Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Excellent company but because you are recruiting for positions that are 100% commission based it is a difficult sell (in 20 reviews)

• They offer draw or hourly for 1st 90 days, but no benefits (in 16 reviews)

"Love"

I have been working at Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team environment, tremendous support and innovative company.

Cons

Turnover is challenging right now.

Advice to Management

Top management should have field experience to understand what it is truly like for independent agents working in the field.

2. "10 year+ employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Colonial is a large employer with a steady outlook. It offers flexible work location, solid benefits, and a friendly environment.

Cons

Limited upward mobility; they are still working on improving the employee experience.

Advice to Management

Trust employees to do their jobs well and help those that want it, to find their career path.

3. "good job"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

job provides great benefits and PTO

Cons

contact center has very strict policies on attendance and PTO

Advice to Management

great work keeping open and honest communication with employees.

"The company is alright."

Former Employee - Benefits Representative
    Former Employee - Benefits Representative

I worked at Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The residuals are a pleasant surprise in your bank account a year later.

Cons

Having to work old cases makes it difficult to meet sales goals.

"Agent"

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Saint Cloud, MN
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Saint Cloud, MN

I worked at Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

solid company; great products; some very successful agents who make millions

Cons

Promised pay is overblown. Veteran agents can do no wrong, even when they break rules, etc.

Advice to Management

pay salary/commission to stop turnover; it's ridiculous. I recruited an All-Star, she is busier than any other agent I've seen, and she's probably going to quit because of above's Con #1: Promised pay is overblown and somewhat unrealistic.

"You are paying to keep their company open"

Former Employee - Agency Development Manager
    Former Employee - Agency Development Manager

I worked at Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Total freedom of owning your own business

Cons

All the costs of owning your own business. They expect you to pay for an office to put their name on, pay for all of the recruiting and hiring of employees and work off a meager commission plan.

Advice to Management

Put your ADR's and up on a salary plus commission structure and the turnover will go down. Also, add in an allowance for an office.

"Sales Representative"

Pros

Management is very nice and very personable. Some managers make a lot of money. Never met CEO but seems to be very good.

Cons

They will hire anyone off the street. Promise of great pay but 95 percent of people barely make enough to live off of. Lack of training and structure. Feels like a pyramid scheme or MLM company more than a respectable insurance company.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring just anyone and focus on hiring professional people with college degrees, and pay a base salary.

"Its a ponzi scheme"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Longview, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Longview, TX

I worked at Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There really were not any.

Cons

They had us using out personal phones basically going down the phone book calling people with small businesses trying to get them to sign up, they would give us lists of areas and businesses they know that they have already marketed to a million times, and you would go months without making a profit. I quit my job of 3 years and relocated to work there after being told I would be salaried for $60k a year only to find out after I moved 200 miles away and quit my job that itvwas commission only.

Advice to Management

Stop targeting people and ruining their lives

"Not Bad"

Current Employee - ASR in Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - ASR in Newport Beach, CA

Pros

Flexible schedule, good support from Management, opportunities are there if willing to work hard.

Cons

1099 position, most training is done informally, home office is difficult to work with

Advice to Management

Have a more steady pay structure with more formal training form the get go

"Great Company to work for!!"

Current Employee - Agency Development Manager in Monroe, LA
    Current Employee - Agency Development Manager in Monroe, LA

Pros

Ability to control your own income. This is a 1099 world and commission only. However, if you put in the work you will see the reward. I am currently an Agency Development Manager working out of Johnson & Associates Benefits Consulting Group. We are all 1099 but truly embrace a team culture. The Direct General Agent here is great to work for. She sets high expectations but offers phenomenal support for everyone working in her Agency.

Cons

There is a lot of turnover. Mostly from the individuals that do not understand what it takes to make it in a commission only world and simply do not have the consistent activity. Territory leadership puts constant pressure to promote people in to management regardless if they are ready or not. They see it as more recruiters for them. I see it from their point of view. However, it is tough on the current managers when they are responsible for a team goal that goes up every quarter. Losing your top producer on your team but your plan goal going up is tough. Constant recruiting battle. Having said that, its still not bad.

Advice to Management

Put more effort in developing the sales reps you have rather than adding constant new people just to put butts in seats and have more numbers. Especially in the management role.