Columbia Hospitality Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Good company"

Current Employee - Security Concierge in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Security Concierge in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Columbia Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cultural inclusiveness and flexibility of work

Cons

No overtime, pay rise,

Advice to Management

N/A

Jun 6, 2017 – Office Administrator

Thanks you for your post. We appreciate your positive feedback regarding our inclusive culture and that we are encouraging flexibility in the workplace. Regarding your concerns related to ... More

"Still can't get the bad experience out of my head!"

Former Employee - Executive Chef in Kitsap Lake, WA
    Former Employee - Executive Chef in Kitsap Lake, WA

I worked at Columbia Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free meals, that's just about it.

Cons

This company is run by a bunch of crooks. Their treatment of employees is disgraceful. HR is non-supportive, the whole management has a turn and burn philosophy. I have never seen so much turnover in a company of this status, I can't believe that they keep acquiring properties.

Advice to Management

Get new management.

3. "Server"

Current Employee - Server in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Server in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Columbia Hospitality full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good schedule. Free lunch. Good location

Cons

Bad management
    Managers favor the weakest link to the team

May 2, 2017 – Office Administrator

Thank you for your posting; we appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us! Thanks also for your positive comments about scheduling, family meal and the location of your ... More

4. "Concierge"

Current Employee - Concierge in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Concierge in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Columbia Hospitality full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Terrible place to work at a constant bullying specially their workers. I worked so hard for this company for almost 6 years. Upper management is very rude and disrespectful to staff. I wouldn't recommend anyone working for this company.

Cons

Terrible management and the BOSSES that is never present on property. They let an engineering run the Condo who has no idea and ZERO people skills. Very unorganized and difficult place to work for.

Advice to Management

Their Values means NOTHING .

Sincerity
    Enthusiasm
    Respect
    Creativity
    Honesty
    Accountability. Terrible place to work at a constant bullying specially PEOPLE.

Jun 6, 2017 – Office Administrator

Thank you for your post and your honest feedback. We appreciate that you have been with us for five years, and we are sincerely sorry that we haven’t met your expectations. The concerns you’ve ... More

5. "Hard work, loyalty and sincerity rewarded."

Current Employee - Talent Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Talent Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Columbia Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Columbia Hospitality has created a culture and environment that promotes growth, innovation, and hard work, within its team members. There is this familial environment where the team is nourished and continues to develop new skills. I first began working for this organization as a desk agent and have moved into a human resources role after investing just over two years of my time, loyalty and hard work into my role and this company. The best part about working for CHI is that I see these behaviors continue to be rewarded.

In addition to career growth, CHI spends a lot of time investing into its team on a personal level. They offer a great benefits package and the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) which can provide help with a range of issues from coping with change in the workplace to finding a caregiver.

Columbia also encourages its team members to give back to the community. They have created a program that partners with organizations that change the community around them. These organizations include Camp Corey, Toys for Tots and local food banks.

The list really does go on where the benefits of working with CHI are concerned. From the people we employee to the people we help, I would say we accomplish our goal every day in creating exceptional experiences.

Cons

In my previous role the biggest downfall of the team was our turnover. People in this role develop quickly and tend to move towards bigger and better roles within the industry. Which as far as cons go, i'd say this is a good one to have.

Advice to Management

Continue down this road and the shy is the limit!

Mar 29, 2017 – Office Administrator

Dear “Hard work, loyalty and sincerity rewarded”, Thank you for your post and your generous remarks about our nurturing and powerful service culture and the overall work experience at Columbia ... More

6. "OMG! Living the Values"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Columbia Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Great career advancement and opportunities
    2. Company values are simple, effective and easy to live by
    3. Corporate executives are great mentors and always available to properties within the company, showing face and promoting the values
    4. Unique culture that offers a wide range of brands in their portfolio: golf courses, iconic properties, hotels, conference centers, restaurants/bars, etc.
    5. They actively seek to promote from within and provide the tools and education needed for each team member to be successful.

Cons

Nothing that comes to mind!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

Mar 29, 2017 – Office Administrator

Dear “OMG! Living the Values”, Thanks for your post. We appreciate you taking the time to share your perspectives on your employment experience thus far. Please continue to proactively ... More

7. "A second family that highly values and nurtures their team members!"

