College Nannies and Tutors Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Joe Keeley

Pros
  • Very flexible hours and fair pay for the work you put in (in 14 reviews)

• I love CNT because I get to meet lots of great kids and families, and its a great experience in working with kids in an educational capacity (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is low for on-call assignments (in 12 reviews)

• Low nanny pay in comparison with going rates in area and how much families are being charged, No raises, No benefits (in 15 reviews)

1. "Great Side Gig!"

Current Employee - Nanny in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Nanny in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at College Nannies and Tutors part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, Families and nannies are background checked which makes everyone feel safer, Get to work with a lot of different families, Pay taken care of by company through mobile/online app

Cons

Advice to Management

Would love a raise after serving a substantial amount of time with company, and would love events to meet the fellow nannies!

2. "CNT"

Former Employee - Nanny in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Nanny in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at College Nannies and Tutors part-time

Pros

I worked with CNT for four years because the schedule is ideal if you're in school. Schedules always change and it was easy for me to alter according to my semester or quarter.

Cons

There isn't a con to working with CNT if you have a lot of other things going on outside of work and school. Essentially, the most important thing about this position is to be a great nanny or tutor to, be kind to children and make parents feel comfortable and always be on top of your schedule.

Advice to Management

My managers were great.

"Fulfilling College Job"

Current Employee - Tutor and Sitter in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Tutor and Sitter in Austin, TX

I have been working at College Nannies and Tutors part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible with college schedules, understanding managers, great interpersonal connections with students

Cons

Relatively high turnaround for managerial positions, could be giving their employees higher pay for what they charge families for their services

"Kids great, company & staff disappointing"

Former Employee - On-Call Nanny in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - On-Call Nanny in Overland Park, KS

I worked at College Nannies and Tutors part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can be a good job if you do not have a busy schedule. You can get a good number of hours per week if you are available enough.

Most of the kids are great. I rarely encountered any with major issues.

You're given plenty of documents on babysitting to read and many videos too that try to teach basic care for children and show you how to navigate the company website/app.

Eventually if you work enough hours I'm assuming you can work up to a decent wage.

The other nannies and most of the parents are kind and efficient. Most parents will explain their situations well enough and be open to questions and available if you need to contact them. I wouldn't expect a parent to encourage contact since you are there to supervise so they can do whatever they need to do, but it's nice that plenty of them still offer it.

Rarely there are social events for the nannies and other staff to get together for an evening which is nice.

Cons

Underpaid. Start at $10.50 after basic requirements met, takes quite a while to reach next stages for raises. You are paid the same whether it's 1 average kid, 5 kids, 2 kids with behavioral issues, etc. Any decent nanny could be making more at other businesses or on their own. They prioritize quantity of work over quality when considering for raises.

The company has no policy for severe weather. You have to stand your ground if you want the shift off for safety reasons. They pressure you because they do not want to disappoint any clients, but your safety should always come first. $10.50 is not worth risking a life or your only means of transportation.

Some of the office staff do not communicate well and are not very approachable. The same employees come off as judgmental and superficial. Another nanny told me that she was apparently fired but was not informed; she figured it out after several weeks of not being given hours. I'm guessing she called and asked since no one informed her.

The company seems to have a good idea for the layout of how things work, but in various instances do not put the plan into action. One example is being told to use a cell phone (see below) to figure things out while babysitting yet at the same time that can get you fired and is against company policy.

You will be fully blamed for kids who act out. I have heard this from a couple of other nannies but experienced it once myself. You may care for children with mental issues or whose parents are not managing them correctly on their own time. I witnessed a mother failing to control her young children before she hurried out the door and left me with them. They had major behavioral issues in comparison to all kids I'd cared for prior, both at this job and personal babysitting experience. A staff person called me the next day to berade me and blatantly insult my character directly despite my consistent 4-5 star ratings prior (because the mother complained that I wasn't able to control her kids and made other mistakes). I was also scolded for not knowing how to cook the meal the children requested (the mother had me cook a pizza instead). No where does the job description state that you need cooking experience; no other parents ever assumed I knew how and would at least ask first or had an easy dinner plan (which didn't require finding miscellaneous ingredients and kitchenware). The office employee then told me that if I needed advice or any info I should "look it up on my phone", which is strictly against company policy and would have me fired if I was caught (which is why I never did it). She failed to tell me how I could improve beyond "control the kids" and "look it up". I doubted contacting other staff would benefit me in any way so did not inform anyone of her behavior toward me. I fully understood why the mother was upset but not why she didn't see how hypocritical she was being given her own lack of control over her own children. This was the final straw for me and I gave 3 week notice shortly after. It's one thing to expect certain things from employees, but it's another to attack their very character/being and failing to provide proper advice or help.

Overall, even if I had not had to deal with the one instance with the mother and staff worker, I would rate the experience and company 2 stars. It's not an ideal workplace but manageable if you really need the job.

Advice to Management

Some of the office workers could benefit from some classes or training for communication and correct/amiable behavior.

Phone use should not be encouraged if you are going to fire nannies (which apparently happened once a while back) or advertise that nannies never use phones. It sends a conflicting message to all parties.

The starting wage of $10.50 is low given that the employees are on call, the stress that can be involved depending on the situation, the travel expenses, and the varying number of children being supervised. If anything, pay should increase based on number of kids. It's ridiculous that you are paid $10.50 to watch 1 and $10.50 to watch 3-5.

The nannies should be required or encouraged to gain cooking experience before expecting it from them. Some training would be beneficial or asking the nannies to learn instead of assuming that everyone has the skill or is being proactive and learning on their own when it isn't mentioned to them.

Include more quality factors in the system for getting raises.

6. "Nanny"

Current Employee - Nanny in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Nanny in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at College Nannies and Tutors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Independent and flexible work schedule; active; fun

Cons

Parental communication/lack of communication
    No contract

7. "On Call Nanny."

Current Employee - On Call Nanny in Glenview, IL
    Current Employee - On Call Nanny in Glenview, IL

I have been working at College Nannies and Tutors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love to make my own schedule.

Cons

I have no comment about it.

Advice to Management

none

"Role model"

Current Employee - Role Model in Mason, OH
    Current Employee - Role Model in Mason, OH

I have been working at College Nannies and Tutors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, playing with kids, timesheets

Cons

pay, driving all over city, family culture varies

Advice to Management

raise pay and take into consideration where employees live when doing placements

9. "nanny"

Former Employee - Nanny in Summit, NJ
    Former Employee - Nanny in Summit, NJ

I worked at College Nannies and Tutors part-time (More than a year)

Pros

organized and had amazing families to work for

Cons

i felt that the monthly meetings were very unnecessary

10. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Tutor in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Tutor in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at College Nannies and Tutors part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Work according to your availability
    - Supervisor (at least mine) is very approachable and easy to work with

Cons

- $12/hr. Pay could be a tad higher
    - You may not have a lot of students at the beginning of the school year, but that easily change during mid-terms

11. "Good for a little extra"

Current Employee - Tutor in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Tutor in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at College Nannies and Tutors part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you enjoy tutoring kids, this job has a good variety. You are given students and usually they stay with you. Occasionally students are reassigned or you cover for another tutor.

Cons

The hours are incredibly inconsistent and, for me, scarce. I was hired 3 months ago and barring training, I've worked for 2 hours. I think this might be an anomaly, but I'm not sure.

Advice to Management

Don't hire so many employees that you barely give some of them any hours.