College of Saint Mary Reviews | Glassdoor

College of Saint Mary Reviews

1.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dr. Maryanne Stevens, RSM

1. "Full-time student/Admissions Clerk/Asst. to Director of Single Parent Success/Asst. to Vice-President of Academic Affair"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at College of Saint Mary as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Small private all womens college devoted to empowering women from all walks of life. Small enough that students don't just become a number of $ sign. Ranks 10th in the nation and has for many years.

Cons

The cost of going to school here.

"Extremely demeaning. You want it to be a good place but it isn't."

Former Employee - Enrollment Services in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Enrollment Services in Omaha, NE

I worked at College of Saint Mary full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The mission really keeps everyone invested and the potential for this school is through the roof. There are some exceptional employees, if given the opportunity they could make CSM a fantastic place.

Cons

It is difficult to even begin to describe the environment at CSM. I think the best word to explain the company is petty. They higher their alums and if you are not an alumnae then you are treated as if you are incompetent. The president continuously discusses how amazing they treat the students, how she is invested, but does not support her own staff. The students experience the high turnover and talk about their frustrations with so many adjunct teachers. Also, the students become entitled due to the president bending over backwards to try to keep them on campus. The micromanagement cannot be expressed more; they read emails, ask why you left for a restroom break, and chastise those who have children. There is zero training when you join the organization and yet rip you apart if you make a mistake (that was never taught to you). It's sad that these reviews have been consistent since 2011 and yet nothing has been done. If you approach HR, they shrug and say sorry we can't do anything. It's a fear culture and you can never do enough even when you are putting in all your efforts. I wanted CSM to be more and stayed far too long because of this. They need to make changes or this school will fail like all other all women's colleges.

Advice to Management

There needs to be an overhaul of all departments. Change your mindset with "this is how it's always been" to "how can we grow". Trust your employees, they want to make the school successful but aren't allowed to work on new ideas or their daily tasks. Celebrate accomplishments and support mistakes by working on solutions. Listen, you have surveys that go out and you need to take into account what they are saying.

"Terrible environment run by terrible people"

I worked at College of Saint Mary full-time

Pros

There is a cafeteria on site, which is convenient but the food is not good. There is also a coffee shop, which has good coffee and pop.

Cons

This is by far the most terrible place I have worked. They are the most evil group of people I have met, and are obsessed with money. They brag about not having any debt, but it comes at the expense of their employees and sometimes their students. All of the departments are grossly understaffed and employees are made to do work far outside the realm of the job description.

There is a horrible case of nepotism that has been allowed to continue for years with very large mistakes being covered up, including ongoing sexual harassment. The HR department is a complete joke and has 0 knowledge of any HR policies or procedures. It takes months and multiple reminders to get something as simple as an address change done. The health insurance plan is expensive and barely covers anything, and if there are questions about the plan HR cannot answer them. The president is a chronic micromanager who is incredibly rude to staff, and refuses to listen to them even on matters that she has no knowledge of.

The mission is great, but it is only words and is not supported by the company's actions. They puts on a good front, but inside it is apparent that it is falling apart at the seams.

"Great mission, doesn't provide adequate support"

I worked at College of Saint Mary full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great mission and a few good programs that focus on the mission. Interesting and diverse student population. Great location in the city.

Cons

-poor leadership
    - little infrastructure to support existing programs
    -culture of micromanaging
    - lack of trust in employees
    - lack of support by supervisors (kind words, but no action when asked for assistance)
    -not prepared for upcoming trends in Higher education
    -a culture where feedback is seen as an employee disrespecting management
    -employees are reprimanded for advocating for needs

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, care for them, be ahead of trends in the field, better support existing programs.

"Low moral among employees and no improvement in sight"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Pros

College of Saint Mary has a wonderful mission statement and several programs that do great things for the community. There are also some wonderful staff and faculty members who still work there.

Cons

There are too many to list:
    -Low moral among employees
    -High health insurance costs
    -Management is oppressive
    -High turnover rate because of management
    -Too few employees to cover departments which means high stress
    -Hardly any integrity among senior level leaders
    -They do not value innovation
    -There is an environment of fear

Because of these cons, College of Saint Mary has become an organization with an infamous reputation. With high turnover and employee dissatisfaction, departments cannot accomplish their goals of supporting College of Saint Mary's wonderful programs. This organization would accomplish so much more if the leadership would change. Until then, I'm afraid that employees will continue to come, encounter an awful work environment, and then leave a mess behind them.

Advice to Management

Advice: Bring in new leadership. Until then, the environment of College of Saint Mary will not change. Until then, the employees of College of Saint Mary will continue to deal with manipulation, harassment, fear and unchristian behavior. College of Saint Mary is supposed to be a Christian organization - it is clearly not following the teachings of Christ when it allows employees to suffer like they have.

"Great place for students"

Current Employee - Staff in Omaha, NE

I have been working at College of Saint Mary full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good academic programs that help women get an education and improve their lives with better careers

Cons

Too much turnover among staff and low morale among employees. The people left behind have too much work to do.

"Who Can You Trust?"

I have been working at College of Saint Mary full-time

Pros

The students overall are very good to work with although the troublemakers seem to get their way more often than not. The dining hall has good food most of the time for lunch. Generally most of the people who work here are pretty down to earth.

Cons

The employee turnover is terrible across all departments. People just disappear. There is a lot of fear across the campus at all times. You never know when you're going to get in trouble or for what. Good employees get fed up and leave or get fired for mysterious and often "personal" reasons. Bad employees stay because nothing ever happens to them for fear of a lawsuit.

Advice to Management

Let people do their job without threatening their livelihood. Go do VP and President things, not be in people's business 24x7. Quit making everything personal because the President has changed her mind or decided it was time to fire someone for wearing the wrong color shoes.

"I Wish I Could Say Good Things"

Current Employee - Staff in Omaha, NE

I have been working at College of Saint Mary full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone was very nice during interview. Seemed like people cared about students. Most people are approachable.

Cons

CONSTANT Backstabbing among faculty, staff and administrators. ZERO trust between departments or in the senior leadership since one minute we're doing one thing and the next minute we're doing the complete opposite because the VP was bullied into place.

Health benefits that leave you with little left after taxes. Compensation is within market but health benefits and retirement are well below "good."

Those employees who stay suffer. Either the position goes unfilled for six months or we get more added on to us since we know everything. Most departments run shorthanded and people have to come in early, through lunch, stay late or come in during the weekends.

Advice to Management

Keep your word. When you say something, mean it. We know that you talk about us too.

"Unimaginably Bad"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at College of Saint Mary full-time

Pros

Close to Arby's, QT and Walmart
    Free Parking but it's not like there isn't any
    Plenty of Oxygen to breathe

Cons

Most negative place I have ever worked, by far. This comes from the top down, where the President rules with an iron fist. She is unpredictable, manipulative and dishonest. And it's so small, you can't escape her. No one wants to work there and it has at least a 50% employee turnover rate per year. People put in 50 - 60 hours a week and it's never enough.

Advice to Management

Don't have health benefits that cost $800 a month and don't cover anything. It's ridiculous.

11. "Excellent working environment; I really like it here"

I have been working at College of Saint Mary full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a great place to work

Cons

There are no cons to working here

Advice to Management

None