Colorado Springs Utilities Reviews | Glassdoor

Jerry Forte

"Shockingly poor management."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Colorado Springs Utilities full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fairly nice offices and the pay is decent for Colorado Springs.

Cons

Not a good place to work if you value ethics and believe that hard work and good decisions will lead to your advancement. There is no real oversight by City Council so there is no incentive to make good business decisions that are in the long-term best interests of customers. Millions in rate payer money has been wasted because of ill conceived project decisions. Leadership is lacking and top management are "yes men and women". Employee complaints are ignored and favoritism is the main criteria for advancement.

Advice to Management

Top management needs to be fired and replaced with intelligent, ethical, experienced managers who genuinely care about employees and customers.

"The most unethical and corrupt company in Colorado Springs"

I worked at Colorado Springs Utilities (More than 5 years)

Pros

CSU used to be a good company. But then Jerry Forte became CEO and all of that changed. Don't believe the positive reviews on this site, I think they are bogus. However, the negative reviews are spot on. The only good thing at CSU is the health insurance and probably why people stay. Actually, it is the PERA trap. I would have to say that there are some nice people here, but an employer with almost 2000 people, you would expect it. But overall, most people operate in negativity.

Cons

Where does one begin? Everything that has been said about CSU from other commenters is true. And more. It is seriously an extremely unethical and corrupt company. I wish that I could give specfics, but it would reveal the area that people work in. Employees operate in fear of retaliation for standing for the truth. Management has created a hostile work environment with racism, discrimination and harrasment----very common place. If you value yourself, please don't work at CSU. Its a horrible place. There is no room for advancement at CSU. They post jobs internally, but they don't tell you that they already have someone in mind for the job. People are leaving the company in droves. In fact, they force everyone to participate in a class called culture of honor and respect because they are trying to stop the bleeding. However, nothing has changed and people still are trying to get out.

Advice to Management

Management is not interested in what others have to say. They live in a bubble and are completed disconnected from employees. One day, One day, the truth will be known about CSU and they will have a difficult time getting positions filled once people know that they will step into a nightmare in accepting employment with this company.

"With Major Change in Management at All Levels Could be a Good Place to Work"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Colorado Springs Utilities full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Benefits and you may have a good supervisor. No money for at least next 4-5 years, huge budget cuts, no raises, etc.. Fairness is non existent. Merit system does not exist and it is entirely the spoils system(hope you are best friends with your boss).

Cons

Financial issues and they are "sudden"(cant be more fake). No Trust and Huge Outsourcing to Occur due to tremendous financial pressures. It is supposed to be a culture of honor and there isn't honesty by the leadership. Everything is back door who can drive the nail in other's back and most money wins. That is how people move up - period.
    Systems that are bigger that fail(Oracle Utility Solution, i.e. supply management/Maximo or trade/ETRM) fail left and right and are still seen as big successes with no implementation whatsoever after millions of dollars and no delivery or results. People in these groups are still given extra pay like other government agencies when everything fails. Time to privatize.

Advice to Management

At least gain the concept of how to develop talent. The approach of kiss the right person's tail has no gain for the company overall. Almost every position I have seen filled by the company the candidate does not have the minimum qualifications if any. I have not seen a promotion based on merit in years.

"Do not recommend"

I worked at Colorado Springs Utilities full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The one pro about CSU is that they have decent insurance benefits, but that is all they have to offer. I would think that other companies have comparable benefits.
    There are small pockets of good people who just got stuck here.

Cons

PERA - If you think that PERA is a benefit, think again. It forces the workforce to stay even when they don't want to. Which ultimately leads to complacency and and an "I don't care attitude".
    HR department - Interestingly, the HR departments role at CSU is to protect the company from lawsuits from employees. The HR department is probably the most corrupt and incompetent aspect of CSU.
    If you read the "positive" posts on this site. I promise you that they are fake and they are coming from the HR department.
    CSU is in a crisis right now.......which was inevitable because of corrupt and unethical leadership beginning with the very top all the way down to the supervisory level.
    Supervisors get away with creating a hostile work environment, sexual harassment, lying to direct reports, lying about direct reports, etc, I think you get the picture. If you file a complaint about your supervisor or manager, you will be retaliated against. And guess what, HR will not do anything about it.
    The only people who kind of succeed at CSU are the extreme lazy who spend 3/4 of their time sucking up to leadership.
    CSU's only concern is to get the work force to a "mid-point" salary. Once you have arrived there, you no longer get raises above 2%. In other words, your work performance has zero value. It is all based upon either getting to the mid point and/or sucking up to leadership.
    Recently, a general manager sent out an email that stated he was leaving CSU immediately. He also stated in his email that the executive leadership was corrupt and giving themselves extravagant raises while the rest of the workforce fights over 2% raises.

It would be interesting to know how many people have left CSU this year. They have announced that they are cutting 100 positions.In the meantime, they force budget cuts on certain departments, but not others. It all depends on if you are liked by the executive team.
    When it comes to promotions, forget it. You have to wait for someone to die, retire or quit to "apply" for a position. They will let you work higher level positions without promoting you and you will be stuck with your 2% raises if you are lucky.

