College of American Pathologists Reviews | Glassdoor

College of American Pathologists Reviews

Updated Jun 26, 2019

College of American Pathologists CEO Stephen Myers (no image)
Stephen Myers
Pros
  • "Good benefits that change to match common practice(in 7 reviews)

• "Benefits, flexible work schedule, work directly impacts healthcare, so many learning opportunities(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Too many managers of no one and very top heavy management that does not listen to the needs of the employees(in 3 reviews)

• "(in 2 reviews)

"Good Place To Work - Could Be Great With A Few Changes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northfield, IL

I have been working at College of American Pathologists full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The CAP has a set of staff values that describe how employees must work together. It feels pretty collaborative and respectful, versus the dog-eat-dog culture of the corporate world. While they look to grow revenue, the business model and success in the lab space provides a pretty stable environment for people who are fed up with the ups and downs of a profit focused industry. The "mission" gives even staff... without medical backgrounds a chance to contribute to improved patient care. It's technically a non-profit but you get to work on the projects and improvements that you would work on within most for profit companies. Pay is what you'd expect to find at a for profit but the benefits are much better. Cool building to work in and a lot of flexible work options that make life easier for working parents. There are a lot of internal training options but it seems like their focus has really been on improving managers.

Cons

I don't know why but it seems like managers are more likely to share positive feedback than constructive feedback. Leaves you with a feeling that you never really know what kind of performance rating to expect. There are a lot of meetings and this doesn't allow for much time to think or even do work! Process for decisions feels like it slows down progress. Feels like everything needs to be presented formally... to the top leadership or a group of people that decide which projects get the green light.

Advice to Management

Improve technology, procurement process, and prioritization. Let staff or management make some decisions. Tell me how you really think I'm doing, both good and bad.

College of American Pathologists2018-11-06

November 8, 2018Director, Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a thoughtful review and recommendations! We’re glad to hear that your overall impression of the CAP is positive and it’s feedback, such as yours, that points out specific opportunities for the continued improvement needed to ensure the CAP remains a great place to work.

"Need to walk the talk. Change is barely visible."

Current Employee - Full Time

I have been working at College of American Pathologists full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Clean facility. Insurance, 401k, competitive salaries.

Cons

The culture at CAP is to keep your mouth zipped, as management is not open to hear you. Management does not walk the talk --not friendly or people of integrity. Necessary change, if it happens, takes YEARS.

Advice to Management

Current efforts for a positive work experience are NOT working. Ditch the company wide surveys , focus groups. Quit wasting employee time. Invest in quality leadership one department at a time.

College of American Pathologists2019-06-27

July 1, 2019

Thank you for your candid comments. As you point out, we continually work toward improving the CAP work experience. We place a high priority on open, direct communication and building a “speak up” culture. If you have a specific area of concern, please contact Human Resources so that we can follow up.

3. "Moving in the right direction"

Current Employee - Manager

Pros

Flexible schedules, true commitment to improving patient care, friendly people, dedicated leadership

Cons

Leaders at the executive and director levels need to push down decisions to those closest to the topic. Need significant improvements in technology.

Advice to Management

Talk to staff that do these jobs every day, not their directors, before deciding on strategy. Better understand the laboratories before deciding strategy for technology. Invest in technology that enables staff to do their jobs. Bring in more onsite IT workers.

College of American Pathologists2019-05-16

May 24, 2019Director, Human Resources

Thank you for the helpful review and commentary. As an organization that was literally founded on the concept of “continuous improvement,” we are always analyzing and upgrading our technology assets in order to stay ahead in the market. As well, based on employee survey results, we consider transparency and inclusive decision making among our top priorities. Your feedback, on how we and whether we are progressing toward these or any other enterprise improvement objective, is always welcome.

"Toxic Environment"

Former Employee - Senior Business Financial Analyst in Northfield, IL

I worked at College of American Pathologists full-time for more than a year

Pros

Crucial Conversations Training led me to realize how to speak up against the toxic work culture

Cons

Bullying Racist Herd Culture

Advice to Management

Stop promoting those who bully talented minority employees

College of American Pathologists2019-01-19

January 22, 2019Director, Human Resources

We are sorry that your employment experience at the CAP was not positive. Crucial Conversations is one of our cornerstone learning opportunities, designed to ensure employees have the skills to initiate the right conversation with the right person at the right time. We are glad that you were able to leverage those skills to have meaningful conversations with colleagues. The CAP is committed to rooting out harassment, discrimination, retaliation and bullying behavior and we are continually improving our comprehensive preventing harassment, discrimination and retaliation program, and robust code of conduct. This past year, we rolled out a comprehensive strategy; including a new training program and revised policies and procedures, aimed at promoting a speak up culture so that we can quickly and effectively address inappropriate behavior.

"The CAP…A Special Place To Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northfield, IL

I worked at College of American Pathologists full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I loved my time at The CAP! I am a former employee who worked for The CAP for over 10 years. It was an incredibly difficult decision to leave because I loved working for this company and built amazing relationships with people across the organization. The environment is very familial and friendly. People really care about each other and you have the opportunity to work cross-functionally here on different project... teams. During my tenure, I worked for three amazing women who taught me so much. I am forever grateful for my experience here in terms of learning and being challenged. I was fortunate enough to work with a solid team and the company is small enough where you can really get to know senior leaders and feel you are making an impact. It’s very common to see the CEO walk around and stop by to chat to get to know the employees and be visible and connected. Another huge pro were the benefits. The insurance coverage and flexibility was top notch, too. This company cares about the well-being of their employees. Another benefit was the Learning & Development programs which not only focused on soft skills, but focused on learning the business and applying knowledge back on the job.

