College Summit Reviews | Glassdoor

J.B. Schramm

1. "Alumni Leader"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at College Summit (More than a year)

Pros

Connecting with high school students to improve their awareness of higher education.
    Working cohesively with other alumni of the organization to spread the importance for students to further their education after high school
    Positive environment to work in

Cons

Differences in individual goals for organization members - lacks a collective goal

2. "RUN! DON'T WALK AWAY FROM COLLEGE SUMMIT"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at College Summit full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My colleagues were nice and the actual work, helping low income students get to college, was very rewarding.

Cons

Working at College Summit was the worst decision I ever made in my life! I moved from my hometown to D.C. to work for this company, and they screwed me.

I worked at the company for nine months. When I was hired, I was told there would be layoffs in every department in the next couple of months, but not to worry because the department was immune, so at the time I was not worried about my job. Nine months later not only was my position eliminated but the head of the department, my boss, was let go as well, due to a looming bankruptcy. Why fill my position when you know it won't be needed in a couple of months?

The department also had me doing the same work as another employee, which was weird and confusing. That employee was hard to work with and their work was subpar. Of corse their position was not eliminated but mine was....

College Summit is not loyal to their employees. They hire people and fire people at the drop of a dime. I always felt uneasy after all the layoffs. Moral was always low, and the building always seemed like a ghost town.

This is the worst company I have ever worked for. Think very carefully before you decided to work for College Summit because you could get fired in an instant. And always have a backup plan.

Advice to Management

Losing my job was the absolute worst thing that has happened to me in my life. Management doesn't care about the little people. They step on the little people rise to the top . I never saw them around the building. A good majority of the time the managers worked from home. They are very selfish people and could care less about the people working in their department. Management is awful .

3. "Accounting"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Washington, DC

I worked at College Summit full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Off during the Christmas holiday til January 2nd

Cons

Low pay and no raises unless you're in good with upper management.

Advice to Management

Fire yourself!

4. "Lead HVACR Instructor"

Current Employee - Lead HVACR Instructor in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Lead HVACR Instructor in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at College Summit full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Seeing the students progress gives a lot of job fullfillment

Cons

My students are getting jobs, prior to graduation, making as much as I do. I have had no appraisals nor feedback on my performance. Instructor turnover is so prevalent that some students have had 4 instructors in one 9 month course

5. "Work Environment"

Former Employee - Writing Coach in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Writing Coach in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at College Summit (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible organization that is working towards the betterment of all students, truly a one of a kind experience

Cons

There's definitely a shortages for some volunteers to be compensated

6. "High and Lows"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at College Summit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the best people I've worked with.
    Serving the students is a great and fun part of the job.
    Flexible work arrangements
    Location

Cons

Seems like a reactive organization and not a proactive one.
    Flexible work arrangements mean that snow days are work days. You're expected to be responsive pretty much around the clock.
    Little room for growth.
    There is so much fluidity and room for innovation but the lack of a clear, organizational direction means that even if it's a great addition to the program, it could be cut if it doesn't bring in money.
    Fee-for-service model is very expensive meaning we often don't serve the schools with the most need.
    HR/the on-boarding is very disorganized.
    Some seasons are EXTREMELY busy and other times of year, you are scraping for work.
    Turnover is a concern

Advice to Management

Nail down a strategy or plan that doesn't eliminate the schools with the most need and staff that serve those students. Focus on creating processes that streamline internal program development, not make it more complicated

"Miss the people, not the place."

Current Employee - Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Washington, DC

I have been working at College Summit full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The general staff is great for the most part (especially non-managers).
    Great mission. Great students. Great educators.

Cons

Leadership is a mess and most of them have been booted out, even the CEO/Founder.
    Big-ideas, yet no money.
    People who have no business working in top level positions are making six figures.
    Not a lot of room for advancement, especially if you do not have the ear of top management.
    Managers need training on how to be managers.
    The staff morale is extremely low.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff. They are the ones connected to the schools, educators and districts, not you.
    Go back to the basics and figure out how to put a spin on that so your sponsors will fall in love with you again.

8. ""A great company to work for""

Former Employee - Alumni Leader in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Alumni Leader in New York, NY

I worked at College Summit part-time

Pros

College Summit staff are very passionate!

Cons

There are no cons to working with College Summit as an Alumni Leader.

9. "Great mission, difficult time for organization"

Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at College Summit full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people work there, and they care a lot about the mission to help low-income students on the path to college. You're working a lot with schools and teachers, which is great.

Cons

The organization is in transition with new leadership and fewer employees to do the work. It seems they aren't as interested in professional growth until you have another opportunity on the table. They've lost a lot of their institutional knowledge and talent in the past 12 months.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on the things that make College Summit great (mission, supporting students, helping educators, summer workshops).

10. "The College Summit mission is front and center"

I worked at College Summit full-time

Pros

College Summit has very high quality staff all truly focused on working with high schools to help low-income students get to college. Working at College Summit, you're part of a great team. Leadership is caring about mission and about people. Technology and analysis are seen as valuable. Caring about students as real people, with huge potential, not as charity-cases, is a core value of the organization, and it's lived.

Cons

There is lots of work to do, and it would be great if there were more people and more resources to do it.

Advice to Management

Be sure to pace yourselves for the marathon.