Columbia Bank (WA, OR & ID) Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 25, 2019

3.2
Hadley S. Robbins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They care about their employes and have great benefits" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "People go to other financial institutions all the time because of this" (in 3 reviews)

• "Or if you have a parent or uncle in upper management" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"The most amazing group of people."

Former Employee - Branch Supervisor in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Branch Supervisor in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Columbia Bank (WA, OR & ID) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The core values really are so important to everyone. There was never a day that I felt everyone didn't want to be there. They care about serving the community. If you are a hard worker, they will promote you!!

Cons

Base pay is on the low end.

2. "Review"

Current Employee - Fraud Assistant in Lakewood, WA
    Current Employee - Fraud Assistant in Lakewood, WA

I have been working at Columbia Bank (WA, OR & ID) (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Family atmosphere, truly value their employees and their lives

Cons

A little bit behind in times in terms of technology

Advice to Management

N/A

"Walk in, sit down, shut up and you'll be fine!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Columbia Bank (WA, OR & ID) full-time

Pros

Easy Schedule: You won't work late. I think if you are a parent, especially a single parent, this place is ideal for ensuring no weird hours pop up.

Easy Work: I rarely felt challenged by my work (this is good and bad).

Bank Holidays: Lots of time off.

Benefits: Not the best benefits, but certainly not the worst either.

Vacation Buyback: You can "buy" a whole week of vacation. Pretty sweet.

Good Outlook: This company is not going anywhere anytime soon, so if you get a job here I think job security would be pretty solid.

They're Trying: The bank has its downsides (see below) but I do think it is genuinely trying to modernize itself. But it is slow going and with that modernization comes a lot of growing pains.

Cons

Mean People: Some of the meanest people I've ever met, I encountered in the halls of Columbia Bank. The "no jerks allowed rule" is...not enforced. It's like a daily gathering/convention for bullies. BullyCon.

Gossip: Great place if your interested in people gossiping about others personal and professional lives. Wanna know salaries, disciplinary issues, personal drama, etc? This is the place.

Toxic Culture: Manager-heavy structure, very ego-driven, lack of transparency, etc. Would not recommend this to anyone seeking a collaborative or innovative workplace. The bank may make it there in future, but today is not that day. Some of the other reviews about being "chained to a desk" and heavy use of outdated methods are fairly accurate. In my role there was opportunity to work remotely (though it was for emergency reasons only, it wasn't a regular thing nor was it encouraged).

A note to contractors: Ask UP FRONT about your contract (how long it will last, if they plan to hire you and if so, when). I spent an ungodly amount of time as a contractor, meaning there were many weeks I would be forced to work an additional two hours per day to catch up to 40 hours (bank holidays). I was kept in the dark until my hiring over a year and a half later and it was an absolute nightmare.

People management needs work. At one point I got pulled into an office with a woman who tormented me on a daily basis. I was calm as a spoke my truth while a more senior manager threatened me with my job (nothing was ever addressed prior to this point, it just went from everyone saying nothing to me being threatened with my job). The woman, a known bully and my former manager, cried what I would call "white woman tears" (Google it) as though she was the one being tormented by her own subordinate. The woman was promoted just weeks later.

Advice to Management

- The number of managers is too damn high.

- Hiring the next generation of bankers won't be easy, especially with the dark offices surrounded by massive egotistical offices (seriously they are like living rooms) that do not lend themselves to collaboration in anyway. And the "motivational posters" in the break rooms...whew.

- The number of mean people is too damn high. I still have nightmares about it.

- Pay people more, and make it equitable. Some people are outrageously paid and sat around doing nothing (basically) while others slave away from the moment they walk in until the moment they leave.

- Pay for the Corporate Offices employees' parking. I believe there are less locations I could count on one hand where paid parking is essentially required. This means there are more employees than not who get to park for free, why not even the playing field or just offset it a little bit.

- Trust your employees. 90 percent of the time I was here, I just sat wondering why I was even hired. Wondering why my skills weren't being used. Wondering why I'd work hard on project proposals and new concepts that would end up being much ado about nothing. There are a lot of talented people at this bank, but the culture of "doing things this way because we've always done it this way" is hindering them. There's also the "we're doing it this way because some VP/SVP/etc said so," which is at times necessary but not every leader is always right. The people on the ground know what is going on - listen to them.