Cons

Every company has opportunities. I’d say the biggest opportunity is the lack of upward mobility and positioning employees for the future- higher level or even different jobs to expand on skill-sets. I felt I was outgrowing my role, but there were limitations with where to go next in the organization. It would have been great to have a more clearly defined career path and be “groomed” for a specific next step. People... tend stay in roles for a really long time and become very comfortable. It becomes difficult to move around. It would have been more motivating to see there was a role I was working towards or create job rotation opportunities to try new skill-sets.

Advice to Management

Offer more opportunities for movement, experience, and/or upward mobility. I found there to be many employees who were complacent in their roles and that created a bit of a stagnant feeling.

College of American Pathologists2018-11-09

November 12, 2018Director, Human Resources

We are glad to hear that our focus on continuous learning provided you with opportunities to grow as a professional during your tenure with the CAP. The relatively small size of our organization, as you point out, allows employees the opportunity to readily see the impact of their contributions and enables visibility at every level of the CAP. Although, as a smaller organization, new opportunities may not always be available when the employee feels ready to make their next career move, the challenging and multifaceted nature of our work often presents stretch opportunities in our employees’ current roles. Thank you for your feedback. We wish you continued career success and encourage you to keep in touch!

6. "Good fit for mission-focused professional"

Pros

Lots of opportunities to indirectly drive healthcare improvements Flexible work options Talent & attitude of my team keeps me here

Cons

Employee benefits have been declining over the last 10 years (except for top 10 executives and maybe the sales team) Technology challenges just keep increasing; makes day-to-day job very frustrating

Advice to Management

Remember that the membership is the backbone of our commercial business

College of American Pathologists2018-09-04

September 11, 2018

Thank you for your comments. You’ve identified several attributes of the CAP work experience that many CAP staff find most compelling. Our mission and vision to improve the quality of patient care inspire us to dedicate our talent and experience to the CAP. We are also proud to support our employees through a benefits portfolio that is better than many of our competitors. While most companies have looked for ways to scale back on employee benefits due to rising costs, at the CAP we regularly monitor and continue to maintain a highly competitive benefits package. You’ve also identified technology as an opportunity for improvement. As a current employee, you are undoubtedly aware of the significant investments we continue to make to enhance our information systems and improve the user experience for our members and customers, as well as for CAP staff. You will continue to see these improvements rolling out in the coming months and for several years to come. Thank you for your comments, and for your ongoing commitment to the CAP.

"Employee"

I have been working at College of American Pathologists full-time

Pros

Great health benefits that is all the reason minorities put up with this racist company

Cons

This company fired all black people in IS. It does not promote any minorities who been in this company for 20 years. The Doctor BOARD photo wall in the basement is a bunch of WHITE MALE! It is my way or the highway. They look for ANY EXCUSE to FIRE you. If you get promoted you can't bring your ideas. The manager's gossip toward one another. Everyone tells on each other. MANAGERS SPY on other staff who are... not even there!

Advice to Management

Stop gossiping with each other. Forgot sacks not everyone is going to be the ideal employee you want. Everyone learns differently. Stop with my way or the highway!!!! Mind your own business if it is not your staff.

College of American Pathologists2018-08-23

August 27, 2018

Thank you for the candid feedback. We want to hear even the most difficult messages in order to continuously improve the work environment for our employees as well as the programs we provide to our members and customers. We value diverse perspectives and backgrounds that contribute to our culture of improvement. Our mandatory annual preventing harassment, discrimination and retaliation training focuses on creating a “speak up” culture. We encourage anyone with a concern to talk to any level of management or Human Resources so that we can follow up on the specifics.

8. "Solid spot to grow"

I have been working at College of American Pathologists

Pros

Decent salary and benefits for newer people in the industry.

Cons

Mediocre management and a highly beuracratized structure.

College of American Pathologists2018-06-18

June 18, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide helpful feedback, and for highlighting our strong compensation and benefits package. As a leading medical specialty society, we are privileged to work with highly involved members. Their engagement and leadership necessitates a carefully developed organizational structure and governance processes.

"Manager"

I worked at College of American Pathologists full-time

Pros

Nice people, good training programs.

Cons

"This is the way we do it here," lack of creativity, overly structured, too many layers, too many managers, many of whom cannot do the work of the people they oversee. There are libraries with more personality.

College of American Pathologists2018-06-18

June 26, 2018

Thank you for your comments, and for acknowledging our learning opportunities. We’ve been putting a lot of effort into this area and we’re glad you noticed. The CAP operates in a heavily regulated environment and we’re proud to be a key part of ensuring laboratory quality and patient safety. That privilege comes with a responsibility that influences our processes. We could not do this work without the dedication and involvement of many pathologist members contributing their time and expertise; and, this, too, influences the way we work. We will continue to strive for the right balance of innovation and creativity while also preserving the critical work that has driven our success for nearly 75 years.

10. "Great company"

I have been working at College of American Pathologists part-time

Pros

Fair, flexible, nice people, good salaries, lot of extracurricular activities

Cons

limited growth opportunity in some areas

College of American Pathologists2018-05-30

June 13, 2018

Thanks for your comments. You’ve identified a number of things that we consistently hear make the CAP a great place to work – talented people, collegial atmosphere, caring community. We also recognize that, due to the size of our organization and low turnover, sometimes the “next job” is not available at the same time an individual feels ready to move. But that doesn’t necessarily limit opportunities for growth. Work at the CAP is complex and professionally challenging, so continuing to develop professionally is often necessary to continue to meet demands in a current role. Employees also take advantage of numerous opportunities to continue to develop their skills by participating in and leading special projects, cross-functional teams, and task forces. We encourage employees to further broaden their expertise by considering lateral moves in addition to advancement opportunities.

Found 61 reviews