Columbia Bank (WA, OR & ID) Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Hadley S. Robbins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They care about their employes and have great benefits" (in 6 reviews)

• "They don't push you to sell like some of the big banks, community feel, great benefits, flexible with my lifestyle" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "Fairly low pay compared to others that are with in a similar industry" (in 4 reviews)

• "People go to other financial institutions all the time because of this" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Review"

Current Employee - Fraud Assistant in Lakewood, WA
    Current Employee - Fraud Assistant in Lakewood, WA

I have been working at Columbia Bank (WA, OR & ID) (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Family atmosphere, truly value their employees and their lives

Cons

A little bit behind in times in terms of technology

Advice to Management

N/A

"Branch Officer"

I worked at Columbia Bank (WA, OR & ID) full-time

Pros

Customers, branch staff, benefits, coworkers

Cons

Salary, upper management, branch region

"Sexism, Ageism, Boy's Club and Everything In Between"

Current Employee - Corporate in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Corporate in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Columbia Bank (WA, OR & ID) full-time

Pros

Regular schedule, free oxygen, free tampons at Corporate Building, affordable health insurance (for family too).

Cons

Working at Columbia Bank is like working in a time machine, at least at the Corporate Office. Except it is the worst time machine ever. Believe the other reviews: women are second class citizens here. The fact that there is not a formal maternity policy should tell you everything that you need to know about how this company treats women.

The corporate office has a "Wellness" room that really is a tiny closet where I sometimes go to cry and question my existence. It is also a dark place where new moms get to go to pump during the day since they are not granted maternity time off. The good news for corporate office employees is that these "leaders" will be FORCED to change their ways when STATE LAW forces them to in 2020 (requiring paid maternity leave so women can have babies and keep the human race alive, go figure).

As a women, you can expect to be held liable for mens mistakes. You can expect your mistakes to be treated as astronomical (no matter its impact or lack thereof). Men can expect to make mistakes and be given a pat on the head and told to "do better" next time.

Men are paid astronomically more than woman, it is not even funny. The Corporate office is a massive rumor mill. Some of it true, some of it not. Depends on the source, really.

HR is probably the worst offender. Sharing people's personal lives, salaries and issues like it's the evening news. The "leaders" do not care though, the "leaders" here only care about themselves. If you go to a "leader" to share a concern about issues (ethical, team, whatever) they will ignore you. They will throw anyone under the buss to save their own butt.

My advice? Find a better palce to work. Don't believe the smoke and mirrors. If I did not have a family to provide for, I wouldn't be here. If only the affordable health insurance made up for anything else happening here. So much corruption, illegal, unethical behavior happens here every day. If you want to join me in my misery, I'll be crying in the hallway.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like humans. Offer MATERNITY LEAVE. Wake up and bring the business to 2018. Chaining people to a desk and expecting innovation is moronic.

"Inhumane maternity leave policy"

I have been working at Columbia Bank (WA, OR & ID) full-time

Pros

Growing or plans to grow which equals opportunities

Cons

Too many issues to realistically grow how they want. Need lots of tech and procedure improvement. TERRIBLE maternity leave. Have to use all of your vacation time and sick days then go on FMLA. If you’re a female working at Columbia Bank, having a baby might ruin your career—or you might have to choose between time to bond with your child or a job/paycheck.

Advice to Management

It’s 2018. Get a competitive and humane maternity leave plan for your employees and prove the gap in banking beween women and men isn’t as bad as people on Glassdoor clearly experience at this company.

"Teller/Personal Banker"

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Columbia Bank (WA, OR & ID) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, great people you work with

Cons

The back office needs to go back to training. The whole board does honestly. The have no idea what is going on in the branch or our customers. The lack of communication between them and the people in the branch is ridiculous and caused the most problems in the branch. We would have someone in Lakewood on the 800 number tell a customer something that was not even in our SOPs, we would then have to fix the correction and tell the customer sorry, making us look dumb, honestly. You say you are all about community but you dont even care about your employees. I got bumped up to a PB within a year of working and was told i wouldnt be compensated for that title until my review, which was four months away. Im not going to work hard to advance in a company when they refuse to acknowledge it and pay me for what im doing. The systems are way outdated. Computers would be frozen for 5-10 minutes while a customer is trying to deposit money.

Advice to Management

ADVANCE YOUR SYSTEMS. Take care of your current employees. You have such a high turn around rate it blows my mind no one from HR has looked into this at all.

