Columbia Law School Reviews | Glassdoor

David M Schizer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Millstein Center RA"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Columbia Law School part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its a great job for a student looking to gain experience in legal and corporate governance research, as well as gain experience working for one of the best and most exciting professors at Columbia Law.

Cons

The hours are not consistent, so if this is your primary source of income it may be taxing. Otherwise, refer to the Pros side.

Advice to Management

Keep up the exciting work, but perhaps work on giving Research Assistants more consistent project assignments and hours.

"Good benefits, okay salaries, and terrible management - your department is everything!"

I worked at Columbia Law School full-time

Pros

A good place to start your career and a good place to finish it. The Columbia Law School brand is great. No matter how many hours and days you waste responding to management's persistent inability to plan, you can flash your Law School business card at networking events and people will perk up. "Oh, Columbia - wow!" If you're considering further education the tuition benefit is nice, but part-time degree offerings are limited and the waiting period is 2 years (vs. 1 year at NYU and other area universities). Also, it's hard to swallow anything cooked up in the Columbia kitchen after you've seen how the sausage is made. The benefits are good, particularly vacation time. Regular, full-time officers start with 23 days and, while you won't be able to take this time in most departments, you can accrue up to 46 days of vacation (23 rolled over and 23 current) that the university will pay out to you when you go. You'll be able to take a nice trip and still have weeks of cushion money to find something better which, trust me, isn't hard to do.

Cons

Management. Particularly the executive director and departmental dean levels of management. Get ready for a case study in professional ineptitude. Senior management are typically attorneys who practiced in the private sector for a few years and then made the move to academia because they wanted work-life balance and/or did not have the interpersonal skills to progress with their former firms. They bring with them the unique bully culture that only works in the private sector law firm world (e.g., no communication whatsoever about a project followed by the telltale, lawyerly question, "Why isn't XYZ done?") and apply it to higher education, where it doesn't work and doesn't belong. If you're a career higher education administrator, it is unlikely that you will progress to the ED or departmental dean level without a J.D. There are many experienced leaders at the Law School who will never get a fair shake because they didn't spend 3 years learning to read and analyze the law, no matter how irrelevant this skill set is to the running of a graduate/professional school. In order to make it at Columbia, it's helpful to accept from day 1 that, unless you graduated from a T14 law program, you are not intelligent and your opinions do not matter. Don't take it too personally.

Advice to Management

Your employees do not dislike you or fear you - they don't respect you. Try out your management methods elsewhere and see how it goes.

3. "Law Student"

I have been working at Columbia Law School full-time

Pros

Great school and good environment.

Cons

Professors are highly intelligent but sometimes too intellectual.

4. "Really fun/smart place to work"

Former Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Columbia Law School part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was a short term research associate. I was lucky to have a Independence in my work, as much responsibility as I wanted, and amazingly fun and smart co-workers.

Cons

This would not be a good job for someone who needs a lot of structure. This was good for me but I could see it as a con for others.

Advice to Management

I have no advice for management. I loved this job. I felt like I learned a lot and got to mingle with some of the smartest minds in the legal field.

5. "Great Development Team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Columbia Law School part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment, friendly co-workers, room for growth and amazing location

Cons

Unorganized managment at the top level

6. "Development Department"

I have been working at Columbia Law School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great University, excellent benefits, smart and supportive colleagues

Cons

There are overlooked opportunities to encourage career development

Advice to Management

Focus on supporting employee growth and development. Nurture entry level staff to create better continuity for the alumni pool.

7. "Great Faculty, Leadership has tunnel vision, poor employee morale"

Pros

The faculty are wonderful and the level of legal scholarship can not be beat.

Cons

The senior leadership was solely consumed with increasing faculty size, without thought to increase the staff which supports them. Development and fundraising was all that mattered when there was a lot of other wonderful and hard working people who deserved some respect.

Advice to Management

get a new dean

8. "A great place to work, learn,and grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Columbia Law School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

excellent benefits, good salaries, and intellectual community

Cons

sometime you have to look outside your department to get promoted

Advice to Management

Continue reinforcing good behavior and celebrating the best of the best.

9. "Great benefits, Poor Management. Who you work for makes all the difference!"

Pros

Great benefits - medical, dental, flex spending, tuition reimbursement. Many wonderful people in the office. Competitive pay.

Cons

Frequent turn around. Poor management - manager would take credit for others' ideas, refused to learn the database which made it difficult on team members, and resented those that wanted to grow/apply for positions within Columbia. Who you work for makes all the difference at CLS. There's quite a bit of favoritism.

10. "A work-study position turned consultancy"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Columbia Law School part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Research projects were interesting and I could work from home. I was passionate about the work had an opportunity to work with professors i respected.

Cons

Management was poor and communication problems occurred frequently. Several people in my position left before I did, which I initially thought was because they were not doing the work at a satisfactory level. Now I suspect that the problem is related to management and not the workers.

Advice to Management

Upper management should hire a project manager instead of employing lots of part time researchers who do not coordinate in order to save everyone time.