Colorado Access Reviews

Updated May 27, 2020

2.9
Colorado Access President and CEO Marshall Thomas
Marshall Thomas
Pros
  • "The work - life balance here is off the hook(in 8 reviews)

• "Flexibility, benefits, lots to learn, work from home, some awesome supervisors and managers to support you(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "low salary, somewhat dangerous, upper management not in touch with workers(in 8 reviews)

• "very high turnover and workload too high(in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Workplace with a Meaningful Mission"

5.0
    Current Employee - Manager in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Colorado Access full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Core Values and Company Mission - Opportunities for Growth - Great work flexibility (telecommute, flexible scheduling)

Cons

- Heavy workload - Frequent changes

Colorado Access2019-09-19

September 30, 2019Marketing Communications Manager

Thank you for your review. Our mission and core values drive our daily operations as we work to serve members throughout the state of Colorado, and we thank you for your commitment to the mission and desire to support the underserved populations in our state. Thanks again for providing feedback. We do take it to heart as we continue to evolve our organization to make it a great place to work.

2. "Passionate people helping others to find health care they can afford"

5.0
    Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Denver, CO

I have been working at Colorado Access part-time for more than a year

Pros

I work with some fabulous folks who really want Coloradans get affordable health care. The Colorado Access mission seems to attract high-quality professionals who work hard to reach vulnerable populations.

Cons

The pace of health care is definitely slow. In other industries, the pace of work and decision making happens much more quickly.

Colorado Access2020-01-30

February 7, 2020Marketing Communications Manager

Thank you for your review of Colorado Access. We’re glad you have found value in our mission, to “partner with communities and empower people through access to quality, affordable care.” Not only is it at the heart of everything we do, it also helps us attract high-quality professionals to help us fulfill it.

3. "High Burnout"

Former Employee - Intake Case Manager in Aurora, CO

I worked at Colorado Access full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work from home. Nice and friendly manager.

Cons

Consistent travel, heavy caseload, unrealistic expectations This company does not have a non-profit fee. It is very corporation run. I had over 300 clients and was the single point contact, meaning there was no secretary to help with basic questions. This means you are wearing multiple hats- which would be okay if you didn't have an unrealistic amount of work. I was expected to contact clients within a strict timeline as well as travel to far locations. You will travel 5 different counties (weekly), including Bennet Colorado. Overtime was not allowed so I would often go unpaid trying to finish the heavy workload. You feel guilty taking vacations because your workload would be handed to you coworkers. You burnout because you are consistently letting down ill and gravely disabled clients because they are often denied long-term medicare.

Colorado Access2020-05-27
  4. "Great coworkers, frustrating upper management"

Former Employee - Case Manager in Aurora, CO

I worked at Colorado Access full-time for more than a year

Pros

supportive team and supervisor, great flexibility, work from home options, good PTO

Cons

low salary, somewhat dangerous, upper management not in touch with workers.

Colorado Access2020-03-20

April 13, 2020Marketing Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to review Colorado Access. We’re glad you found a supportive team and supervisor here. We pride ourselves on work-life balance, so we’re glad you found flexibility, work from home options and PTO to help maintain the ever-important balance. We regularly review salaries at both the city and regional level to make sure we are on par with industry standard. We also comply with all mandated safety regulations and strive to create a work environment that is safe for all. We are committed to the safety of all our employees and encourage any concerns to be reported so that immediate action can be taken. We invite you to share your concerns with us. Please email us at humanresources@coaccess.com.

"Leadership out of touch"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Colorado Access full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There are some really hard workers who seem to want to make a change for the better. My job is flexible, and I do feel like I’m helping fulfill the mission. The PTO is generous and I’m given opportunities to develop skills to do my job better.

Cons

I’ve seen a lot of change here and it hasn’t always been for the better. Executive leadership seems disconnected from the real turnover problems that exist at the company. Having a part-time CEO doesn’t seem to help either. The turnover problem keeps allowing good employees to walk away.

Colorado Access2019-08-10

August 14, 2019Marketing Communications Manager

Thank you for your review of our company. We’re glad that you’ve chosen to invest years here, helping to fulfill our mission to “partner with communities and empower people through access to quality, affordable care.” Work/life balance is important to the culture at Colorado Access, and we’re glad you find your job to be flexible and the PTO to be generous. Employee retention continues to be an area of focus for our company as we look to continue to attract employees like yourself who have chosen to make a career at Colorado Access. If you’d like to share more about your experience with us, please email us at humanresources@coaccess.com.

"This company care more for their members than their employees"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Colorado Access full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good PTO accrual Health benefits and cost are so/so The mission and core values sound great on paper Some of the newer leaders seem like they are eager to make positive changes

Cons

Salary is terrible for the workload Executives get bonuses every spring/summer and they push quantity over quality Front-line staff and middle management are worked to death and not recognized or compensated for their skills, or education level Directors and above need to be more transparent, and LISTEN to your front line staff and supervisors. They want to go a good job, but you provide no time or resources to do a good job. Its rush, rush, rush.

