KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Columbus McKinnon

Engaged Employer

Columbus McKinnon

Add a Review

Columbus McKinnon Employee Reviews about "middle management"

Updated Oct 21, 2018

2.8
Columbus McKinnon President and Chief Executive Officer David J. Wilson
David J. Wilson
Pros
  • "Good people that are the worker bees (although few are left)(in 12 reviews)

• "Good place to work with good pay(in 8 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Upper management hasn't listened to anyone on the floor for years(in 5 reviews)

• "I speak mostly of our upper management when I speak of the problems we face because our middle management staff MUST do as they are micro managed to do(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "middle management"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Too many Directors, no direction

Oct 7, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Money and benefits are good. Location and facility is convenient and well maintained. Technology is good and improving. Good people to work with that care about the company.

Cons

Too many directors with big egos that treat middle management poorly and in a disrespectful manner. Company direction changes often. Poor implementation planning for plant divestitures and or acquisitions. Long hours

8 people found this review helpful
    2. 2.0
      Current Employee

A Company Run on Politics

Oct 21, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

A lot of people are great to work with. Many opportunities to give back to the community. With new CEO there is a clear direction for the company.

Cons

No opportunities for advancement unless some quits or is fired. There is also no development process to help employees get more experience and grow in their careers. Politics are rampant at the executive and middle management levels. If you don't feed into the game, you can't become a favorite and advance, even if you're more skilled than others. Employees who demonstrate what others think are negative qualities are often praised for them.

6 people found this review helpful
    3. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Complete lack of credible management

Aug 28, 2014 - MACHINE FLOOR in Chattanooga, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent pay potential There are no other viable reasons to work for this company.

Cons

Carousel of management leads to carousel of policies All promotions are contingent to relation to a handful of people Lack of scheduling capabilities lead to extensive overtime for hourly employees Middle management is filled with deceit and blame without ever providing constructive thoughts or solutions No reward for hard work, high production rates, low scrap, or advanced education Management is allowed to mistreat employees verbally Complete lack of professionalism

4 people found this review helpful
    4. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

management is the problem!!!!!!!!!

Jun 21, 2015 - Anonymous in Buffalo, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good people except for mangement. Pay is slightly above average, location is ok, benefits ok, nice that you can roll your vacation from year to year.

Cons

Management......upper management, middle management. They ALL micro-management and treat employees like children. Like we are incapable of intelligent thoughts. They have no idea what our jobs consist of yet try to tell us the best way to do them. Pathetic excuses for human beings. They should all be fired....wipe the slate clean and start again.

7 people found this review helpful
    5. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Used to be a GREAT, secure company to work for, but no longer is.

Jun 30, 2015 - Shop Floor Employee in Lisbon, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay for area, most workers are great to work with and they care about their jobs. Close and convenient from my home.

Cons

As a long time employee(over 20 years) I can recall when we had KNOWLEDGEABLE management who actually understood our product and how to make it. We now have a bunch of "numbers people" running our company into the ground. The top 15 shop employees have over 670 combined years of experience vs. less than 20 combined years in our management staff. You would think they might tap into the wealth of knowledge on the floor but they're too arrogant to do so. They have created "work instructions" for each and every job because they're clueless as to what our jobs consist of. We have to fill out daily checklists so that they can look at them and make themselves think all is well. I speak mostly of our upper management when I speak of the problems we face because our middle management staff MUST do as they are micro managed to do. Our executive staff refuses to hear the real problems and keep their heads in the sand when told where the problem is. Upper management is unreasonable and refuses to address the root cause of the problems. After all they can't FIRE themselves. It's very sad as a long time employee to see our company fall apart and lose customers. This is MY JOB and I CARE ABOUT IT!! This is how I pay my bills and eat!! I wish someone at the top would take our concerns seriously and quit passing the buck onto everyone else but themselves so I can retire from here. It's such a helpless feeling to know there is NOBODY willing to help.

6 people found this review helpful