Colorado Technical University Reviews | Glassdoor

Colorado Technical University President Andrew Hurst
Andrew Hurst

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Its basically a call center for a for profit business (in 15 reviews)

• Slow to advance and high turnover in support departments (in 14 reviews)

1. "Admissions Advisor Senior B"

I worked at Colorado Technical University full-time

Pros

Very good school with teachers that care

Cons

Once you reach a certain status level in Admissions, there are no other promotion levels unless you want to get in to management.

2. "Flexible, Friendly and Professional"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Colorado Technical University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Daily schedules are pretty flexible as long as you're there during core business hours and put in your time. You can even work from home a few times a month, depending on your department's leadership. Compensation is also highly competitive.

Cons

There are a lot of internal and leadership changes, but managers are good about reassuring of the bigger picture.

Advice to Management

Structured initial training to get used to processes and clear direction on departmental goals would be beneficial. Also, more interdepartmental meetings across teams could improve communication and help everyone work on cohesive projects instead of compartmentalizing efforts.

3. "Perspective is Everything!"

Current Employee - Campus Director in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Campus Director in Schaumburg, IL

Pros

CTU pays their employees and Directors well. There is overtime available for employees and employees have a lot of options when it comes to overtime and schedule accommodation. We really help students and it is a fast paced environment so you are always learning something new.

The technology for the student and within our virtual platform is amazing, Our students are really set up for success with the technology we offer. PTO time is abundant and can be used easily.

I work with some amazing people and have learned so many different processes and soft skills. When you have the right leadership (I do) its fun to come to work.

I like the freedom to create an atmosphere that is beneficial for the team and employees involved.

Cons

Work life balance can be difficult if you are not used to an interesting and at times challenging schedule. CTU has a communication opportunity. It will be great to know what's going to happen ahead of time instead of getting it same day or within 48 hours and you must accommodate regardless of the schedule.

Management can use additional training specifically people skills and learning how to work better with the employee and a better process with onboarding.

IEX System can use some upgrading

Advice to Management

Take time when training other leaders. Its best to train the correct way the first time.

Continue to hire from within. Its a great confidence booster for advisors and others looking to move up to the next role.

4. "Director of Admissions"

Current Employee - Director of Admissions in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Director of Admissions in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Colorado Technical University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

CTU is a great place to grow your career and to do it quickly. There are many layers of promotion opportunities to advance a career if you work hard. I know first hand. I've been lucky enough to spend 10+ years with CTU and have learned a tremendous amount about college admissions and leadership skills.

Cons

There are no cons for those that work hard and remain focused.

5. "Campus Director of Admissions"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Colorado Technical University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Our work matters. This isn't a typical call center position even though we do look like one. We help people to further their education where they may have no other option other than an online format. Showing a path to improve their lives via education. Other call center positions can't hold a candle to that; mobile phones, TV/internet servicing et al. Helping students, have a potential to improve their communities and more students paying tuition does help keep the lights on. Its a win-win. I appreciate the tranparency of leadership in direction, current state and accrediting bodies. We hide nothing. After 3 months of employment, employees can take advantage of a virtualy free education benefit. COME TO CTU!

Cons

The hours are comparible to retail and it takes a certain type of individual to thrive in this environment. It's not for everyone. Our student technology is top notch but our admissions technology is antiquated and needs a serious upgrade. I heard that upgrade is coming in 2018

Advice to Management

Invest in systems that improve the admissions and admissions leadership process; time keeping, attendance, workforce and lead management. More promotional opportunities to directors, similar to the inline admissions advisor process.

"Chaotic, but I have a good team to work with. (Online Division)"

Current Employee - Financial Aid Advisor in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Financial Aid Advisor in Schaumburg, IL

Pros

Friendly co-workers in my team
    Need to think on your feet, can be intellectually stimulating
    Company Events - Picnic, holiday party, misc
    Pay is decent, but could be better
    Some of the benefits are nice - (see prescription coverage in cons section)

