Colonial Penn Life Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 53 reviews

2.0
Colonial Penn Life Insurance CEO Joel Schwartz
Joel Schwartz

"Great company no micromanaging great CEO"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Colonial Penn Life Insurance full-time

Pros

Great company...family atmosphere..no micro managing....you can work from home after 1 year...great bonus structure...friendly environment....let me repeat no micro managing!!! If you have telephone skills I recommend this place to anyone

Cons

They dont hire to often...if you can get in you stay in

Advice to Management

Hire more debt collectors

Colonial Penn Life Insurance2014-02-25

"Avoid this place if you can"

Current Employee - TELESALES Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Colonial Penn Life Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

They help you get your life insurance license.

Cons

They micromanage your time using some dubious productivity software system that they never share with you during training about how it works or doesnt work.

Advice to Management

Stop selling GBL products, the social security recipients are going to go for it less and less as this economy becomes more difficult.

Colonial Penn Life Insurance2014-02-21
  3. "Outstanding Company"

Current Employee - Senior Telesales Virtual Agent in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Colonial Penn Life Insurance part-time for more than 6 years

Pros

There is no Cold Calling. The prospects are interested in purchasing insurance. Excellent incentive program, outstanding merit increases and excellent benefits

Cons

I am a Virtual Agent, and I am 100% satisfied with my position.

Advice to Management

Continue to be supportive and available to assist Sales Agents as needed.

Colonial Penn Life Insurance2014-02-05
  4. "Excellent Company"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Outstanding training program, no cold calling, excellent merit increases and incentive programs

Cons

I am 100% satisfied, I have no cons.

Advice to Management

Be more available to the reps with constructive criticism

Colonial Penn Life Insurance2014-02-07

"Good for interim employment while looking for something better."

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Colonial Penn Life Insurance full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Easily accessible by public transit, small business atmosphere, free coffee. New CEO is great and is cleaning up Management so things may be getting better in the near future. Co-workers are very kind and helpful. Company pays for and gives support for employee licensing which is rare in insurance business.

Cons

Pay not great, health insurance benefit plan is awful and the employee contribution is extremely high , mandatory Saturdays, sales bonuses are quarterly and very small. Facilities and technology need updating. Not much diversity in sales force.

Colonial Penn Life Insurance2013-05-05

"Take your skills someplace else!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA

I worked at Colonial Penn Life Insurance full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

convenient downtown location. some management are actually concerned about the employees. incentive packages are pretty ok. Salary pretty good.

Cons

Alot of the employees are simply there because of the salary. There are not many people that enjoy the job or the environment. Most supervisors lack intelligence, professionalism and management skills. I was an employee of colonial penn dating back to the 90's, at that time Colonial Penn was an awesome company to work for. Through the years with changes in HR and the company as a whole it has steadily gone down hill....

Advice to Management

Get rid of supervisors that units are not pulling their weight instead of constantly firing the workers. Hire more professional employees. HR department needs to an overhaul. Stop overworking the customer service dept employees and show your appreciation of them just as you do the sales dept.

Colonial Penn Life Insurance2013-03-16

"this is one of the worst jobs ive ever had"

I have been working at Colonial Penn Life Insurance

Pros

you can get your insurance license, its in center city, you can work from home if your lucky, the pay isn;t bad- especially if you qualify for the quarterly bonuses

Cons

I have literally sat at my desk some days, and forced back tears! the sales quotas are out of reach because soo many sales reps cheat the system old computer system that didnt work well, and a new one that has proved to be worse my supervisor gives me absolutly no suppourt whatsoever, but expects me to perform increasingly unreachable sales goals managment is a joke, i really ont think anyone there has a clue whats...

Advice to Management

resighn

Colonial Penn Life Insurance2013-03-14

"My last review was flagged by CNO...I told too much. I'll be politically correct..but still honest."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Colonial Penn Life Insurance full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Pay, bonus (but see below), location to public transportation. Excellent if you' re walking in from nothing as they will help you obtain your insurance license. I've watched some people lucky enough to be able to work from home.

Cons

Pay close attention to office environment if you walk around BEFORE accepting, multiple grading standards, new stringent bonus requirements. There has been gossip (fully disclosing as gossip) that any issues you share with operations level (which may include but not be limited to H.R., I.T., etc.) may not be completely confidential.

Advice to Management

1. Across the board Q.A. standards 2. MANDATORY refresher courses/live phone work for Supervisors 3. Consider occasional drug testing or implementing it 4. Hire additional H.R. Staff on site to manage issues and for the purpose of checks and balances. 5. If it's not in the handbook, insert clear language on relations between people on different hierarchy levels. Most companies are EXPLICIT and FIRM on this....

Colonial Penn Life Insurance2012-12-18

"Good job bad management"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Colonial Penn Life Insurance full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Wonderful co workers some supervisors treat you like family and actually about you. When they give bonus they are pretty good

Cons

If management has something personal against you no matter how good you are it means nothing

Advice to Management

Think more about the workers without them your doors will close. The whole idea that you can bring somebody in to replace a quality worker is terribly wrong. Also some of the floor managers shouldn't have their jobs. They cheated to get there and show favoritism which is obvious

Colonial Penn Life Insurance2013-01-12
    • "It's a job."

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Colonial Penn Life Insurance full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Lots of overtime is always available

Cons

Micromanagement is a serious problem. You will have at least 5 bosses

Advice to Management

A better balance of qualitative and quantitative employee evaluation

Colonial Penn Life Insurance2012-08-30