Colonial Surety Company Reviews | Glassdoor

1.1
Wayne Nunziata

Sort: PopularRatingDate

I worked at Colonial Surety Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits the day your start, lunches every Thursday (only in summer), leave early on Fridays in the summer...that's really it.

Cons

There could be so much potential with this place. The job itself is fine and the products are easy to sell once you learn about them (although training is haphazard). Upper management has no idea what is going on, high turnover rate, and overall bad morale.

Advice to Management

Have trust in your employees

Colonial Surety Company Response

Oct 14, 2013 – Human Resources Manager

Colonial Surety Company has been in business since 1930, and under current ownership and leadership since 1986. We are surprised to read this comment, however, we do understand that short tenure may... More

"Toxic Toxic Toxic Toxic Toxic Toxic"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodcliff Lake, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodcliff Lake, NJ

I worked at Colonial Surety Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lol. Zero. None. Nada. Did I mention there are no pros?

Well, if I dig deep enough I'm sure I can find some:

When you do finally leave this place, you will at least know all the red flags to look out for at your next job.
    At-will employment so you can leave whenever you want. (You will want to)
    You get to become part of the furniture during your stay here.
    Rita peels grapefruits and shares them with the office sometimes.

Cons

Toxic workplace, toxic managers, toxic CEO.

Nut jobs are the captains of this ship.

No employee development, or upwards mobility within the company. No future.

Advice to Management

Kiss my behind. Change who manages.

I was dedicated and worked hard for this company for over 2 years, and was terminated without even a reason. This company doesn't deserve real advice.

If employees are reporting that your company stinks, your company probably stinks. Make changes. Hire an outside company, if necessary, to make changes. Why an outside company? Because if you're the problem, the people reporting to you aren't going to tell you that you have to change. Why? Because you're a jerk. And that needs to change.

"SO MANY OTHER OPTIONS"

Former Employee - Surety Underwriter in Woodcliff Lake, NJ
    Former Employee - Surety Underwriter in Woodcliff Lake, NJ

I worked at Colonial Surety Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The lunch everyone is talking about isn't even good. It's just that the promise you a good salary but under pay you for so long, you have to look forward to the free lunch.

Cons

Everything. But the biggest thing is the "CEO" and his glorified assistant that he calls his Human Resources department.This guy has not a clue what is going on in life. But He has been chasing to live a "wolf of wall street" lifestyle at the age of 80. He is stuck in the 80s. stay away if you want to have a job longer than 3-6 months.

Advice to Management

sell the business and walk away.

I worked at Colonial Surety Company full-time

Pros

Hour lunch. Free lunches on Thursdays in the summer. Some people are nice.

Cons

Too many to count. Upper management is clueless on their own product. Clear favoritism on some employees and departments. Numbers asked for are unobtainable. Very high turnover. Management does close to nothing to help. Extremely low morale in company. Countless problems with the system. Toxic work environment from some employees.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees. Your company will not grow if every employee leaves after 6 month to 1 year. Do not piggy back off of the AM Best Rating or talk about the year the company was incorporated; it means close to nothing. Pay employees what they deserve. The company will not grow without educated people behind the scenes. Advertise the job for what it is, and what is expected of them.

"Turn away while you still can..."

I worked at Colonial Surety Company full-time

Pros

Summer lunches on Thursday are provided, and as a result, employees are permitted to leave an hour early on Friday.

Cons

Upper management is completely lost and gets frustrated very quickly, which leads to no formal training set up for new employee development. Some of the senior employees are favored in the office over others, and the CEO is misogynistic, doesn't even have an idea about the products that the company is selling, and is very hell-bent on making money and driving sales without providing a clear plan of execution for his employees all because he is constantly changing his mind and objectives. There is also a tense and anxious work environment. Also, if you are looking for career development, this is not the place for you because there is no room for promotion or upward mobility within the company.

Advice to Management

Upper management should create attainable and specific goals that they stick to, and cut being wishy-washy. This confusion and instability frustrates the employees. Not being strong and confident in themselves weakens the team tremendously. There is also a sense of absence and lack of support from upper management, so when an employee is underperforming due to no guidance, they are then reprimanded for coming up short on the quota. It boils down to not being proactive, and constantly being reactive. There also needs to be fairness in the office and not favor certain employees over others. There are some employees that invest a lot of time and energy in coming up with new ways to simplify the work, but are still somehow unrecognized.

"Avoid"

I worked at Colonial Surety Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company provides lunch once per week from Memorial Day to Labor Day. There are very few other things that would fit in this category.

Cons

Bad management and poor ownership, high turnover rate, unrealistic expectations, poor training, internally broken sales process, no change or adaptation to current technology or market standards.

The product being sold is overall a scam and the growth potential for employees is near zero. You will be buttered up with talk of big numbers and potential but it is highly unrealistic to achieve and/or maintain given the product being sold and resources given to you to sell it.

Advice to Management

Fix the process, invest in your employees.

"Nice people but ended up being unprofessional."

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Montvale, NJ
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Montvale, NJ

I worked at Colonial Surety Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The people I interviewed with were all pleasant and I felt that I could potentially enjoy working here.

Cons

-Went through 3 rounds of interviews meeting with 5 different people. Was told the position would be filled in a month. They were down to 4 candidates and they would hire 2. Two months later HR explains that they will not be hiring anyone in this position at all. Really? These people honestly showed that they are either incompetent or just not that smart. I will be sure to tell everyone I come across not to do business with this company. I have never been through such a long interview process, just to be told that they decided not to fill this position. It is really disrespectful and shows that this company does not care about potential employees.

Advice to Management

Follow through with what you say. People are only as good as their word and from my experience these people are liars.