Cons

About half of the employees don't seem to care about the job which causes problems for the people that do. Things will be missed that are required for students to get their financial aid in a timely fashion which then requires the skilled and caring employees to pick up the slack. There seems to be a decent amount of "passing the buck" that goes on, some of the people don't seem to want to solve any problems, just pass it along. Workload can feel overwhelming at times, very difficult to finish everything that needs to be accomplished. My prescription drug coverage (which is supposed to be the second best level of coverage out of the three options) has been problematic recently. First I had good experiences, could fill scripts at the Walgreens 2 min from my apartment, not too many limits. All of the sudden, instead of being able to fill a 90 day supply on my meds, I needed to only get one month at a time which required me to get a new prescription from my doctor. One month later when it came time to refill my prescription, I was told it was denied because I needed to go to a CVS or Target pharmacy (across town) and that I would need to go back to the 90 day supply since it's for "maintenance" meds (which I now need a new prescription for...). I know this is more of a critique on the insurance company, but that's problematic for those who need recurring prescriptions. Not a fan of the temp-to-hire structure either, seems like a revolving door issue (lots of turnover).

"Senior Military admissions advisor"

Former Employee - Senior Admissions Military Advisor in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Admissions Military Advisor in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Colorado Technical University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay,Great team members ,Helps build, professionalism,A chance to go to school for free if you can make it a year there.

Cons

Management from the Director level down is inconsistent

You can't really be of service to your students while be micprmanged and pressured by numbers. I understand metrics need to be put in place to maintain effort. But the expectations are ridiculous unless you have good rapport with tenured management that can feed you enrollments.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. For those you let go actually do an exit interview instead of just walking them out.

8. "Financial aid"

I worked at Colorado Technical University full-time

Pros

The people were all very nice and seemed enthusiastic about their jobs

Cons

Not a lot of training, high turn over

"Campus Director of Admissions"

Former Employee - Campus Director of Admissions in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Campus Director of Admissions in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Colorado Technical University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Provided me the opportunity to grow within organization. Grateful for the experience and growth

Cons

Leadership truly does not care about employees. Vice Presidents over each location (division) openly discuss ways to get rid of employees and are open about letting everyone know it's all about bottom line profitability. What's disturbing is that common phase in management is "If _________ can't do it, we will find someone that will." Please understand that most people are inspired by their leaders, majority of employees choose to stay with a company or leave a company based on their boss and work environment. Advisors have the ability to work in inside sales, costumer service, or any call center environment where they will be appreciated by leadership.

Advice to Management

Take a minute, self-reflect, and start evaluating leadership. Invest in true anonymous surveys.......at this point it may be too late due to lake of trust and dysfunction. Focus on establishing trust in the workplace along with empowering your employees. Act now before it declines even more.

"Senior Student Success coach / Schaumburg IL"

Former Employee - Senior Student Success Coach in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Student Success Coach in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Colorado Technical University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some wonderful people who work at CTU. One of the best parts of the job is your co-workers (minus management).

It is also a casual work environment, which is favorable due to Chicago winter conditions.

Cons

In the student advising department, management is terrible from the Directors of student success through the team managers. The management is a littany of "yes men" and if you have a differing opinion or develop an idea that they havent sanctioned, you will be on the chopping block.

The directors specfically set a toxic culture for the entire department and due to their personal issues which each other, it causes employees to be unsure who to follow. One of the directors, Is the worst manager i have worked for. He is aloof and absolutely clueless about what students needs to be successful. When you ask him direct questions about priorities, he will provide a rambling, barely coherent response. If you ask for a direct answer, you will be considered "negative" and from hence forth you will have a target on your back. This director also looks for any petty reason to assert his authority as he lacks confidence as a manager and once you are on his bad side, he will relentlessy look for an excuse to terminate you.

The cohort sizes that advisors are expected to manage is around 450 students, 30% of which is always on the verge of failure. You are expected to retain all 30% until they fail out or are dismissed for lack of attendance. Each advisor is expected to retain 85% of your cohort every session amd when you drop below that, you are punished and they question every action you take. Sometimes, no matter what your effort, students will quit regardless of what you do. The management doesnt want to believe that and would rather blame coaches and put in more punitive measures to "hold them accountable". This coupled with the new attendance policy is designed to make it into a true "gotcha" system.

All of these issues are compounded by the unclear direction of the department and the unethical idea of retaining every student, no matter what. These are the reasons for the high turnover amongst employees.

Advice to Management

University leadership should completely fire the entire management team for the advising department and start from scratch. There is a lot of talent amongst the current advisors, and they could turn the department around.