Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tim Arnold

Pros
Cons
  • Excellent company but because you are recruiting for positions that are 100% commission based it is a difficult sell (in 19 reviews)

• They offer draw or hourly for 1st 90 days, but no benefits (in 15 reviews)

1. "good job"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

job provides great benefits and PTO

Cons

contact center has very strict policies on attendance and PTO

Advice to Management

great work keeping open and honest communication with employees.

2. "Agent"

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Saint Cloud, MN
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Saint Cloud, MN

I worked at Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

solid company; great products; some very successful agents who make millions

Cons

Promised pay is overblown. Veteran agents can do no wrong, even when they break rules, etc.

Advice to Management

pay salary/commission to stop turnover; it's ridiculous. I recruited an All-Star, she is busier than any other agent I've seen, and she's probably going to quit because of above's Con #1: Promised pay is overblown and somewhat unrealistic.

"Its a ponzi scheme"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Longview, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Longview, TX

I worked at Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There really were not any.

Cons

They had us using out personal phones basically going down the phone book calling people with small businesses trying to get them to sign up, they would give us lists of areas and businesses they know that they have already marketed to a million times, and you would go months without making a profit. I quit my job of 3 years and relocated to work there after being told I would be salaried for $60k a year only to find out after I moved 200 miles away and quit my job that itvwas commission only.

Advice to Management

Stop targeting people and ruining their lives

4. "Not Bad"

Current Employee - ASR in Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - ASR in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, good support from Management, opportunities are there if willing to work hard.

Cons

1099 position, most training is done informally, home office is difficult to work with

Advice to Management

Have a more steady pay structure with more formal training form the get go

5. "Get paid if and only when you sell"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice office with a great view of Atlanta, friendly staff, and for what it's worth, there is a coffee machine.

Cons

You may go month without ever getting paid. If you want to have a guarantee lad paycheck and benefits blah blah....this is not for you

Advice to Management

Be upfront about the compensation package....or lack thereof

"Great Company to work for!!"

Current Employee - Agency Development Manager in Monroe, LA
    Current Employee - Agency Development Manager in Monroe, LA

Pros

Ability to control your own income. This is a 1099 world and commission only. However, if you put in the work you will see the reward. I am currently an Agency Development Manager working out of Johnson & Associates Benefits Consulting Group. We are all 1099 but truly embrace a team culture. The Direct General Agent here is great to work for. She sets high expectations but offers phenomenal support for everyone working in her Agency.

Cons

There is a lot of turnover. Mostly from the individuals that do not understand what it takes to make it in a commission only world and simply do not have the consistent activity. Territory leadership puts constant pressure to promote people in to management regardless if they are ready or not. They see it as more recruiters for them. I see it from their point of view. However, it is tough on the current managers when they are responsible for a team goal that goes up every quarter. Losing your top producer on your team but your plan goal going up is tough. Constant recruiting battle. Having said that, its still not bad.

Advice to Management

Put more effort in developing the sales reps you have rather than adding constant new people just to put butts in seats and have more numbers. Especially in the management role.

"Benefits counselor."

Current Employee - Benefits Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Benefits Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Work life balance is great. Awesome products. You know your helping people which is why I started in the biz. And money is great when you work.

Cons

Chargebacks, you're at the mercy of the opening agents (they get the accounts) and the DGAS. Therefore if they dont like you or get the contacts etc your not making money. They also extremely misrepresent the income. You really need to have a,second income to tie over the bad times.

Advice to Management

This is for District management . Stop lying to people, learn how to talk & respect others. We are here for the same reason. Your employee turnover may be your fault.

8. "Use to be nice"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbia, SC

I worked at Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good PTO and benefits, facility

Cons

Micro management and do not care about employee

Advice to Management

I worked in the call center and the management team is the worst. Also blatant discrimination of tenured and older employees.

"Great Company Poor Regional Manager"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Government accounts with strong leads. Great pay (if you can understand the metrics)

Cons

Need to rethink management in some areas. Turnover with this particular one is high die to micro management and a hostile environment or pitting sales people against one another (a throw under the bus situation). Government leads are great as long as continue to get the contracts. No benefits (which is odd considering it's an insurance company)

Advice to Management

Let people sell and stop breathing down their backs. Also, don't hold back pay or cut commissions without warning

"Dedication and hard work required"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Renton, WA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Renton, WA

I worked at Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people and real possibility to earn a lot.

Cons

This is a commission only position and requires an initial investment.