Columbus McKinnon Reviews

Updated May 21, 2020

3.1
Pros
  • "Good people that are the worker bees (although few are left)(in 12 reviews)

• "Great Management Team, dependable work, good pay and benefits(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "I speak mostly of our upper management when I speak of the problems we face because our middle management staff MUST do as they are micro managed to do(in 5 reviews)

• "Upper management hasn't listened to anyone on the floor for years(in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"An industrial manufacturing company on the move"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Strategist in Getzville, NY

I have been working at Columbus McKinnon full-time for less than a year

Pros

With a history spanning over 150 years, Columbus McKinnon is a global company at the forefront of innovation in lifting and smart motion control technology. Some of the most iconic products in Columbus McKinnon's portfolio like the CM Cyclone (1904) and CM Lodestar (1955) have been around for decades and have set the industry standard for overhead lifting. Made up of a family of brands including STAHL CraneSystems, Magnetek, Duff-Norton, Chester Hoist, Little Mule, and more, Columbus McKinnon is positioned to dominate the smart motion control industry. Coming from a small business background, it's interesting and challenging to work within a company of this scale, with so many brands, and with teams around the world. Columbus McKinnon continues to build upon its brand legacy as a leader in innovation with the world’s first HMI-certified ratchet lever hoist, CM Smart ID radio frequency identification, and CM Hi-Tech automation technology. The Magnetek brand is pioneering the use of variable frequency and wireless crane controls with a focus on automation. STAHL CraneSystems and Chester Hoist are leaders in custom, complex, and explosion-proof material handling products. Safety is at the forefront of everything at Columbus McKinnon. Products are designed with safety in mind for workers across a broad spectrum of industries. The professional training team at Columbus McKinnon is comprised of a group of individuals with very diverse backgrounds and a great deal of experience, several of which are members and leaders of industry and safety organizations. CMCO trainers have no sales goals or directives, they are entirely dedicated to delivering the highest quality training possible to promote safe use of products. In my experience, across all departments, Columbus McKinnon employees are smart, talented, driven, and personable. Columbus McKinnon is guided by a customer-centric mission, vision, and values, raising expectations for how the business should operate and driving value to its stakeholders. These include being easy to do business with, delivering on their commitments, thinking differently, acting with integrity, and winning as a team. They are currently working on mentorship programs, women's leadership initiatives, and career growth paths for interested employees.

Cons

Columbus McKinnon is working with some dated internal systems and is in the process of adopting more efficient digital tools. The recently launched product parts selector tool and custom product configurator offer simplified options for customers while the company is heavily investing in marketing technologies and customer service/sales tools to streamline the customer experience. The industry is very behind in modern marketing strategy and Columbus McKinnon is heavily investing in marketing to be among the first in the industry to catch up.

Columbus McKinnon2020-02-14

"EE"

Current Employee - Engineer in Menomonee Falls, WI

I have been working at Columbus McKinnon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great friendly Environment to work in.

Cons

Not much opportunity for growth

Columbus McKinnon2019-06-05

June 6, 2019Manager, Talent Acquisition & Talent Management

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. Our engineers partner closely with other functions (e.g., Sales, Marketing, Operations), and develop strong relationships and expertise through these interactions. As a result, it’s not uncommon for engineers to take their career path in very different directions. In addition, we recognize the need to articulate a more formalized career path for engineering talent and are developing a ‘technical’ career path. More to come later this fiscal year.

3. "Going downhill fast!"

2.0
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Getzville, NY

I worked at Columbus McKinnon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good People to work with. There are really very few Pros that can be listed.