Colorado Access2019-07-01

August 2, 2019Marketing Communications Manager

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts about our company. Working at Colorado Access has many benefits, including good PTO accrual, and we’re glad you find value in some of what we offer employees. In addition to our current leadership, we’re proud of the leadership we’ve been able to recruit, and look forward to the positive impact they’ll make in the future. We’re sorry to hear that there are some things that you don’t enjoy about working here. Our work over the years to bring compensation to industry and regional standards makes us confident in what we’re able to offer employees. Communication continues to be an area of focus for the company. We would like to hear more about your experience. Please email us at humanresources@coaccess.com.

"Incompetent, Dishonest Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO

I worked at Colorado Access full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are many good people in the mix that you can commiserate with regarding the absolute insanity that occurs in this organization. Human Resources are a good group of people who have quite a job on their hands managing the huge rate of turn over.

Cons

Senior leader are out for themselves and their incompetent underlings that they protect. Protectionism is the key word here. The goal is not to do what is best for the company as a whole, but for whatever makes certain peoples lives easier. Upper management blatantly lies and sabotages those that attempt to work with ethics and quality. They spend so much time and money (your money) on training, workshops and development when what they need to do is wipe out the leadership and start from scratch. I thought I was going to work for an organization I could feel good about but it' simply a bunch of toxic leaders blatantly taking advantage of your tax dollars. CEO and other leaders are actually Doctors at local hospitals who receive your tax dollars that are managed and paid by Colorado Access. Can you say conflict of interest? This organizations leadership is the most dishonest I have ever worked for. I took my ethics and left. If you are considering a job here because you want to feel good about helping people....look elsewhere. This place will crush your soul if you stay. Read the other reviews and take them seriously, I didn't and I regret it.

Colorado Access2019-06-18

June 25, 2019Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about our company. While we are glad that you found value with the people here making a difference in the lives of our members, we are sorry that you don’t feel that same way about our leadership. Our culture is defined by our values and our leadership team is continuously working to ensure that our culture reflects the compassion and positive impact to support the under-served populations in our community. We would like to understand and learn more about your experience. Please email us at HumanResources@coaccess.com.

"Poor compensation and leadership"

Former Employee - Case Manager in Aurora, CO

I worked at Colorado Access full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very good PTO and benefits, friendly co-workers

Cons

Compensation, work load, bad management, uncaring executives and clueless HR

Colorado Access2019-04-29

May 6, 2019Recruiter

Thank you for giving us a review. We are pleased that you found value with our generous PTO and the other benefits as well as the support you received from your co-workers. We appreciate you letting us know what aspects you did not enjoy and we are continually looking at ways to improve the caseloads for our Care Managers. To help us better understand what we can do better, please email us at humanresources@coaccess.com.

"Leadership is out of touch"

Former Employee - Case Manager

I worked at Colorado Access full-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved working with clients, my direct supervisor, and my team

Cons

Upper management does not seem to care about case managers at all and made/continues to make decisions that negatively impacted us without much consideration. If you are a case manager you will not be valued and nobody in upper management position even really cares to learn your name. Case loads are extremely high and difficult to keep up with and a high turnover rate results in case managers having to take on even more cases to cover case loads. This is unfortunate because it ultimately results in clients not receiving the care and attention they deserve from their case managers. Also, salary reviews are once a year and increases in pay are pretty minimal even if you receive a great employee review.

Colorado Access2019-05-11

May 17, 2019Recruiter

Thank you for your review of Colorado Access. We are glad that you enjoyed your experience with the members that we serve as well as your care management team and supervisor. We also appreciate you letting us know your concerns. There is a lot of work going on currently that is addressing the high case load with our care managers and we are working to improve our experience for our care managers who work directly with our members. We strive to make our salaries competitive for the geographic market in which we live, and our annual review process is tied to job performance. If you would like to speak further about your concerns, please email us at HumanResources@coaccess.com.

"Good work/life balance but only thing keeping most employees"

Current Employee - Case Manager in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Colorado Access full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Working 4 10 hour days is great as well as working from home 3 days a week. Allows for a great work/life balance. Benefits are great.

Cons

Pay is extremely low and yearly "raises" are lower than a cost of living increase. Very little room for promotion. Incredibly overworked and under-payed. Caseloads are the highest they have ever been and there is no end in site. Amazing employees are leaving the company and nothing is being done to retain them.

Colorado Access2019-02-21

April 15, 2019Recruiter

Thank you for your review. We’re pleased you mentioned our flexible schedules. Many employees make use of our flexible scheduling to bring balance to life and work. We’re proud of our benefits, too, including medical, dental and vision insurance, 401K match and PTO, and I am glad you found them important. It sounds like we have some work to do on caseload management, however, to fully support our talented team. We welcome your comments, and if you would like to discuss them with us, please send an email to HumanResources@coaccess.com. Thank you for more than eight years of service to Colorado Access.

Found 52 reviews