Columbia Analytical Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Greg Kilmister

1. "IT Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Castle Rock, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Castle Rock, WA

I worked at Columbia Analytical Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee-owned company where everyone had a say and a vested interest in the company doing well. The better the company did, the better the employee did.

Cons

Eventually sold to a larger, global company. After the sale, everyone was treated more like a number than an actual person.

2. "Columbia was a great company to work for."

Former Employee - Analyst to Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Analyst to Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Columbia Analytical Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Columbia Analytical Services Jacksonville was an outstanding laboratory. The culture was phenomenal and all collegues were great to work with. Management was always solid and the staff made every effort to make the best out of everyday. Client expectations were the only mantra of concern, and the staff did an excellent job meeting those expectations. I started there weighing dirt many years ago, and am now part of senior management with another laboratory operation. Kudos to the talent behind Columbia Analytical Services! ALS bought a great company.

Cons

Standing for long periods of time doing bench work, loading instruments, cleaning glassware, vialing samples, making reagents, and general cleaning were pretty hard on the back and neck. I used to go for short walks outside to stretch and loosen up.

Advice to Management

There is very little to say. Management did an excellent job building a company that has a great reputation.

3. "Great company when it was CAS but not at all since it became ALS"

Former Employee - Scientist in Kelso, WA
    Former Employee - Scientist in Kelso, WA

I worked at Columbia Analytical Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Used to give responsibility to employees, but doesn't anymore. No pros for ALS

Cons

Good place to start but doesn't give opportunity to grow in career and take on more responsibility.

Advice to Management

Work life balance is ignored

4. "The joy of my life time career."

Former Employee - Chemical Analyst in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Chemical Analyst in Savannah, GA

I worked at Columbia Analytical Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I was allowed to grow.

Cons

This was a contractor position.

5. "Sacrifice your life for the company"

Former Employee - Scientist III in Canoga Park, CA
    Former Employee - Scientist III in Canoga Park, CA

I worked at Columbia Analytical Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Initially, there was a good opportunity to learn and work on advanced instrumentation. There was also a feeling (at least at first) that you could make a difference and really contribute to the Company's growth (I worked there for pretty much all of the 90's).

Cons

Once you learned a certain job, you where going to do that job forever. You would also be tasked with a number of other jobs, but your previous responsibilities would not go away. In other words, the Company's idea of "promoting" you was to dump more and more work on you (salary did not change).
    The so-called "open-door policy" was a joke. I can't tell you how many times I got stabbed in the back by senior management after complaining (politely, I might add) about my substance-abusing boss. Needless to say, nothing was done about my supervisor's issues for about 5 years ( to CAS' credit, he was eventually fired).
    You had a horrible feeling of despair because since you where salaried, you where required to work until everything got done, but you had no authority to accept or decline work. I remember working a number of unpaid all-nighters to try and get caught up. So much for a social life.

Advice to Management

Senior management needs to stop taking the line supervisor's word as gospel, especially when everyone in a department disagrees with them.
    Also, when an employee reports fraud against a superior, management needs to be a lot more proactive about investigating the issue and protecting the employee from retaliation (CAS has been burned by this twice)

"ALS Environmental bought CAS in October 2011."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kelso, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kelso, WA

I have been working at Columbia Analytical Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A real 401K plan instead of the ESOP under CAS which only benefited people who stayed there for many years.

Cons

The ALS business plan is to work 24-7 at low-margin analyses. This is not good for the Kelso lab which was formerly the R&D center for CAS. Kelso has a much higher ratio of higher-paid senior scientists than other labs in the former CAS network. Now all that ALS sees in Kelso is a fat payroll that needs trimming. Management that was at least approachable before is now based in Houston, very distant both literally and figuratively. ALS feels much more like a treadmill than CAS ever did.

Advice to Management

Enjoy the money you got from the ESOP because ALS will wreck the Kelso lab.

"10 years later and six job bids later my range of responsibilities is now less than when I started."

Current Employee - Scientist IV in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Scientist IV in Houston, TX

Pros

It's a living. For much of my time there we were on salary; get the work done, then go home. Doesn't apply now, of course, but it was a

Cons

Unless you're one of the favored few, expect to be in the same job until you quit or die.
    Local management insisted on analytical corner cutting. Why did it take years of complaints before doing something about him?

Advice to Management

You provided a good management training tool in SkillSoft; too bad you don't insist that the mid level management actually use and learn from it. The COO's vision of concentrating on high margin testing is a good one, but local management has that bottom feeder mentality and can't see much past the existing SOPs. Good vision, poor execution. I don't have much hope for this place in the long run.

8. "Great company"

Former Employee - Chemist
    Former Employee - Chemist

I worked at Columbia Analytical Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employee owned company, very supportive Corporate staff

Cons

Sold to ALS, not enough corporate support, morale decreased