Colorado DORA Reviews | Glassdoor

Colorado DORA Reviews

2.1
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "If you want to be overworked and underpaid"

I have been working at Colorado DORA full-time

Pros

Job security, flex time hours, pension plan

Cons

They can't seem to immediately replace departing employees, so remaining employees have to pick up the slack long term while they spend over a year dragging their feet to post an open position, resulting in unrealistic workloads for remaining employees.

2. "DORA Review"

Current Employee - Administrator in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Administrator in Denver, CO

I have been working at Colorado DORA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, work/life balance, hours

Cons

Growth potential, compensation, senior management

3. "State Job Felt Very Secure"

Former Employee - Licensing Specialist in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Licensing Specialist in Denver, CO

I worked at Colorado DORA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Secure employment, good location downtown, supportive staff and supervisors

Cons

Limited opportunities for upgrade, sometimes felt clichy, pay is not at par with the market, less incentives besides pay

4. "Rate/Financial Analyst I"

Current Employee - Rate/Financial Analyst I in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Rate/Financial Analyst I in Denver, CO

I have been working at Colorado DORA (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a state employee, you will have job security after the first year of employment.

Cons

Not guarantee a cost of living increase every year. Promotions are rare in my department.

Advice to Management

Need to motivate their employees

5. "Retirement Job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

Coworkers are very nice
    Jobs are very secure - you can't get fired
    work-life balance is incredible

Cons

Jobs are too secure; state can't get rid of poor employees
    Employees have no ambition, and management is almost uniformly retired in place
    Job breeds an us-against-them mentality with respect to consumers/licensees
    Absolutely no possibility of advancement

"Program Assistant"

Pros

Most employees have embraced the agency's mission of consumer protection, and work really hard to support that mission. The agency offers multiple trainings to staff. Once you are vested, job stability is very good.

Cons

Pay is bad, is is well below that in the private sector in the same areas. Flexibility like telecommuting options or flexible schedules are very rarely offered. Health benefits are good, but are often much more costly to the employee than in the private sector. There has been no match on 401k contributions for approximately 10 years. There is a consistent practice of not filling management positions from within, even in very specialized areas where experience cannot be obtained in any other place.

Advice to Management

Come into the present day with more flexible options for your employees, especially as this benefit can offset disparities in pay with the private sector. Promote from within, especially for management positions.

"Colorado state agency worst employer ever"

Former Employee - Professional Engineer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Professional Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at Colorado DORA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You really want to work in the public interest. Unfortunately, you won't be valued and your contribution will have little meaning to the political hacks that run state agencies. Medical benefits are good, but not the best.

Cons

Pay is far less than you would make in industry. Office environment is bare bones cubicle city -- except of course for political appointees who get reasonable digs. Continuing education and training is nonexistant and not valued. I suppose you're just supposed to keep current by osmosis. I spent thousands of $$$ of my own money to attend conferences to keep current but this was not valued. The only upside there was that I had a boss who considered those days out of the office as work time, but she was unusual. Most supervisors would not do that. She also thought I was nuts for spending my own money on it. But, if you are in a technical field, and have the slightest semblance of concern about maintaining your skills, you do it.

You are also not supposed to speak to legislators or other officials without first clearing it with the political hack who runs the agency... lest you say something contrary to "policy" -- even if they call you first and ask for your opinion on a particular topic in which you are the technical expert. Do so and you will be written up. Thirty-plus years in industry and this was easily the worst employer I ever had.

Advice to Management

Let the specialists you hire do their job. Governor, look for someone other than sycophants to manage your agencies.

"The State of Colorado may be one of the worst employers in Colorado"

Former Employee - Financial Credit Examiner in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Financial Credit Examiner in Denver, CO

I worked at Colorado DORA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable employer that has to stay around

Cons

Just about everything. Extremely expensive benefits, poor retirement plans (through CO PERA), no pay increases or promotions during the 3 years I was with this employer. In fact, with the increasing cost of benefits and retirement contributions (mandated by the state legislation), my net take home pay when down and down year over year. Very poor culture, no accountability with long term managers and staff. I would definitely classify this as a hostile working environment. A former coworker actually yelled and called me names (like on the playground in elementary school) in front of several other coworkers. Totally uncalled for and rude, no reprimands, no penalties, this individual just got away with it not consequences.

In general, the State of Colorado is a very very poor employer. If you are young like I am, do not waste your time unless absolutely necessary. Seriously, the long term benefits of Social Security far exceed the benefits of CO PERA.

Advice to Management

Drastic radical change is necessary. Hold employees and management accountable for their actions. Try to make the state as efficient, employee, and citizen focused as possible. Do not change CO PERA terms for existing employees and certainly not for former employees that are already retired, seriously, they did this while I worked for DORA it was horribly wrong to change benefits for folks already retired. Find another way.

"Bureaucrats"

Former Employee - Engineer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at Colorado DORA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Sadly, there is no "pro" to working for this state agency. People come because they want to work in the public interest and many do so for far less pay than they would receive in the private sector.

Cons

Too numerous to mention. The agency is run by a group of self-absorbed bureaucrats who work in their own interest rather than the public interest. It is interesting that state employees are prohibited from speaking directly to legislators and other officials lest they say something that contradicts an agency head.

"I didn't feel challenged and wasn't learning on the job."

I worked at Colorado DORA full-time

Pros

Stable salary because revenues are based on professional licenses sold.

Cons

Micromanagement
    Backstabbing co-workers
    Unstimulating work environment
    no growth within the company

Advice to Management

See value in your employees beyond the job description.