Cons

In the last three years the company has seen record breaking profits. Which is good for senior management as their bonuses have increased substantially. The Former CEO was always quick to point out that Management was making more money. However the employees who actually did the work seen little increase nor received much in the way of recognition for their work. Nowhere is this more prevalent than the Customer Service group. Since the new director started, he customer service team experienced unprecedented turnover as older experienced employees (i.e. higher paid) were pushed out and replaced with interns and part time employees. Now with the Covid-19 Quarantine, the already overworked Customer Service team experience a reduction or workforce of about 25%. Once the quarantine is over and customers are back to work, there will be insufficient staffing to provide good customer service. Furthermore, there is little to no opportunity for advancement at CM. The only promotions are the same people over and over again, with little to no attention paid to developing other employees.

Columbus McKinnon2020-05-21
  4. "Under new managment"

Former Employee - EHS Manager in Wadesboro, NC

I worked at Columbus McKinnon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people on the floor level

Cons

New management at all levels wants to bring in their folks. Complain about indirect time being to high but hire director after director

Columbus McKinnon2020-04-01
  5. "Okay Company"

I have been working at Columbus McKinnon full-time

Pros

- People are friendly

Cons

- lack of opportunities

Columbus McKinnon2020-02-15
  6. "My Opinion of CM"

Former Employee - CNC Machinist in Damascus, VA

I worked at Columbus McKinnon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Seeing the completed chain hoists , that the employees produced

Cons

Sometimes the hours would wear you down

Columbus McKinnon2020-01-05
  7. "Director of Development, Material Handling"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Columbus McKinnon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Growth mindset throughout the organization with customer focus

Cons

Growing pains with global organization, working to be better than our competition

Columbus McKinnon2019-10-26
  8. "Great Company Culture, lots of perks"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Getzville, NY

I have been working at Columbus McKinnon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Culture: Everyone is friendly, including top management/leadership. The CEO talks to everyone in the company on a regular basis. Good work life balance. CMCO gives a lot to charities which I like. Perks: Brand new vending systems with fresh food brought daily, building is new and really nice, everyone has powered stand/sit desks, good 401k matching and benefits, tuition reimbursement Lots of activities: Wellness Wednesday, 50/50 Raffles, Ride for Roswell, holiday parties, 'Weenie Wednesday' cookouts in the summer, Buffalo Bisons games, basket raffles, etc.

Cons

Can't really think of any at the moment, I genuinely enjoy coming to work every day.

Columbus McKinnon2019-06-10

June 18, 2019Manager, Talent Acquisition & Talent Management

Thank you for taking your time to provide feedback. It is always great to hear positive feedback about our culture and the many perks we offer at Columbus McKinnon. We continue to look for creative ways to make our culture best in class so please share ideas as you have them.

"Awful company"

1.0
    Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Amherst, NY

I worked at Columbus McKinnon full-time for more than a year

Pros

The "Pros' are the workers. That's it. The below review that says the CEO talks to everyone? That's wrong....unless you sit outside his office where he passes you as he walks by. Oh yeah, they got a new vending system. Yay. HR solicits reviews from the new hires and interns....before they've really had time to see the true CM, so dont believe half of what they say.

Cons

The management. Corporate tells them what to think and say. They don't care about the people under them. You don't matter.

Columbus McKinnon2019-07-08

July 16, 2019Manager, Talent Acquisition & Talent Management

Thank you for your time to provide feedback. We are continuously looking for ways to increase employee engagement and exposure to the CEO. We do ask new employees to share their experiences and will continue with this strategy to gather valuable feedback. We are sorry to hear about your view of management as we encourage employees to share their opinions and ideas.

10. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Columbus McKinnon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Caring people who want the business to succeed. Good pay. Can grow if you have initiative. Everyone works hard at this company so a strong work ethic is required.

Cons

Benefits could be better. (vacation/sick time). Too much gossip and not enough facts happening so more communication between mgmt and employees.

Columbus McKinnon2019-04-25

May 2, 2019Manager, Talent Acquisition & Talent Management

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. It is great to hear your opinion on our career growth opportunities and the hard work performed by all associates. We continuously review our vacation and sick policies to ensure we are competitive and we will continue to do this moving forward.

Found 90 reviews