Columbia Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steve Kenny

1. "An overall good employer..."

Current Employee - Staff Member in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Staff Member in Vancouver, WA

Pros

Holds staff and management accountable, which ensures overall job satisfaction as everyone works together to reach our goals and service our members. Promotes an ethical environment. Pay and benefits are commensurate with the local market. Good mix of long-term employees with experience and expertise along with new staff that bring new ideas and fresh perspectives.

Cons

Turnover can be high at times, but there's ebbs and flows. (Those who do not conform to the credit union's ethics, do not like providing exceptional service, or do not have pride in their work, find themselves not a part of the team, Vancouver as a community is constantly changing, and some turnover is healthy.) Team building exercises can get rather sophomoric at times. The organization can go into too many directions at once in attempt to help members and staff.

Advice to Management

You can't please everyone, but keep doing what is right and we'll all succeed!

"."

Former Employee - Anyomous in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Anyomous in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Columbia Credit Union full-time

Pros

epending on which department you work in. Some managwrs are supportive while others are over their heads.They are big on major holidays. Free medical for yourself only, otherwise arm and leg for your family. They work with you if you have a doctor's appointment and just have you work longer days to make up the difference.

Cons

Be careful who you talk to, everyone is out to get you or stab you in the back. Everyone is out for themselves. Some managers are very supportive and some micro managed. Insurance is only good for you, through Kaiser or you can go through somewhere else, but you will have to pay for it and your family and that's still alot. The pay rate is not all that great, but they tried to make it up with 401k and other stuff. Not alot of growth opportunities because their isn't many department's for you to move to.

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing and letting the good people go. Turn over rate is so high, they are starting not to care as much and is starting to act more like the bigger banks and it's all about the money. People will run away and not want to work here. Listen to your employers and let go some of the bad managers.

3. "Management"

Current Employee - Branch Management in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Branch Management in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Columbia Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good advancement opportunity, good benefits. Really good place to work if you are willing to work hard.

Cons

Long hours that old at times. Lots of projects as the moment that take you away from your primary role. Saturday hours

"An amazing place to work!"

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Columbia Credit Union full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Financially strong credit union who believes in helping people, both staff and its members, make life better. CCU is huge in the community and its people, encouraging their employees and believing in each staff member.

Cons

Columbia usually does a great job of promoting from within, I just wish they would do this more. This would help empower staff to work hard and do the best job they can. I love CCU!

Advice to Management

Keep your staff happy! Do this, and Columbia will continue to grow! Happy staff = healthy credit union. Looking forward to continuing in my success career at CCU!

"Lower than average pay and benefits compare to competitors."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

Pros

Federal holidays are off with pay.

Cons

Mandatory Vacation, management style, hostile work environment and unconscious Bias in the workplace, very high turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employee's when they bring business concerns to you. Management needs to relearn the definition of compassion and diversity and how to practice it correctly in the work place.

"I don't need a sentence to describe it, just one word BAD."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Columbia Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the people are great. Those around me work hard and are very knowledgeable. They do a great job.

Cons

Stay away from management at all costs. The higher the position the more child like they are. Don't trust them at all.

Advice to Management

Clean house get rid of people that are crushing the organization from the upper positions. Cannot wait to get out.

"Dishonest intent"

Former Employee - Vice President of Network Operations in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Vice President of Network Operations in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Columbia Credit Union (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is growing and was willing to spend the money to get the network and infrastructure stabilized. Spent significant money on disaster recovery and core banking applications. Overall culture was positive and they had very good people on the team.

Cons

The company brought me in to fix a problem at a higher salary than they would normally pay with the intentions of letting me go once the problems were fixed. I found this very dishonest and misleading.

Advice to Management

Be honest and communicate expectations.

"A horrible chance to work at a company afraid of change, growth and hard work"

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President, Training and Development in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Columbia Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A profitable company who will reward you regardless of your actual contribution. They reward anyone who can keep up the glorified mediocrity that keeps the doors open.

Cons

Excessively poor leadership. An HR department that doesn't understand the needs of workers and refuses to act humanely. This company should be embarrassed with the facade they present to the members and potential employees.

Advice to Management

Empty the executive suite and commit to hiring people with business acumen

"Growing Pains"

Former Employee - Member Service Associate in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Member Service Associate in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Columbia Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun, dynamic interview setting. Good benefits. Average pay. Washington has no state income tax.

Cons

Entry-level financial tasks with limited to non-existent advancement opportunities. After my hire, I was told that things may change in two years. The company claimed that the credit union was paperless, progressive, and cutting-edge. None of the above ended up to be true. Antiquated computer equipment, an excessive paper trail (even for a financial institution), and antiquated, ineffective training led to zero confidence in the company within a week after I started. Management never gave me a work schedule, after repeated requests, so I had to guess which days/ times I had to work. Co-workers and peers seemed lost on a daily basis. I was chastised before I was hired because the hr department didn't want to talk to one of my references, and later was singled out and had my training session interrupted because the manager forgot how to process a transaction from the previous day. Your employee photo is sent, company-wide, on your last day of work telling everyone that you have quit. And after we parted ways, the company sent not one but three W-2 forms to let me know that I was absolutely done with the organization.

Advice to Management

Continue to stress the human element of the company, but tighten things up on a branch level. Provide better introductory training tools for sales and referral opportunities. Improve interpersonal communication, and implement some technical measures to make everyday transactions more efficient for MSR's and FSR's. It is nice to know a company's compass; just be sure that you are including your employees in the equation.

"Long hours, short pay"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Columbia Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Health insurance is paid and closed on Sundays

Cons

Long hours, low pay, upper management raping the company with ridiculous salaries.
    A terrible place to work.

Advice to Management

The CEO makes 368k and there are only 18 branches. Really?