- Set up a regular review process. I was here almost three years (between contracting and FTE) and never got a review. How does anyone grow or get better without a review? Perhaps having a review would have prevented me from being threatened with my job (as mentioned above). How one goes from having no record with HR to being inches away from being fired for not tolerating nasty behavior is beyond me.

- Enforce the no jerks policy. Please.

This place has potential, but the powers that be need to let that potential thrive!

4. "Credit Analyst II"

Former Employee - Credit & Portfolio Analyst in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Credit & Portfolio Analyst in Salem, OR

I worked at Columbia Bank (WA, OR & ID) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back environment
    Good amount of autonomy

Cons

Salary too low to keep talent
    Lost deals due to lack of client entertainment

Advice to Management

Allow your Relationship Managers to spend money on client entertainment so they can win more deals.

"Branch Officer"

I worked at Columbia Bank (WA, OR & ID) full-time

Pros

Customers, branch staff, benefits, coworkers

Cons

Salary, upper management, branch region

"Inhumane maternity leave policy"

I have been working at Columbia Bank (WA, OR & ID) full-time

Pros

Growing or plans to grow which equals opportunities

Cons

Too many issues to realistically grow how they want. Need lots of tech and procedure improvement. TERRIBLE maternity leave. Have to use all of your vacation time and sick days then go on FMLA. If you’re a female working at Columbia Bank, having a baby might ruin your career—or you might have to choose between time to bond with your child or a job/paycheck.

Advice to Management

It’s 2018. Get a competitive and humane maternity leave plan for your employees and prove the gap in banking beween women and men isn’t as bad as people on Glassdoor clearly experience at this company.

"Teller/Personal Banker"

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Columbia Bank (WA, OR & ID) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, great people you work with

Cons

The back office needs to go back to training. The whole board does honestly. The have no idea what is going on in the branch or our customers. The lack of communication between them and the people in the branch is ridiculous and caused the most problems in the branch. We would have someone in Lakewood on the 800 number tell a customer something that was not even in our SOPs, we would then have to fix the correction and tell the customer sorry, making us look dumb, honestly. You say you are all about community but you dont even care about your employees. I got bumped up to a PB within a year of working and was told i wouldnt be compensated for that title until my review, which was four months away. Im not going to work hard to advance in a company when they refuse to acknowledge it and pay me for what im doing. The systems are way outdated. Computers would be frozen for 5-10 minutes while a customer is trying to deposit money.

Advice to Management

ADVANCE YOUR SYSTEMS. Take care of your current employees. You have such a high turn around rate it blows my mind no one from HR has looked into this at all.

"Growing Pains"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Columbia Bank (WA, OR & ID) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, pay and flexible schedule.

Cons

Old systems, processes and slow to adjust to a changing industry. Unspoken culture is that teams and departments don’t work well together and management can be very territorial.

Advice to Management

Create an innovative culture and one where leadership needs to listen, decide and then get out of the way. Employees are wanting improvement not empty “plans” or excuses.

"No Chance for advancement"

I worked at Columbia Bank (WA, OR & ID) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Customers are awesome! Most of the co-workers are great!

Cons

Management has a lack of desire to cross train their employees. They say that they are going to, but always change their mind, never allowing their employees to learn other things even though they have asked multiple times.
    Very pushy sales requests. You HAVE to meet your sales goals or you get in trouble.

Advice to Management

CROSS TRAIN YOUR EMPLOYEES!! GIVE THEM A CHANCE TO ADVANCE IN THE COMPANY!! MAKE IT A COMPANY THAT YOUR EMPLOYEES WANT TO MAKE A CAREER!!

"Low pay, have to be aggressive in sales"

Current Employee - Client Service Specialist in Oregon City, OR
    Current Employee - Client Service Specialist in Oregon City, OR

I have been working at Columbia Bank (WA, OR & ID) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy work mostly as a teller. You balance, keep your head down, you are mostly left alone. Coworkers seem nice.

Cons

You have to close sales. Aggressively. Tellers expected to close HELOCs, mortgages, etc all the time. No care about getting in new acts, just credit cards, loans, etc. Constant back-biting from managers. Pitting people against each other. Unreasonable deadlines.

Advice to Management

Train your tellers on being aggressive salesmen if that is what they are supposed to be. The line about selling to what the customer needs is BS when you put huge pressure on tellers that they HAVE to sell products they have little knowledge on.