College Pro Reviews in Indianapolis, IN | Glassdoor

Indianapolis, IN Area

4.3
April Broome

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great please to learn all aspects of running a business (in 19 reviews)

• Flexible work conditions and nice to work outside (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Say goodbye to work/life balance if you want to be successful (in 12 reviews)

• Really hard work - if you aren't willing to put in the (in 22 reviews)

1. "Ideal Platform for Young Entrepreneurs"

Current Contractor - Franchise Owner in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Contractor - Franchise Owner in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at College Pro as a contractor

Pros

College Pro is an ideal workplace for individuals looking to securely operate their own business. College Pro allows for great opportunities for promotion, as they look internally to advance the experiences of their employees. They also provides the tools and training for individuals to execute a successful first year as a business owner! College Pro has opened doors for me that would have been locked if I had not had the opportunity to operate my own franchise.

Cons

The downfall of College Pro is that franchisees will have to forfeit leisure time that most college students would usually have, yet this does allows individuals to get ahead of their peers!

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to provide more emphasis on financial position during training, as well as throughout the season such as in GSR's.

Oct 31, 2016 – Community Manager

Thanks for your review. It's definitely a considerable time commitment to run a successful business, and does come at the cost of leisure time for most -- we agree with 100%. Thanks for the input.... More

2. "Exceptional Development & Fast Learning Enviornment"

Current Employee - General Manager in Westfield, IN
    Current Employee - General Manager in Westfield, IN

I have been working at College Pro full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You are in control. You are given ownership from the franchise role all the way up if you go full-time. What you put in is what you will get out. Set goals and go hit them!

The culture is incredible. Surrounding yourself with future leaders or entrepreneurs that have the same drive and ambitions creates a strong performance culture with a ton of support.

Development is unmatched. I have yet to see anything close to this in terms of learning at a fast pace. You are becoming a generalist that pulls up a lot of skills slowly, rather than a specialist that pulls one skill up quickly. Very transferable to future paths after College Pro.

Money correlates to effort and ownership in business. This covered my family support and wedding, while allowing me to get my first home and new car. I am grateful such an opportunity existed with the support and coaching around financials at the same time.

Cons

Not for everyone. You have to be have the drive and values that many students don't possess. Long hours can be part of it, but that usually comes with not knowing how to manage time effectively as a first year business owner.

Autonomy can also hurt sometimes. If you are falling behind, it's likely because you are not holding yourself accountable. You must make changes or seek support from your coach to improve. Introspection is also essential. Looking within to constantly change yourself and develop as a leader and business owner is crucial to learning and scaling the business quickly.

Branding is hit and miss. Due to managers owning their own areas, some painters and customers have an amazing experience, while others are treated very poorly. This can cause polarity in reviews and brand health for the company.

Advice to Management

Watch who is offered the role. This is not for everyone and it must be earned and fit the right individual, along with matching their needs.

Keep the training, support, and culture going! Love the focus on brand health in recent years to improve experience for all marketers, painters, managers, customers, and Full-Time staff. Thank you for everything taught and coached up to this point!

Oct 12, 2016 – Community Manager

Thank you so much for your detailed review, Westfield! You articulated the program beautifully. We're thrilled to have you as part of our story, and especially loved reading how this enabled you... More

3. "Franchise Manager"

Current Contractor - Franchise Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Contractor - Franchise Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at College Pro as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

They provide of intense training and 1-1 coaching
    It enables you to create a network of people with similar goals

Cons

They do not give a full picture of what it entails to have a contract with them. There are real financial risks and it is totally dependent on the individual. However, if you read the contract, you know what is there for you.

Advice to Management

I think they should really emphasize pros and cons of working with College pro, because if it is not the right fit, it will be a bad experience. Also, downsize the amount of franchisees under the GM's. They have a lot to handle and cannot give more time to coach individually.

Oct 12, 2016 – Community Manager

Indianapolis, we appreciate your feedback, thanks for sharing. We'll keep working on being transparent about the ups and downs of the program -- it's a lot to handle, we know this. Thank you.... More

4. "Good experience"

Former Employee - Marketer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Marketer in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

great resume builder, was able to go where i wanted and manage myself

Cons

boss sucked, It was always a struggle to get paid, pretty much anybody can be a boss

5. "Life changing experience for the right person"

Former Employee - Franchise Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Franchise Manager in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

- Create your own destiny
    - More responsibility than any other college student could have
    - Get to learn all about all different aspects of business
    - Get real life experience
    - Huge resume builder

Cons

- Heavy work load - must manage time well
    - Lots of responsible - can be a con for people who are not looking to be an entrepreneur
    - Not built for people who don't want to put in the work that any business would demand

6. "Worst, most demeaning job of my life"

Former Contractor - Franchise Owner in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Contractor - Franchise Owner in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at College Pro as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

good experience for a resume

Cons

if you are offered a franchisee position- DO NOT TAKE IT. It sounds legit and the dollar signs are hard to turn down. But you won't make that money, you'll lose it. You'll come away exhausted and broke. If you're willing to work over 80 hours a week, 7 days a week, then go for it. Prepare for no social life and problems beyond your imagination.

Advice to Management

Don't sugar coat the job