, from myself or anyone else who has worked at the East Helms Houston location

Cons

The owner is in panic mode everyday ! You will be asked to have your family write positive reviews about the company about services they never received. Owner routinely does jobs off the books in zip codes that belong to other franchisee's which if corporate knew about he would be out of business.Everyday you just listen to ownership complain about money when all they do is buy luxury vehicles and brag about how they could buy and sell you ten times over, it makes for a very hostile environment where your status as a peasant is made very clear.You will be asked to falsify documents, lie,whatever it takes to compensate for his lack of business knowledge. Your primary form of communication with ownership is via text which is a complete joke when you need to discuss important matters.The toilet in the office is leaking sewage onto the bathroom floor and nothing is done,everything your told is a lie from day one.This franchise will not last long due to rule violations and lack of competency at the ownership level.

Advice to Management

Lose the superior ego and instead of all profits feeding your lifestyle reinvest into the business,more trucks,better facilities the things you learn from day one in any business class.

8. "Mover"

Former Employee - Mover in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Mover in Raleigh, NC

I worked at College Hunks Hauling Junk part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co workers were great, Semi rewarding work if you enjoy manual labor, great customers usually tip or provide a little food,

Cons

close moves, long days sometimes switch to night, long hours, back breaking work, high turnover field, spend a lot of money eating

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, provide more equipment for lifting, make sure franchise owners know something about moving and a little less about money

9. "College Hunks Hauling Junk"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Haven, CT

I worked at College Hunks Hauling Junk part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours to accomodate my class schedule; I obtained a State of Connecticut CDL-2 license which was necessary to drive the company truck; I learned about pricing jobs and interacting with customers.

Cons

The trade off for flexibility in scheduling to accomodate classes may result in less work hours available for you to select from.

10. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at College Hunks Hauling Junk part-time (More than a year)

Pros

College Hunks Hauling Junk is a great company to work for. The entire team is friendly and willing to help you with whatever you need.

Cons

There aren't many downsides. However, in the past year I have seen a few employees get let go.

Advice to Management

I believe management is doing what they need to do. I don't have any advice nor critiques for the management.

11. "Overall good company, some bad patches, would recommend."

Former Employee - Lead Junk Captain in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Lead Junk Captain in Melbourne, FL

I worked at College Hunks Hauling Junk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, strong bond with coworkers, company cookouts, gets you in shape, find some cool stuff. Very straighforward pricing and training.

Cons

Spotty hours for junk hauling, may have to do jobs you dont feel safe doing, lots of garbage hauling, occasional hoarder cleanout or eviction cleanout.

Advice to Management

Listen to the concern of your employees, they are the ones at/on the job.