Columbia Technology Corp Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Recruiter"

Current Employee - IT Recruiter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - IT Recruiter in New York, NY

I have been working at Columbia Technology Corp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work! Management is highly experienced and they are committed to your success. This firm has been in business for over 20 years and this is a testament to their amazing track record. David Vitiello is not anything like what the other reviews have claimed. He's passionate and truly cares about the people who work for him. This is an excellent place to grow your career if you're serious about being the best in this field.

Cons

Management has very high performance expectations.

Advice to Management

Provide more performance reviews.

2. "Recruiter"

I worked at Columbia Technology Corp full-time

Pros

I can't think of one positive thing unless you like having no control or say

Cons

It's owned 100% by one man. He still recruits and is in charge of all your accounts, if you even have any accounts. Says he works with all these high up people at big banks but hearing him on calls with them they all are annoyed. None of them hire from him. There were two ither females there along with myself and they were basically his assistant. Very degrading and came off weird.

There's no money to be made here because he doesn't even know the technology and there is no selling. It's hoping and cross your fingers.

Very glad I got out sooner than later because there are so many better jobs out there for a junior and senior person.

Advice to Management

Respect others and you'll be respected

"Terrible way to start your recruiting career"

I worked at Columbia Technology Corp full-time

Pros

It's in the financial district, which is pretty impressive when you tell people that's where you work. Clients are big banks. Other than that, I honestly could not think of any useful pros for working here.

Cons

As mentioned in previous real posts (real, as in not the obviously fake ones done by the owner where it claims it's the best company in the world), it's a micro-managing hole in a wall agency. You would think with such a small team you would realize that yelling all day to everyone won't help retain your employees. Even if you work incredibly hard for him, work day and night and get on his good side, he will still claim your placement if you make one and throw you under the bus any chance he gets. Despite him being rude, immature, an obvious liar and a slight sociopath, he keeps managing to replace recruiters with new ones, usually kids fresh out of college who get paid peanuts to cold call for hours and scrap Dice.com for crappy resumes. Don't make that mistake, if you want a promising career in recruiting, do not start here.

Advice to Management

Get out of the recruiting business already. You will never make the money you desperately want with the way you treat human beings now. Be a normal, honest human being that doesn't put cameras on all of your employees.

"Difficult to work with owner"

Former Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY

I worked at Columbia Technology Corp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some decent banking clients. All fulltime

Cons

Much of the work is micromanaged by the owner/ceo. He is obsessive about minor details. There is no trust in the organization due to all the cameras above every desk. All your calls, emails and personal space is monitored. Owner has occasionally followed people into the bathroom to finish speaking. Limited career opportunity. Limited earning potential since All clients are "known" to him and are his. limited earning potential due to limited positions not from VMS portal. Conducts daily "progress" meetings in which he berates employees.

Advice to Management

Teach, grow and forgive. Instead of creating hostility, fear, and malice in a small 3 person operation.

"Great Shop"

Current Employee - Financial IT Recruiter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Financial IT Recruiter in New York, NY

I have been working at Columbia Technology Corp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You learn a whole bunch and are given great opportunities to make money. Hard work pays off here.

Cons

Smaller office than last but still a great environment and great co-workers.

"Learned a lot, loved the manager who let you do things and support you"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Small yet supportive environment. Most tools needed for doing my job (recruiting) were provided. Tricks and tips on how to recruit were invaluable, provided by the CEO/president. Supply of available jobs from top clients to work with had never run out. This was simply amazing. My success was up to me and I felt that I was in control of my career.

Cons

The market relied heavily on the market condition. Hiring someone was not easy and it took a long time. As long as you are patient enough, you would do well. Working here is like running a business of my own with some cushion. I feel working here has much more pressure than working as a regular salary man.

Advice to Management

technology coaching is much needed. Technology changes all the time and fast, especially today.

"Stay away from this company!!!!!"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in New York, NY

Pros

Vitiello is run a sham of a company. He claims to do business for over 17 years but he runs the company as a husband and wife operation with a couple of interns. He promises you have a great future when in fact is a trap that sucks the soul out of you.I often wonder about him speciallyduring his vacant stares and lapses of memory. This is a high pressure no money trap
    that all of you you stay away from.He has a few people that are cool and his wife is nice but the man is out of control screaming and yelling all the time. His company is now moved to a hole in the way.. more like a boiler room operation. Terrible place...

Cons

Nice interns and wife but the environment is terrible. Stay away if you want to be sane~~and remember no money no future here~~~~

Advice to Management

Stop the carrot and the stick routine... its old and useless....CLOSE SHOP!!!

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter

I have been working at Columbia Technology Corp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Started working here straight out of school and I've been given the opportunity to learn everything about staffing. The owner of the company and managers entrust their recruiters with a lot of responsibility and give them a lot of freedom to speak to candidates and find their own strengths. Company has a long list of clients, tons of roles to work on, and no restrictions on who can work on which positions. Hard work and commitment are definitely rewarded.

Cons

The environment can be high pressure and fast paced at times, but I never thought of this is a con.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

9. "Great Opportunity, Learning a Lot"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in New York, NY

Pros

A great chance to learn a lot about technical recruiting from the ground up as well as learn about investment banking. I enjoy being part of the tight-knit team of recruiters and felt very welcomed from the minute I walked in. David is a great mentor and so are the other recruiters.

The opportunity here is phenomenal as well simply because of all the groundwork put in previously. The company has a great relationship with nearly every major investment bank in NYC area so there's never any shortage of roles to recruit for.

Cons

It's a challenging environment to get into, but if you keep it up the rewards are absolutely worth it.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow and build. It's a great office and a great career opportunity.

"Learned a lot, couldn't be happier to leave"

Former Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY

I worked at Columbia Technology Corp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great group of employees that displayed an incredible amount of patience with the owner. Pretty good client list. Office has an awesome view and luckily the owner couldn't hire enough people to fill more than 20% of the desks so it was very spacious!

Cons

Daily "You Suck Meetings" where the owner let's us know how much we suck as recruiters.
    Owner monitors personal communications of employees, i.e. reads your gmail account if you open it on your work computer. He has one security camera per employee to keep tabs while sitting at home until 11:30 AM daily. Maintains a personal and vigorous vendetta against any and every employee that leaves. And this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Advice to Management

Don't even know where to start...