Columbia Sussex Reviews | Glassdoor

2.3
Columbia Sussex President and CEO Bill Yung III
Bill Yung III

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "there are no pros if you are coming from Marriott" (in 7 reviews)

• "Get to work with some great people" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work-life balance is not a thing in this company they just don't seem to care" (in 8 reviews)

• "Low pay with managers who lie and tell you what you want to hear with no intention of following through" (in 12 reviews)

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Bartender in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Current Employee - Bartender in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have been working at Columbia Sussex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Clean, organized place to work. Benefits are awesome, especially the hotel room discounts. Management is helpful and willing to listen to ideas and suggestions.

Cons

Changing schedule, weekends and holidays. Covering for call-ins.

2. "good company to work for"

Current Employee - Server/Waiter in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Server/Waiter in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Columbia Sussex part-time (More than a year)

Pros

competitive pay for servers, decent benefits

Cons

they care much more about full time employees than part time, supervisors are often uncaring about employee needs

Advice to Management

Supervisors should be paid more so that they care more about their jobs. and employees should be held more accountable

"Front desk supervisor"

Pros

Most of the staff was nice and friendly.

Cons

The general manager was a joke. He would talk poorly about it staff in front of others, but then put on a smile when he would see you. He yelled at his managers constantly, was never around when you had a guest that needed him, and woukd take a guests sude when they threatened to kill a staff member for the balcony having water on it. He also told me I couldn't take time off for my wedding, when I put the time off 5 months in advance.
    In return, the training that was provided was not good training. Luckily, I had 5 years experience and was able to do this job with little training. I got promoted after 2 months of working; however, did not get a pay raise and would work 12-16 hour days as other employees would call out and I had to cover.
    The hotel in general was also awful, everything was breaking and we would charge 4 star prices for a 2 star place.
    I see potential in this property, but I think they need a transformation in management before it gets better.

4. "You get to know all kinds of people."

Former Employee - Attendant in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Attendant in Columbia, SC

I worked at Columbia Sussex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company 401k PTO/VAC time, health insurance (optional)

Cons

Long hours during busy season. High turnover rate, not enough money for hard labor.

Advice to Management

Consider cash bonuses for the low line workers. Acknowledge employees for good work.

"If you are looking for opportunity for any growth then this is not the company for you."

I worked at Columbia Sussex full-time

Pros

Developed good relationships with co-workers

Cons

Company does not believe in performance reviews and therefore does not believe in cost of living or performance raises. This a privately held company that is not employee friendly.

"Not worth the time"

I worked at Columbia Sussex full-time

Pros

Not many to speak of. Can make good money and interesting benefits.

Cons

Starting salaries are on the low end for most positions. Depending upon your level there can be some good monetary benefits. But for the most part you'll probably never see all the money that they promised you at the beginning. Salary managers are told that they will work five-and-a-half shifts a week. They end up usually working a full six covering 12 to 14 hours a day. They can also be used as labor savers instead of being allowed to actually manage. There are constant understaffing issues to the point where most hourly employees are either being called in or asked to work 6 days a week. And most of the time there aren't even enough people to cover manager shifts. Work-life balance is not a thing in this company they just don't seem to care. Off and days off that are asked for months in advance are ignored schedules are off and put out late.

7. "Horrible Franchise"

Former Employee - Banquet Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Banquet Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Columbia Sussex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When requesting a day off of work, I received it.

Cons

Upper Management does not care about the employees or other management. Everyone is out for themselves.

Advice to Management

Take care of your staff and they will take care of the business.

"Salaried Manager Overview"

I have been working at Columbia Sussex full-time

Pros

Columbia Sussex is great at hiring from within, and will promote you the opportunity is there / management likes you. Traveling is a possibility, as the company is accumulating more hotels.

Cons

Management does not care about work life balance, and will try to use you up to their fullest extent. Prepare to be bullied if you speak up about anything negative involving upper management.

Advice to Management

It is easier to make your employees happy than to hire new ones. Gratitude for great employees goes a long way.

"A great place to be perpetually underpaid and undervalued!"

Former Employee - Food and Beverage
    Former Employee - Food and Beverage

I worked at Columbia Sussex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is some flexibility with scheduling. That and a few coworkers are all that kept me there.

Cons

Where do I start? You may think you'll be earning a competitive market rate working under a big name hotel, but this franchise pays well below what you could get down the street (without the headache). The profit margin is the sole motivator for this company's business decisions; their properties are poorly maintained, their staff is underpaid and mistreated, and the GM at my property ran the place like a tyrant. Anyone that is comfortable making their staff cry and puts barriers in the way of employees having access to human resources to report him is not fit to run a hotel. You end up losing money in overhead and poor guest experience when your staff's morale is so low.

Advice to Management

Honestly, I don't know how you can fix this mess you've made outside of completely cleaning house and restructuring. Everyone from the GMs to Yung seems intent on running the business into the ground via mismanagement.

10. "Desk Clerk"

I have been working at Columbia Sussex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-Workers, Scheduling flexibility, competitive wage

Cons

Driving distance from my home