Column Technologies, Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

Column Technologies, Inc. Reviews

1.0
Timothy Yario

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • you learn a lot technically because you troubleshoot many issues across multiple combinations of environments and versions (in 4 reviews)

• Very friendly work environment, great learning opportunities (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management is small, tight group of old friends and family who have no business being in management and would not survive at a public corporation (in 4 reviews)

• Very high school and emotionally driven (in 2 reviews)

"Positive reviews are fictional"

I worked at Column Technologies, Inc. (More than 3 years)

Pros

Support for technical training on BMC Software products and ITIL certification is strong. There are many opportunities to expand your technical skills.

Cons

Column is the definition of a unhealthy workplace. The different management styles of the two leaders (one passive-aggressive, the other simply aggressive) make this a tense, very difficult place to work. Screaming matches are a regular occurrence, and sales staff are often subject to layoffs if they do not produce immediately. Since I can't imagine anyone other than the owners' family leaving a positive review, I'm certain the other posters are correct and the positive reviews here are fictional.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees and listen to their advice. Don't assume you are always correct, and honor your employees by showing them common courtesies such as a culture that rewards collaboration rather than conflict. Look for ways to expand your leadership team beyond the claquers.

"Stay Away"

I worked at Column Technologies, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

WHen they on board you star and moon will be shown and the groth path will be billion $ company within a year

Cons

They hire people on the basis of expectaion and then fire it within weeks if nothing turns out . mIcro management prevails at every level. no clear growth path

Advice to Management

you should have clearly defined growth plan

""Software Engineer""

Current Employee - Software Engineer (Remedy) in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer (Remedy) in New York, NY

I have been working at Column Technologies, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good health benefits. Nice office environment.

Cons

No real software development, mostly setting up remedy. Alot of traveling. No room for movement in the company.

Advice to Management

Be forward about the traveling, light travel doesn't entail being out of the state 3 weeks of the month.

"If you can survive here, you'll thrive elsewhere"

Former Employee - Remedy Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Remedy Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Column Technologies, Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

BMC provided training! From day one you'll be required to pass and maintain certifications. Column will pay for all of these trainings, as long as you fulfill a two year contract with them. I doubt these trainings cost Column anything since they are BMC's global partner.

Once you've received your certifications and customers are happy with your work, you'll have no trouble finding better employment and more compensation elsewhere.

Cons

Management is psychotic! Team leads and upper management do not lead or manage, they shout, berate and belittle employees on a daily basis. Although your customers will love and appreciate your hard work, Column will attempt to minimize your role and take recognition for your work.

Once you leave the company you open yourself to a litany of backstabbing and attempts to defile your character. Trust is not a word that is used at Column.

You'll definitely need antidepressants if you stay with this company too long.

Advice to Management

Treat ALL employees as you would like to be treated. The "do as I say, not as I do", management style is in full effect here. Hold all of your employees to the same standard and treat them as equals. Try not hiring your family and friends as management, you're not good at it.

"Many responsibility with not enough pay"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Lombard, IL
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Lombard, IL

I have been working at Column Technologies, Inc. full-time

Pros

Able to work here with a H-1B. Pay is better than used to.

Cons

I work harder than my US colleagues but money is less than they have. No room for promotion. I have been a team lead for years but there is no room for growing. Team lead is just a title to keep us here longer.

Advice to Management

Treat employees more fair. Pay for consultant should be more than non-consultant at other companies.

"Positive reviews for this company are totally false"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lombard, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lombard, IL

I have been working at Column Technologies, Inc. full-time

Pros

No good reason to work at Column unless you are currently out of work.

Cons

Most of the managers at Column are incompetent and rude. The worst is one upper manager who is a friend of the owner and hated by most of the employees at Column. I was also told the owner of the company was not happy about all the bad reviews on this website and instructed the marketing team to post positive reviews.

Column Technologies, Inc. Response

Jun 12, 2015 – Director of Marketing

As the marketing director for almost 10 years, I disagree with the statement made that the positive reviews for the company are false. A vast majority of employees have tenure averaging 6+ years and... More

"Don"

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Lombard, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Lombard, IL

I worked at Column Technologies, Inc. (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice offices. a few nice people.

Cons

Very close knit family business

"Horrible company and disrespectful management"

Former Employee - Engineering in Itasca, IL
    Former Employee - Engineering in Itasca, IL

I worked at Column Technologies, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No Pros working for this company whatsoever, unless if you have no one else to hire you.

Cons

The most disrespectful management I have ever dealt with. No professionalism and the CEO, who has NO IDEA of what goes inside his company treats people like they are his doormat. Zero integrity and these people think we still live in the slave age.

Advice to Management

Change career

"Psycho Technologies Inc."

Current Employee - Help Desk in Lombard, IL
    Current Employee - Help Desk in Lombard, IL

I have been working at Column Technologies, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's no pros here at this company.

Cons

You will be make a huge mistake if you want to put the cloud keyword with Column Technologies Inc. If you have a choice between 2 jobs, run very fast from this company. This place has a high turnover rate and the CEO has knowledge of this and encourages it.

Advice to Management

Get a psychiatrist, find another job in another company overseas, or I don't think you would like some of the others.

"I was hired in April 2013 and lost my job in July 2013 due to lack of training for products I was supposed to support."

Current Employee - Remedy Software Developer in Lombard, IL
    Current Employee - Remedy Software Developer in Lombard, IL

I have been working at Column Technologies, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The position was close to home making the commute very easy

Cons

Management does little to educate the employee

Advice to Management

Get a clue about how to properly train your employees