Colony NorthStar Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 18, 2017

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Colony NorthStar Chairman and CEO Thomas J. Barrack Jr.
Thomas J. Barrack Jr.

Pros
Cons
  • long hours; overworked; underpaid; stressful environment; little appreciate for work done; poor management (in 5 reviews)

• Currently under staffed due to high turnover (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Challenging but Rewarding"

Current Employee - Vice President in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Colony NorthStar full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are a lot of rough reviews on here and I do think this is a challenging place particularly at entry level positions there is simply a lot of work to be done. Colony has had tremendous growth over the past decade and with growth comes growing pains. To some extent I think these reviews reflect the downside of being a successful growing firm. It takes time for efficiency to catch up.

For someone who wants to make an impact that is a plus, it is opportunity to improve things, opportunity to help build what the company will be. A more static place will have better work life balance but much less opportunity to build and grow.

I can say from experience that hard work and accomplishment are rewarded and the pay/opportunity increase dramatically as you move up the ranks. I have worked on incredible projects unique and challenging that I can't imagine would be available at many other firms.

Another thing I enjoy about Colony is the people I work with, there are some very very smart and talented people here. It is a real pleasure to take on challenging tasks working through acquisitions, mergers complicated capital transactions creating methods and new processes for dealing with new investments or corporate events.

Cons

There is a lot of work to be done so expect long hours
    Company runs lean, noise can be an issue with the open layout
    Can be a bit cold if you don't make an effort to get to know people
    Groups tend to be Silos
    Learning is not structured, there are plenty of opportunities to learn but it will take work on your part to approach people and ask question.

Not a con but this isn't a place where you can coast by and expect to get promoted based on time. Learning, improving process, taking on challenges beyond your basic work and helping accomplish goals are what move people up the ladder at Colony

Advice to Management

Continue to provide rewarding opportunities at all levels of the firm, improve pay at lower levels.
    Bring groups together more interaction between all levels

2. "Executive Assistant at Company"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Colony NorthStar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people. positive environment, benefits are good

Cons

Low pay compared to positions at other companies, difficult to get a raise, company seems to be making a lot of budget cuts

Advice to Management

Pay Assistants so that they have incentive to stay at the company. There are a lot of great companies that offer much higher salaries

3. "Great Salaries"

Current Employee - Accountant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Accountant in New York, NY

I have been working at Colony NorthStar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, company pays for full benefits, can get OT, standard PTO & vacation time off, snacks and beverages in abundance & lunch catered every Friday. if you're well liked you'll do well

Cons

Management could improve, required to work a lot of hours, management too inexperienced

Advice to Management

Seasoned management needed

"Unstable, not sure where company is headed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Colony NorthStar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff, a lot of changes happening which allow for you to learn.

Cons

Not sure what direction the company is headed with so many changes happen. Company feels unstable.

"Accounting Manager"

Former Employee - Accounting Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Accounting Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Colony NorthStar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company, interesting investments and structures, relevant investors. My boss (svp), boss' boss (cao) were good dudes. Very approachable and reasonable. I sat five feet from both for my entire stay (actually everyone sits five feet from everyone) they're cool, don't act like they're above stuff, will gladly engage you in work or personal discussions.

Never done a glassdoor review before, but think some reviews have been overly harsh. Colony has its warts, but I think management is cognizant of the employee issues. Hopefully, they are trying to make some fixes. In general, I found Colony to be demanding but fair. You'll learn a ton. Think it's a perfect job for someone straight outta public to get into finance.

Yes, there are deadlines and it gets hairy around those. Rest of the year is fine. Do think one of the groups gets drilled pretty bad in terms of hours. Didn't work there so can't speak to the reasons, but boss lady and staff there were ultra impressive in my interactions with them.

Free dinner when you work past 6.

Cons

Thought comp was materially below market (should be compared to PE firms not REITS)

Snack stuff mentioned in other reviews was right on. Not a deal-breaker for me, but thought that was petty as well. Such a minimal/immaterial drop in the bucket that could quell some morale issues for cheap.

Advice to Management

Keep TJB away from 'Colony All.' Trump stuff no matter which way you lean isn't helping in the middle of a fundraise/future fundraise/fee runoff

"Life of a Colonist"

Former Employee - Back Office in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Back Office in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Colony NorthStar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growing company with plenty of opportunities for advancement. Company seems to be looking for feedbacks from employees and upgrading accounting system currently utilized. Management knows improvement is needed. Not sure if the outcome will be positive though. Too early to tell.

Cons

High turnovers! I thought I was at an audit firm. Opportunities for advancement are available due to constant changes in employees. Control process appears to be still on a WIP stage. Training needs improvement. Horrible working hours, budget cuts, and non-friendly environment.

"Great location, not a great place to work"

Former Employee - Accountant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

I have no positive words for this company.

Cons

Worked here for a couple of months and quit because of high stress and hostile environment. Everyone is out to get their own, posting blame on others to make themselves look good. Hours are ridiculous, 65-70 hours. I advise you to stay away. Not a great place to learn, culture is hostile.

Advice to Management

Hire more people, pay more, and create an inviting environment.

"Not Too Much, Not Too little"

Former Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Colony NorthStar (Less than a year)

Pros

Great network, friendly community and good work life balance

Cons

Not very structured, limited upside mobility

"Do not come to colony unless you want love working 247"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Colony NorthStar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Name branding in the industry- nothing more to be said on Pros but I need to put at least 20 words to get my post posted.

Cons

Where do I start? Hostile email from CEO about attendance at 7am- people stay late but he doesn't see it. Took all snacks away and everyone is being overworked- it's a better working environment at a sweat shop in China. HR doesn't do anything as they are scared of CEO. High turnover so not enough people in every department. CEO threatening about bonus if you aren't putting 13 hour day.

Advice to Management

See that people want to grow and they come in on weekend to just get caught up.

"Low Industry pay and bonus"

Current Employee - Accountant in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Accountant in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Colony NorthStar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

large company with a lot of growth; public; job growth; high demand' profitable