Columbia Sportswear Reviews | Glassdoor

Columbia Sportswear Reviews

Updated May 16, 2018

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Columbia Sportswear President, CEO, and Director Columbia Sportswear Company Tim Boyle
Tim Boyle

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • On the down side, there's no work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• No clear path from intern to full-time employee (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Exceptional Company"

I have been working at Columbia Sportswear full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great, active community, modern campus amenities including a gym and bar, top notch benefits and competitive compensation.

Cons

Ma Boyle is getting older. I hope she lives well past her century mark!

2. "Great job!!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Columbia Sportswear part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Perhaps the best management and coworkers I have ever worked with. I enjoy going into work every shift and love that there is always something new to learn.

Cons

The "slow" days can be a bit boring

Advice to Management

keep doing what you're doing

3. "Sales Associate"

I have been working at Columbia Sportswear part-time

Pros

Understanding management who wants to make sure you know what you're doing

Cons

Busy on holidays, everything is always on sale so it's hard to keep track of what and when

4. "Day to Day was Great; But the Company Doesn't Seem to Care about Their Retail Workers"

Former Employee - Floor Supervisor
    Former Employee - Floor Supervisor

I worked at Columbia Sportswear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work load was manageable- not too little to feel like we weren't accomplishing anything but not so much that the job felt overwhelming. As a manager I was not asked to work more than 40 hours per week. If I was willing to relocate there seemed to be some room for growth.

Cons

Retail wages are way too low for both lower level management and associates. The company kept tightening payroll to keep maintain the bottom line if sales weren't increasing the way they wanted, but this meant that we couldn't do essential duties because there was frequently only one manager and one staff person at a time.

When I started there was a generous system of carrots and bonuses but when more store kept earning the benefits they would change the rules making it harder to earn them. It felt really terrible having to tell my store staff that even though they were exceeding expectations, corporate had moved the finish line and now they wouldn't see a benefit.

Advice to Management

It seems really nice working at corporate- they seem to be well cared for. But Columbia does not take care of their retail workers.

Although their retail stores are located at outlets, they need staff that is somewhat knowledgeable about their products. Unfortunately they pay so low that anyone with specialized knowledge wouldn't consider working here.

"Great NW Brand"

I have been working at Columbia Sportswear full-time

Pros

Casual work environment, good room for advancement with the right managers

Cons

Large company that can often times feel like a family business

6. "Very disappointing from someone with much retail background"

I have been working at Columbia Sportswear full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great product, great benefits and discount. Benefits are given to full time employees only but they are decent and the team at my store is mostly great to be around.

Cons

Very disappointed with store manager, they do not make quick effective decisions and they are inhibited by upper management. This company doesn’t seem to understand that money needs to be spent at the store level to treat the team well and pay well in order to expect such a big return.

Advice to Management

Upper management continues to make cuts at the store level even though there seems to be no need since the company is not struggling to the degree to which cuts are being made. We, at the store level, need to get enough hours and make enough money to survive in order to give the level of work expected of us. Please remember that we have bills to pay too and need to keep food on the table. In recent months, cuts to hours continue at an alarming rate and I hope this stops very soon because I like my job and want to stay with this company but with no money to pay my bills, I will be forced to move on. I am assuming I can’t be the only employee from the retail stores struggling with the large amount of hours being cut for a truly unknown reason.

7. "working for the Columbia Employee Store"

Pros

The people were very nice

Cons

The working times were too long

Advice to Management

N/A

8. "Bye to the old CSC"

I worked at Columbia Sportswear full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Good health insurance

Cons

The management is corrupt. The office politics have gotten out of control. If you do anything but smile and nod - you’re out. I have a hard time believing that the Ma Boyle would want her company ran that way.. its sad. They have lost a lot of amazing talent through recent lay offs and many people who’s skill set and worth ethic are lacking, still have their jobs.

Advice to Management

Find your moral compas and ask yourself if you’re doing the right thing. Stop playing the game and actually lead, inspire and manage!

9. "Better than most retail environments"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I have been working at Columbia Sportswear part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good part-time benefits, positive work environment, great discounts, understanding and competent management

Cons

High employee turnover, low commission, disengaged upper management

Advice to Management

up the commission rate for short periods throughout the year to better engage lower-level employees in sales.

"Benefits and Lifestyle are great, but bureaucracy is on par with a major corporation"

I have been working at Columbia Sportswear full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ Benefits are great
    + PTO and paid holidays lead to over a month of paid leave
    + People are almost all great
    +Focus on lifestyle leads to a

Cons

- Hard to get anything done or changed because you have to go through so many layers of management
    - Difficult to streamline best practices on the sales teams because people are placed all over the country and all markets are different

Advice to Management

Improve communication between departments and teams because people feel unsupported and in the dark about a lot of initiatives and projects