Columbia Southern University Reviews | Glassdoor

Columbia Southern University President Robert Mayes
Robert Mayes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • low pay, many students per course (in 5 reviews)

• often work together and influence the work environment (in 5 reviews)

1. "Good Employer With Long-Term Goals"

I have been working at Columbia Southern University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some of the best people I have ever worked with, all highly motivated and intelligent. The company truly cares about its employees and strives to provide the best benefits.

Cons

Company politics sometimes play a role in making work life difficult. Upward mobility within my particular career track is fairly limited.

"Academic Advisor"

Former Employee - Academic Advisor in Orange Beach, AL
    Former Employee - Academic Advisor in Orange Beach, AL

I worked at Columbia Southern University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Clean and professional working environment. Only place for those with degrees in a tourism area. Co workers that are like family. 3 days off at Christmas and Thanksgiving. Flexibility with time off.

Cons

Nepotism, unequal treatment & pay based on "being in" with the family. Very hard to advance without being "in the circle". I have seen many professionals thrown out of "the circle" for disagreeing with the family. Family lives a lavish lifestyle compared to employees and yet claim to be just like family. Most employees have more work experience and education than the owners.

Advice to Management

CSU is sitting on a gold mine if only the Mayes/Cooley family would get out of the business and sell. Stop telling your employees it is not a call center when you treat it like one. Some employees actually value education and don't wish to sell something a prospective student does not need or understand. Stop believing everything you are told by your inner circle. Your inner circle only tells you what you want to hear.

3. "Low pay"

Pros

work from home, this allows managing your time

Cons

low pay, many students per course

4. "Awesome place to work and live"

I have been working at Columbia Southern University full-time

Pros

Good benefits and a great work environment.

Cons

Minimal time-off for new hires

"SACS"

Former Employee - Academic Dean
    Former Employee - Academic Dean

I worked at Columbia Southern University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent Pay, Easy Going, Lots of time off

Cons

Management has no clue what is going on. Very Clicky. Was promising SACS to students since 2009. its 2017, nothing. Last year CSU was considered and attended SACS events, then the process got quiet and all reference of CSU on SACS site disappeared. Employees and students ask about status, mums the word.

Advice to Management

Organize! Get SACS. Get ride of the Cooley Click.

6. "Some Improvement Needed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange Beach, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange Beach, AL

I have been working at Columbia Southern University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

company culture; work at your own pace; time off

Cons

pay rate; inexperienced leadership; low performers rarely get fired

Advice to Management

more leadership training

"Not the best, not the worst"

I worked at Columbia Southern University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best part of CSU are all the benefits (401K, many days off, 90% off tuition). There is a great work-life balance in most departments and leaving early on Fridays is definitely a luxury most don't get.
    You will find some great people here that care about the students and about the company, but I would suggest being cautious.

Cons

No matter what other reviews state, there are MANY people that work here that are related (hence my caution advice above). I personally experienced times when I was ignored for the advice of another family member, which is a huge problem!
    People that know the family or have been in the company the longest have protection. I have seen individuals get bullied and no one will handle the problem employees. Does this happen ALL the time, no - but does it happen more than it should, YES!
    I have seen great employees be fired because they upset someone in upper management. I have seen bad employees get promotions. I loved the departments I worked for and the work I did, but I had a terrible boss who was on the cusp of harassment and I was told multiple times "it couldn't be true" until someone saw it years later. I worked in a department with a bully employee who tried to insult coworkers, tattle, and manipulated. So it might not be the majority but the ones that are bad, are really bad!

Advice to Management

Take your advice of building good employees! You have a lot of talent that you hold back because there is a lack of advancement opportunities so know one wants to lose their job.
    Stop ignoring problems and assume all your employees are whining. Yes, some just think they are entitled - but there are others with actual issues.
    Stop thinking you are better than others. Stop having a management Christmas party during work hours - paying your top earning employees to have a day off is such a waste of funds. If you want to do something then make it after hours or just don't do it!
    Stop thinking people will leave if you don't give them everything they want! CSU wastes more money trying to make people happy and they shouldn't have to.
    Listen to your smart leaders - you have one of the smartest provost's who, with a great team could produce some great academic achievements!

"DONT!"

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor-Glorified Call Center Representative in Orange Beach, AL

I worked at Columbia Southern University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Set schedule and benefits not a lot to be a pro and cons out weigh the pro. Just don't try

Cons

Too much favoritism, hard work is rewarded with more work. Managers that have no idea how to manage. Will work you to death. Only way to survive the sweatshop is to just not care.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to those doing the job and learn how to manage.

"I've had a wonderful experience with CSU overall. There have been ups and downs, as with any place of employment."

I have been working at Columbia Southern University full-time

Pros

While many mention the family culture and think it's all a show, they are very wrong. The owners put their heart and soul into running this organization, only to receive untrue, unfounded and uneducated backlash.

It's unfortunate that those are unable to understand that we are ultimately a business, whose primary objective is to earn a profit. The mission of the university is to improve lives through education, without a question. Now, I'm no genius, but I suspect it would be very difficult to educate without funding. I guess people assume money grows on trees...

It's easy to complain about low pay and then turn around and say that the organization is only concerned with numbers. These numbers are what gain you additional pay... it's simple for me, but I do understand how that many be difficult for others to digest.

Cons

This organization constantly gives and gives, only to receive negative comments and ungratefulness. When the small number of negatives come out, it penalizes everyone.

It must just be today's society. It's obviously a crazy idea to have to WORK to get paid. These "working" conditions are tough too. Man, fun days with free food and paid holidays are just torture. <insert sarcastic eye roll>

Advice to Management

Keep your head held high. It's hard to come into work every day, worrying about motivating those who seem impossible to motivate.

Those restless nights, stemming from all the things you need to do are worth it, even though the difficult employees make it so hard. Never question yourself after making a decision. If employee logs were only made public...

I was raised differently. I was raised to do my best in every situation, regardless of others influence or circumstances. Fault lies within you and the choices you make. You can decide your future.

-Do your damn job and you get paid.
    -Excel at your job and get promoted.

Provide for your family at all costs. It is a job after all. It's not a day at the beach.

Respectfully,

Disappointed

"Admissions"

Pros

Good pay, benefits and co-workers.

Cons

Greed and ignorance run deep in this organization. They fired our very bright, capable, supportive director while enrollments were on the rise. It just hasn't been the same since then. The owners listen to their inner circle of people and think they know what they are talking about. In actuality, they aren't the brightest group and probably accomplish zero while we work hard to make the family richer. They tout a family culture but they don't care about us, which is fine. Just don't act like you do. We see how fake you are.

Advice to Management

Nothing. You are all friends with the family anyway.