Colorado Mountain College Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "staff"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glenwood Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glenwood Springs, CO

I have been working at Colorado Mountain College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work! Good faculty and staff and interesting academic program areas. Excellent benefits package.

Cons

Compensation is on the low side, and the mountain areas where CMC is located have a high cost of living.

Advice to Management

Keep salaries competitive to attract and retain the best people.

2. "Great potential under new leadership"

Former Employee - College Counselor in Breckenridge, CO
    Former Employee - College Counselor in Breckenridge, CO

I worked at Colorado Mountain College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mission and communication from central office. Very talented administrators.

Cons

Pay not commensurate with experience or actual cost of living in mountain town.

Advice to Management

Perfect micro before launching macro. Better inter-campus communication needed.

3. "Unprofessional, disorganized, lacking in unity and communication"

Former Employee - Senior Enrollment Specialist in Aspen, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Enrollment Specialist in Aspen, CO

I worked at Colorado Mountain College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

public benefits and healthcare, PTO/holidays

Cons

I was hired as a "Senior Enrollment Specialist" to perform admissions and recruiting work. In reality, they were seeking a front desk receptionist, which I only discovered after starting. After addressing this huge discrepancy, I sensed management at the Aspen "Campus" (it's one building) was closed to any perceived "negative" feedback, to the point to where I palpably felt their hostility and was actually told I was "disrespectful" and "insubordinate" which couldn't be further from the truth.

Three months passed between my interview and job offer. They state the hiring process is “very thorough," but with the lack of communication throughout that time it seemed more like they were dragging their feet. During the interview, the committee had trouble answering basic questions such as "Who currently fills this position?" and "Who is the manager for this position?" Later I learned that my manager was someone they had promoted in between my interview and job offer. The individual was promoted from an entry-level position and unfortunately and had no management experience or capability.

If you seek a career in higher education at a reputable and professional school, look elsewhere. From my experience, CO Mountain College is disorganized, inefficient, fragmented, and does not have a clear understanding of its own needs. CMC is not part of the Colorado Community College System and this may be for good reason.

Advice to Management

My advice to management and the Board, in addition to addressing Aspen leadership, are to address the Human Resources Department for Colorado Mountain College. In addition to the position being misrepresented during the hiring process, a senior representative insisted our conversations on the topic were confidential, but I later found out they absolutely were not via some slip-ups. I was also literally told "Your focus should be on pleasing management over performing your job duties." This is unacceptable and unprofessional behavior from a senior employee at any organization, much less a taxpayer-funded one. A culture where employees are expected to focus on pleasing management will never result in the organization's continued success.

CMC desperately needs to improve communication of changes between HQ and the campuses. If I am being told to do one thing by Campus leadership but the complete opposite by HQ, that puts me, especially as a new employee, in an extremely awkward position.

Do not try to silence or punish staff that bring concerns to the table. Listen to your employees and their feedback if they have the courage to come forward. Not everything in life is positive and we need to tackle workplace challenges and problems instead of trying to suppress them and the individuals with enough courage to make their concerns known.

4. "Faculty"

Former Employee - Faculty

I worked at Colorado Mountain College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers - you develop such great relationships you work together as family

Faculty are paid well

Cons

College administration out of touch with needs of community and student population
    NO DIVERSITY - the college greatly needs to improve its image when it comes to faculty and administrative diversity
    Job descriptions aren't clear

Advice to Management

Increase diversity at all levels of the college

5. "Director of Student Life & Housing"

I have been working at Colorado Mountain College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Can have a lot of autonomy and get to work with a variety of student affair areas. Great colleagues to work with. Located in great mountain towns

Cons

Leadership is far removed from the campuses and fairly clueless as to what is happening at the campuses. Pay is not the greatest for the cost of living in these mountain towns.

Advice to Management

Make decisions involving the departments it affects...too often decisions are made without any consultation.

6. "Ok place to work"

I worked at Colorado Mountain College part-time

Pros

Good benefits that include a lot of time off

Cons

Not a lot of pay or advancement

7. "Adjunct Professor"

I worked at Colorado Mountain College part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment where I was allowed to work independently to develop curriculum.

Cons

Lack of benefits and hours

8. "A little confused"

Former Employee - Faculty

Pros

Great mountain environment and interesting programs

Cons

Inconsistent leadership, unprofessionalism, general confusion about the place of the community college in academia

Advice to Management

The lack of trust given to faculty is astounding! Without your faculty, you are nothing. Administrators should not be forcing a business model on the classroom.

9. "Lack of Pay/Opportunities for Advancement"

I have been working at Colorado Mountain College full-time

Pros

Most of the people at CMC are great and really care about the work they do. The health insurance is good right now, although that may be changing in a few months. The retirement is good if you are in PERA. Vacation is great at nearly 5 weeks/year. Most people really take advantage of this benefit to make up for the low salaries.

Cons

There is a serious lack of opportunity for advancement and the salaries are well below market value. They rely on the fact that there really aren't many other alternatives for work in the mountains and leverage that heavily when setting pay rates. Forget about ever getting anything other than a cost of living raise, which is rarely more than 1.5 - 2%. Promotions are nearly impossible unless someone retires. Employees are given new responsibilities and more work without a change in title or increase in pay, again demonstrating their take or leave it mentality. Management skills are severely lacking in some areas which greatly hinders some departments.

Advice to Management

There is a looming wave of retirements coming in the next 4 years. You should be implementing succession planning strategies now to leverage in-house talent, ensure a smooth transition, and provide opportunities for advancement and professional growth. Don't be afraid to remove people from positions who are ineffective. Finally, compensate people fairly for the work they do.

10. "Good"

Pros

Decent vacation time, good benefits

Cons

Lack of pay, or opportunities

Advice to Management

Pay better to retain talent