"The most amazing group of people."

Former Employee - Branch Supervisor in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Branch Supervisor in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Columbia Bank (WA, OR & ID) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The core values really are so important to everyone. There was never a day that I felt everyone didn't want to be there. They care about serving the community. If you are a hard worker, they will promote you!!

Cons

Base pay is on the low end.

"Growing Pains"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Columbia Bank (WA, OR & ID) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, pay and flexible schedule.

Cons

Old systems, processes and slow to adjust to a changing industry. Unspoken culture is that teams and departments don’t work well together and management can be very territorial.

Advice to Management

Create an innovative culture and one where leadership needs to listen, decide and then get out of the way. Employees are wanting improvement not empty “plans” or excuses.

""Best workplace""

Pros

Collecting paycheck, clocking in at 8 am and clocking out at 5pm.

Cons

The work environment at Columbia Bank can be summed up in three words: Inefficiency, Incompetency, and Misogyny. Please read on to know the details:

1. Inefficiency
        *Business leaders are unfamiliar with modern technologies such as Excel Spreadsheet, Outlook Calendar, and other collaborative tools.
        *No productivity measurement for support employees, leading to serious operation bottlenecks, i.e. some people are super busy, while others sit idle.
        *Salespeople will dictate your work life. They love to glue you to your desk 8am - 5pm while they are on the street, at lunch, at conferences or doing other mysterious activities which they claim to generate sale leads for the Bank. FYI, they do not have SalesForce to monitor their sales effort so you can't really tell if these mysterious meetings are effective.
        *Paper files are everywhere. People print everything from emails, spreadsheets to PDFs. They cannot make notes on their computers. Instead, they love to show off their “beautiful” handwriting only for you to decipher what they doodled on the paper.
        *Bad tech support because the company tries to save money. The whole tech support team of 6-8 individuals have to serve a bank with >2,000 employees. Average tickets outstanding for any given month are about 3,000 per tech support employee. However, due to budget reasons, additional tech support employees won’t be approved.
    2. Incompetency
       *Business leaders make decisions with neither logic nor data.
       *Managements make excuses to not comply with better procedures.
       *Division managers are also sales people who do not possess any leadership skills.
       *Nobody knows how to work in a team. Miscommunications happen often.
       *Selling skills are highly valued here. Any other skills are only secondary.
       *The most complicated form of analysis is break-even analysis.
       *Inconsistent lending policy. Overpromise and underdeliver happen often.
    3. Misogyny
       *Women are tasked with cleaning dishes in the kitchen, bringing food to the events, and putting food away after meetings.
       *99% of the leaders are 6ft. tall white males. If you belong to a different race or gender, you will be alienated here, i.e. they will talk to you awkwardly or ask you culturally insensitive questions.
       *Male co-workers are good at "bro-ing" it out together such as swearing, putting legs on the tables or displaying extreme masculine emotions at work.

Advice to Management

Quit and go back to school to learn new skills.

"No Chance for advancement"

I worked at Columbia Bank (WA, OR & ID) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Customers are awesome! Most of the co-workers are great!

Cons

Management has a lack of desire to cross train their employees. They say that they are going to, but always change their mind, never allowing their employees to learn other things even though they have asked multiple times.
    Very pushy sales requests. You HAVE to meet your sales goals or you get in trouble.

Advice to Management

CROSS TRAIN YOUR EMPLOYEES!! GIVE THEM A CHANCE TO ADVANCE IN THE COMPANY!! MAKE IT A COMPANY THAT YOUR EMPLOYEES WANT TO MAKE A CAREER!!

"Low pay, have to be aggressive in sales"

Current Employee - Client Service Specialist in Oregon City, OR
    Current Employee - Client Service Specialist in Oregon City, OR

I have been working at Columbia Bank (WA, OR & ID) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy work mostly as a teller. You balance, keep your head down, you are mostly left alone. Coworkers seem nice.

Cons

You have to close sales. Aggressively. Tellers expected to close HELOCs, mortgages, etc all the time. No care about getting in new acts, just credit cards, loans, etc. Constant back-biting from managers. Pitting people against each other. Unreasonable deadlines.

Advice to Management

Train your tellers on being aggressive salesmen if that is what they are supposed to be. The line about selling to what the customer needs is BS when you put huge pressure on tellers that they HAVE to sell products they have little knowledge on.