Colorado Springs Utilities Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Field Collections"

Former Employee - Field Collector in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Field Collector in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Colorado Springs Utilities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, People depending on department , Hours of operation

Cons

To Many to list

"Planning Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Colorado Springs Utilities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was good and benefits were good. Team members were enjoyable to work with. It is in a very nice city.

Cons

Very large company with many layers of management. They expected you to drive your own vehicle to work sites and did not reimburse you for the mileage.

Advice to Management

Let people do their work without staring over their shoulder. To many meetings. Engineering and Operations personnel did not get along well. There needs to be a good relationship here and this needs to be improved.

"mid level manager"

I have been working at Colorado Springs Utilities full-time

Pros

Strong community minded company. Very talented workers. Compensation is above average and sick and vacation time are good. Work environment is above average and peer to peer relationships are strong.

Cons

Executive leadership are often very slow to react to any opportunity presented from the workforce and are often too engaged in local politics rather than keeping their focus on the work of the company.

Advice to Management

Stick to the job at hand and stay out of politics. Let the BOD do their job. Focus on doing the best you can for the rate payer, employees and community.

"Good people bad management"

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Colorado Springs Utilities full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A very interesting company with diverse customer deliverables. Good people with great hearts. Some pockets where it feels like family.

Cons

Upper management is terrible. They don't listen to employees and lack knowledge of the areas they manage. Employees are told to do more with less all the time while managers get to travel and take in conferences. Often managers will dictate rather than leverage the skills of employees. Purchasing is a nightmare often taking months of work.

Advice to Management

Fire the CEO, officers, and general managers and start fresh.

"Bad Place to Work, But not Completely"

I have been working at Colorado Springs Utilities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, good benefits, can completely slack off and not worry about termination, no need to be competent in your position, little accountability.

Cons

The previous review of CSU is completely fake. This is a pretty bad place to work. I agree with the one of the previous reviews that it is most likely fake and was written by an HR rep. If you look at the location of the review it is in California!! We are a municipal utility with no remote offices.

The quality of the people here is terrible. If CSU were a private enterprise, it would have went out of business a decade ago. Incompetence is rampant, with no accountability (a pro if your one of those employees). There are a few bright individuals, but they are hard to find. Even if you do find them, they are busy trying to fix everyone else's mistakes. I have legitimately wondered how some of these employees have gotten their driver's license. Seriously. Mistakes are made on the daily and end up falling on the few competent employees for correction, which has made us very frustrated and view our work as solely for a paycheck. As a result, we've had and continue to have, a mass exodus of our best people. The ones that are left are the ones that can't find other jobs because they have no valuable skill or are stuck for PERA reasons (see previous review). I am in the process of leaving the company myself. If you are extremely incompetent, can brown nose, and want to slack off, welcome home.

Advice to Management

My advice is unrealistic, but this company needs to fire about 75% of the workforce and start from the bottom-up in terms of hiring employees with talent. Institute pay-for-performance. We owe it to our citizen-owners.

Colorado Springs Utilities Response

Jan 14, 2016 – Senior Human Resources Specialist - Talent Acquisition & Selection

In reference to the previous review being "fake" - HR does not engage in creating false reviews. The location showing CA was likely a mistake by the reviewer. As for mass exodus - not true. Our... More

"Lacks Leadership and has Significant Ethics Issues"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Colorado Springs Utilities full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people, community owned, lots of room for advancement due to high turnover - working here has become a revolving door. As reported by one officer, the conflict between the City Council and Mayor continue to work in our favor and leadership needs to continue to push and encourage that conflict.

Cons

The organization lacks complete ethics. Nearly every department is faced with leadership troubles. There are serious financial challenges that continue to be hidden from City Council. We tout a "culture of honor" yet we practice a culture of lies; our PR department is notorious for spinning everything, and there jobs duties consist of using various screen names to post positive comments on all blogs and articles associated with CSU.

Advice to Management

You have run our organization and the rate payers company in the ground. Move on....

"Customer Service Representative Call Center"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Colorado Springs Utilities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benes, it is solid employment, decent pay considering title, nice people to work with

Cons

You become a robot pretty quick, high turnover. Typical call center.

Advice to Management

Respect the little people.