Advice to Management

Management would never take advice from anyone so this basically would be a complete waste of time and energy. But I do believe that CSU is imploding within. At some point in time, it will fall apart and management will be left holding the ball.

"Good people led by terrible management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

Knowledgeable employees lured in by the decent pay and benefits. An okay place to put in some time and build your resume.

Cons

Toxic corporate culture led by self-serving CEO who surrounds himself with mostly "yes men" and a very few "yes women". Don't expect a long-term career if you think for yourself and are conscientious and are serious about serving the public.

Advice to Management

Since I know management won't listen to any advice, my advice is to City Council - replace top management.

"Energy Portfolio Mgmt"

I have been working at Colorado Springs Utilities full-time

Pros

Stable, the expectation of work is low.

Cons

More political, lack of vision, people work hard to analyze a problem and mangement makes a decision regardless of the analysis, but based on city council opinion.

"horrific"

Current Employee - Maintenance Electrician in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Maintenance Electrician in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Colorado Springs Utilities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

municipal pay and benefits. some decent co workers. no future in working here. hard to believe, but that is a pro. because of you worked here..... you'd be looking for a new job by now.

Cons

atrocious work environment. this place it's what happens when there is zero accountability for terrible decisions. Nepotism at it's worst. if you know someone that works here...... then you're in. skills????? not necessary. Butt kissing and boot licking are mandatory. career pathways to a better future? Nope.

Advice to Management

fire everybody after you learn how to actually hire talented and skilled individuals. seek out management that knows how to attract skilled trades workers. Brown nosing isn't a skill. and trade skills are what keeps this place in operation. not sycophantic bullies who terrorize their subordinates because they hoped that keeping people down will stop them from noticing the lack of leadership skills.

"Great place if you want to put time in...and are not career driven"

Pros

Colorado Springs Utilities has good people and okay benefits. There is a great job security at CSU and the people that work there understand that aspect. They have a good work/life balance since there is no high stress areas. You can work as much or as little (40 hours)...it is how much work you want to create for yourself.

Cons

At Colorado Springs Utilities, there is no accountability. You can screw up and it will be brushed under the rug. All decisions are based upon how it would be perceived if the local newspaper were to spin it. No business decisions, all political decisions. This is due to the city council running Utilities. If you are a driven individual and want to move up in the organization on business principals, not the company for you.

Advice to Management

Managers need to lead and have a common vision they are working towards. They need to communicate that vision to the workers so they understand how the decisions they make on a daily basis fit the vision. Management (it is not leadership at Colorado Springs) needs to ask the hard questions to there employees and not be in touch with there employees.

"Lacks Leadership and has Significant Ethics Issues"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Colorado Springs Utilities full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people, community owned, lots of room for advancement due to high turnover - working here has become a revolving door. As reported by one officer, the conflict between the City Council and Mayor continue to work in our favor and leadership needs to continue to push and encourage that conflict.

Cons

The organization lacks complete ethics. Nearly every department is faced with leadership troubles. There are serious financial challenges that continue to be hidden from City Council. We tout a "culture of honor" yet we practice a culture of lies; our PR department is notorious for spinning everything, and there jobs duties consist of using various screen names to post positive comments on all blogs and articles associated with CSU.

Advice to Management

You have run our organization and the rate payers company in the ground. Move on....

"Bad Place to Work, But not Completely"

I have been working at Colorado Springs Utilities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, good benefits, can completely slack off and not worry about termination, no need to be competent in your position, little accountability.

Cons

The previous review of CSU is completely fake. This is a pretty bad place to work. I agree with the one of the previous reviews that it is most likely fake and was written by an HR rep. If you look at the location of the review it is in California!! We are a municipal utility with no remote offices.

The quality of the people here is terrible. If CSU were a private enterprise, it would have went out of business a decade ago. Incompetence is rampant, with no accountability (a pro if your one of those employees). There are a few bright individuals, but they are hard to find. Even if you do find them, they are busy trying to fix everyone else's mistakes. I have legitimately wondered how some of these employees have gotten their driver's license. Seriously. Mistakes are made on the daily and end up falling on the few competent employees for correction, which has made us very frustrated and view our work as solely for a paycheck. As a result, we've had and continue to have, a mass exodus of our best people. The ones that are left are the ones that can't find other jobs because they have no valuable skill or are stuck for PERA reasons (see previous review). I am in the process of leaving the company myself. If you are extremely incompetent, can brown nose, and want to slack off, welcome home.

Advice to Management

My advice is unrealistic, but this company needs to fire about 75% of the workforce and start from the bottom-up in terms of hiring employees with talent. Institute pay-for-performance. We owe it to our citizen-owners.

Colorado Springs Utilities Response

Jan 14, 2016 – Senior Human Resources Specialist - Talent Acquisition & Selection

In reference to the previous review being "fake" - HR does not engage in creating false reviews. The location showing CA was likely a mistake by the reviewer. As for mass exodus - not true. Our ... More