College Works Painting Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jeff Gunhus, Spencer Pepe, Jason Reid, Matthew Stewart

Pros
  • A college student running a business (in 41 reviews)

• One of my favorite motto's is "Work hard play hard" (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of door to door marketing (sucks but it works) but over all pros outweighs cons by a ton (in 38 reviews)

• Definitely work many long hours but that's something to be expected if you are truly trying to challenge yourself (in 24 reviews)

1. "Awesome opportunity and a great culture"

I have been working at College Works Painting full-time

Pros

Get experience and seeing what youre made of.

Cons

A lot of work. Be prepared.

"Intern AKA Branch Manager or Executive Manager"

Pros

Pros:
    * Learn sales (lots of sales), management skills
    * Improve self confidence, social skills, communication, become a leader
    * Increase your level of responsibility
    * Build hard work ethics (trust me, you'll work harder than you've ever worked before)
    * Looks great on resume
    * Loose weight jogging around with all the door-to-door sales you'll be doing the entire internship
    * Get to actually say that you "ran your own business" - though it's not entirely the same as running your own actual business.
    * No where else will you gain these kind of skills - in retrospect, it is still a very unique experience (difficult, but unique)
    * Though I quit before the "Funday Friday" events started, I hear some of them are fun
    * Cancun trip a the end of summer (off-season in October, during your next year Fall classes) IF you sell AND produce enough $$ (think it's like $60K+)

Cons

* Need to put in A LOT of hours of hard work. This is not for lazy people.
    * 25+ hrs/week over spring semester
    * 60+ hrs/week the day your spring classes end - through the end of summer (August)
    * Very little pay - everything is commission based. If you factor in all the hours you put in, you really only make less than $5/hour - and that's assuming you actually produce 90% of the houses you sell. You don't make anything until when you start producing work starting late May.
    * Managing $10/hr painters. This was absolutely the most frustrating and irritating part. DM's don't let you pay your painters any more than $10/hr starting - so you're stuck with POS employees. They incorporate a slowly increasing wage based on how many hours painters work, but it really doesn't work out. Something like every 100hrs they work, they get $1 raise, which is nothing. 90% of your painters will quit on you and stop showing up. 50% of the interviews you set for painter positions are no shows. You find them all on Craigslist or similar sites. If all your painters quit on you and you're left with none, guess who's painting your houses for you? YOU are. Until you hire more painters which again quit on you in a week.This happened to me and SEVERAL interns, and will happen to you non-stop all summer. Be aware of this. They sell you on the whole "run your own business" thing yet set you up for failure with POS $10/hr employees. 1 of my painters was a drunk and got a DUI on his way to work one day. 1 of my painters was filed for "missing person" until they found him in jail. Others did drugs. SOME were actually cool people that I enjoyed managing - until they quit on me. THESE are the kind of employees you'll be "running your own business" with. Just an FYI.
    * DM's. Many of the DM's are also college kids who think they're the sh*t by bossing you around, while actually having poor management skills. If this happens to you (like it did to me), talk to your VP and demand a different DM. Working for someone you like versus someone you can't stand makes all the difference!

Advice to Management

* Don't work your interns so damn hard or they'll quit on you (like me and several others did).
    * Give your interns more freedom to run their "business" how they want to - makes it more fun
    * Happy interns drive better results and enjoy their job more (more money in your pocket)

"Not Worth the Time"

I worked at College Works Painting full-time

Pros

Full time job for college students

Cons

Hard work for little pay

5. "Great Culture"

Pros

1. Great Culture
    2. Good resume booster
    3. Learn Project Management , Leadership, and other valuable skills on
    4. Very hands on training

Cons

1. Long Hours
    2. Hard to do work/life balance

Advice to Management

N/A

"Don't do it"

Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at College Works Painting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get a real perspective of the scammers out there.

Cons

Way too many to list them all. I booked and painted multiple houses over a period of months all for $600 for the entire summer. I would've made thousands if I just freelanced it. They "guarantee" a $4000 minimum to get you to sign on, but they don't mention there are ridiculous qualifications for this minimum. I received numerous phone calls every week basically getting bullied by management. They honestly made me feel like I was in the wrong when I was working way too much for way too little. They say this builds your resume, but a lot of REAL companies see this as a scam as well. It was a complete waste of time and energy, and my university doesn't even accept it as an internship.

Advice to Management

Shut the place down and go get a real job. Or at least start by not treating your employees like slaves. Change your culture description to reflect the actual culture of the company.

"Branch Manager"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at College Works Painting (Less than a year)

Pros

You learn a lot about yourself. Depending on your district manager you can find great mentors.

Cons

Difficult to make good money unless you work really hard. No show for your work until you start producing.

"Incredible Company with lots of Opportunity for Growth"

Current Employee - District Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - District Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at College Works Painting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Any industry you go into you're going to have to pay your dues and work hard to prove yourself. This program is not for everyone and they advertise it as such, you're going to have to work hard and any challenge you face you are facing it for a reason: because you need to learn to overcome it. I've been with College Works for 4 years and have had my fair of challenges but I'm so glad I did because with every challenge I learned. I also learned what I'm good at in business and what I need to work on. My advice is work smarter not harder, if you want to get better don't complain, practice this stuff on your own because those who succeed tend to attribute it to themselves and those who fail blame others. Love the culture of the company, the internship is only 6 months so enjoy the ride.

Cons

None, keep doing what you're doing.

"Terrible experience, the people here abuse the students."

Pros

I really cant think of anything good to say. The Vice president and district managers will try their best to con you into thinking this is a great opportunity but please dont believe. Save your time for something better.

Cons

The student mentors and the pyramid scheme where what made this internship unbearable. The pay is far below minimum wage with the amount worked.

Advice to Management

Dont lie to others to join this shady company.

"Poorly Managed Company from Top Down"

Former Employee - Marketer/Painter in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Marketer/Painter in Chicago, IL

I worked at College Works Painting part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible Work Hours, friendly co-workers, great way to stay outside, beautiful neighborhoods, not a bad place for a summer time internship,

Cons

Limited work due to weather, poorly managed time sheets, poorly trained managers, very rag-tag and unprepared, limited supplies

Advice to Management

Check up on the managers more often and provide a better layout for managers to follow

"You're Being Sold On The Idea of Running Your Own Business"

I worked at College Works Painting full-time

Pros

CWP will teach you about sales - the branch manager internship is all about sales. (You sell home owners on the idea that you will paint their house with your team.)

Cons

You have to pay for all of your own equipment. You have to drive your own car and they don't give you money for gas. 40 percent of your sale is taken off the top by CWP. This makes it difficult to hire experienced workers. You market your business door to door.

Advice to Management

You need to be clear about the very sales based focus of this internship.