College for Creative Studies Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Student Tutor"

Former Employee - Student Tutor in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Student Tutor in Detroit, MI

I worked at College for Creative Studies part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was allowed to work on homework when nobody needed help and the secudual was very flexible. The fulltime staff was increadibly friendly and considerate.

Cons

Not many students come in to get help. Also they only hire current students. I feel like the student sucess center should have been advertised more.

Advice to Management

I enjoyed the experence.

2. "Intern"

Former Employee - Design Intern in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Design Intern in Detroit, MI

I worked at College for Creative Studies (Less than a year)

Pros

Good environment easy going and relaxed

Cons

Work doesn't push the intern, a lot of busy work along side the kind of interesting stuff.

3. "Pre-College Mentor"

Current Employee - Pre-college Mentor in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Pre-college Mentor in Detroit, MI

I have been working at College for Creative Studies part-time

Pros

Living on campus, spending time with students, free food, pay, adventures, and free time during the day.

Cons

The food isn't always the greatest, the program is always growing, there will be team issues, students come from all backgrounds and they like to test the rules.

Advice to Management

Always keep growing and learning from past experiences.

5. "Great college and fun workplace"

Former Employee - Various Part Time Jobs in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Various Part Time Jobs in Detroit, MI

I worked at College for Creative Studies part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone here is super nice. Campus is small and easy to navigate, it is definitely my favorite place I've ever worked.

Cons

Cafeteria food is often burnt, moldy, or undercooked. It also lacks variety, so if you work here, pack a lunch.

Advice to Management

I honestly do not have too much advice for them, everything here is pretty much perfect, best place to work.

6. "CCS is a community of talented academics and professionals committed to excellence in design education."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at College for Creative Studies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at CCS means that you are surrounded by talent, both that of faculty and students. It's a great place to take advantage of attending some of the amazing lecture events they set up with high-profile art and design professionals, and it can be a lot of fun to attend student exhibitions or even just to tour the hallways during the semester when students are hard at work. Benefits including time off was very fair.

Cons

As with any university or college, certain systems or policies can be slow to change or adapt. It can be hard to know who to talk to about getting something done when there are many departments and not a lot of transparency around who does what, but this can often by handled by attending staff meetings and making a point to get to know the staff in other departments.

"Positive experience overall, but definite room for improvement."

Former Employee - Admissions in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Admissions in Detroit, MI

I worked at College for Creative Studies full-time

Pros

The faculty, staff and especially students here are great. The benefits are phenomenal, especially the PTO and retirement. Normal business hours are cushy. Midtown is a beautiful area to work in and you feel like you're part of something special. Gorgeous offices.

Cons

The upper administration is a bit rigid and straight-laced. Annoyingly asinine policies such as dress code are enforced for staff. While I was there, the microwave in our building was removed because an executive-level staffer couldn't stand the smell of certain foods. Thanks a lot. There are not a lot of fun events or college-sponsored team building for staff: no official holiday party, no summer picnic, etc. You may expect that an art & design college would be a super fun environment to work in, but for administrative staff this is not so much the case. It's still a hard and fast place of business that expects a lot of its employees, and possibly includes a good amount of weekend work depending on your role.

Advice to Management

Loosen up. Encourage more play among your administrative staff. Be flexible with things like dress code. We are working with highly creative kids, they don't want to talk to stiffs in business attire. Your people work hard—throw them a company party or two. Morale will be all-the-better for it.

8. "It is what it is"

Former Employee - Technician in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Technician in Detroit, MI

I worked at College for Creative Studies part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At least when I was there, we were pretty much left alone to do whatever we were pleased to do as long as we "do our job". Most of your time working as a work study is spent waiting for the next customer, so you are essentially paid to do your homework.

Cons

The pay isn't great. Given that it isn't bad considering the work load is extremely light, but if you are a CCS student in Detroit with a entrepreneurial mindset (and skills) there are far more better paying and much more fun ways to make money on the side while you attend the school.

Advice to Management

Don't take yourselves too seriously.

9. "college professor College for Creative Studies"

Former Employee - College Professor in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - College Professor in Detroit, MI

I worked at College for Creative Studies part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with professional people that are knowledgeable in their field, excellent technological support, high student motivation

Cons

Will only consider people with PHD's for some positions

Advice to Management

Take in to consideration prospective employee's education and past experience. Sometimes experience and actual on job experience can count more than education.

10. "Great place to work overall with some challenges"

Current Employee - Admissions in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Admissions in Detroit, MI

I have been working at College for Creative Studies full-time

Pros

-Great benefits: retirement contribution whether you match it or not, paid winter break, lots of PTO days and 13 paid holidays
    -Good work/life balance
    -Excellent educational environment
    -Talented students and faculty
    -Beautiful campus
    -Opportunity for advancement (to an extent--usually people stay in the same department but they promote based on seniority within a department instead of hiring outside people)

Cons

-Technologically, the company could improve. Everything is still on paper instead of digital (they are just now starting to transition) which is surprising for a top design school. The software/email system used is inefficient and archaic on the administrative side.
    -There are not enough employee outings or company gatherings. CCS does not sponsor a holiday party anymore and there are no faculty/staff picnic or retreat/teambuilding activities. The offices are all very separate. Thus, the departments don't always work well together.
    -The pay is not great, as CCS is a private insitution.
    -There are no bonus opportunities and raises are irregular.

Advice to Management

Hold events where the departments can get to know each other better so the college can run more efficiently and be a friendlier place to be.

"A very passionate place. Unfortunately, due to the school being a private institution, pay is low."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Pros

Fantastic environment and lots of paid time off.

Cons

Major communication issues and again, low wages.