Current Employee - Front Desk Supervisor in Snoqualmie, WA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Supervisor in Snoqualmie, WA

I have been working at Columbia Hospitality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The team-friendly/family-like work environment established at each individual property is second to none. Our teams are so successful in large part because we are not solely working for a paycheck. We work hard for each other and celebrate successes collectively. I am convinced that this is simply a product of the exceptional culture implemented by our CEO John Oppenheimer in addition to the dedicated leaders at CHI.
    - Benefits are great and are even made available for entry level positions (depending on work status).
    - Career growth opportunities appear endless! Human Resources does an outstanding job reaching out to their internal customers, giving them the time of day to assess their strengths & weaknesses, learn about their ambitions and career goals, and then leave the ball in their court to speak up about what they believe their next step should be. Most companies seem to stop here, but what separates CHI is that they ensure that you have the proper guidance in getting to where you WANT to be.

Cons

This one appears to be inevitable considering the type of industry we are in, but there seems to be a high turnover rate. This does not necessarily mean team members are flat out quitting, but this could also indicate that there is a lot of growth happening with team members moving up the ladder on to better opportunities within CHI.

Advice to Management

Keep up the high level of recruiting/hiring! In the two CHI properties that I have had the pleasure of working with, I can confidently say that I have developed some remarkable relationships and worked alongside some phenomenal team members who are motivated and driven for success. The work environment is not only the least of my worries, but something I look forward to each and every day when I clock in. Thank you for all the hard work that you do! I would hands-down recommend this company to anyone who is aspiring to grow within the hospitality industry and go far for a marvelous company!

Mar 29, 2017 – Office Administrator

Dear “A second family …”, Thank you for your recent post and your enthusiastic comments about the work environment at our properties. We also appreciate you highlighting our continued investment ... More

"Keeping Up with Growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Columbia Hospitality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is an exciting time to work at a company that is growing quickly and managing more hotels and golf courses, hopefully meaning more career opportunities. The majority of employees are fun, professional people that are very dedicated to their work and inspiring to work with.

Cons

The company is not keeping up with its growth. I work in the Seattle corporate office supporting all of our properties and teams are constantly overworked, underpaid, exhausted and stressed. Our leadership team is focused on business development which is great, but are not engaged in how the current properties or team members are surviving or getting the growing amount of work done. There is a major lack of accountability - the leadership team signs a contract and promises a client we'll get it done no matter what, dumping it into the hands of the people below while they celebrate and move on to the next thing.

Advice to Management

We say we live by our values, and I truly used to believe that and see it reflected every day. The last 6-8 months it has changed, and it's no longer a place that makes decisions driven by these values, just how we can make a buck. To maintain a positive work environment we need to hire more and actively work on supporting team members, not just have the values plastered on a wall. We are also way behind the times in terms of compensation, benefits and perks. We are a hospitality company but only get 2 weeks of PTO and sick leave combined? You would think we would encourage team members to travel with more time off, flexibility to work remote, etc.

Nov 15, 2016 – Office Administrator

Dear Keeping up with growth, Thank you for your recent post! We are pleased you are excited about our company’s progress and that you enjoy working with the majority of your colleagues ... More

"Fantastic Place to Work"

Current Employee - Staff/Senior Accountant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Staff/Senior Accountant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Columbia Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Columbia Hospitality is a place that houses happy and passionate employees. This company promotes a family atmosphere resulting in a wonderful work environment. Every member of my department/team has been employed there for at least 2 years. I find myself being challenged daily, but also a sense of fulfillment contributing to my company. I also get the sense that there is room for growth within the company.

Cons

I haven't experienced too many cons at this point. "On the job" training may be the only thing that I can think of. While I actually prefer to learn this way, I think it would be helpful to spend additional time training for specific aspects of the job (IE - Software, Standard Operating Procedures, etc...).

Sep 8, 2016 – Office Administrator

Thank you for your observations about the fun yet challenging work environment at Columbia Hospitality. We are pleased to know it has been a rewarding professional experience thus far. Also, we ... More

10. "A company committed to learning, growth and their Team!"

Current Employee - Resident Services Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Resident Services Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Columbia Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Columbia Hospitality is an AMAZING place to work. This is a company that cares about every Team Member, not matter their length of employment or position held. They are committed to the growth and development of their employees and are constantly promoting from within. I have had the privilege of working at 2 of the properties and have assisted at a few others. The values and culture of this company are lived every day by the Team Members across all departments and properties.

Cons

I honestly don't have any cons.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your Team Members.

Sep 8, 2016 – Office Administrator

Thank you for your heartfelt enthusiasm for Columbia Hospitality and your fellow team members. We encourage you to continue to share your excitement and insight with all those around you so they ... More