Column5 Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

"Great experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Column5 Consulting full-time

Pros

I had the opportunity to work with some of the best consultants in the BPC space. Learned a ton from leadership and other consultants. C5 promoted a very collaborative working environment with other team members.

Cons

The pay structure for consultants can be stressful. Pay is on par with other consulting firms but the commission structure isn't enjoyable when billable hours aren't available.

"The Sun has set."

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Column5 Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

At one point had the best BPC Consultants in the US. Product training for older products is quite excellent. Project Managment is good.

Cons

Leadership is lacking in the C suite. Company promises things (like benefits) that never materialize. Failed oversea ventures hurt the company when focusing on the US more would have helped. Wikipedia the definition of the 5th Column. Why would someone name their company like that?

Advice to Management

React better to what SAP is doing in the partner space. make your pre-sales actually travel like normal; invest in sales and sell the company before the CEO drives it totally into the dirt.

"No much left"

Former Employee - Consultant in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Column5 Consulting full-time

Pros

Training for Microsoft platform was good. Project Management was solid. Had some of the top consultants at one point.

Cons

CEO failed in several overseas expansions not fully understanding the complexity of international business. Toxic leadership environment with in-fighting among disparate departments.

Advice to Management

Sell before its too late. Do not try to be a product company. Treat employees with respect.

"Person That Responded To These Ultimately Left Too!"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Column5 Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Legends in their own minds and certainly SAP driven, Column5 and specifically CEO David Den Boer is the pinnacle of expansion.

Cons

What does it say when the person that is your head of marketing and primary responded to these (and other) websites ultimately leaves also. Time for a reality check with this organization. They are not organized and prioritize earnings above people.

Advice to Management

A heart is better than pure profit. We are not robots to work endlessly until we break and then just scootch in someone to replace us. We are not machines that you can continue to punctuate negativity and we will not notice or care. Your company lacks sympathy or empathy. I was afraid to take a break or leave work ON TIME because I got yelled at twice! I wish there was a 0 for cultures or values.

"Know what to expect"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Column5 Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Worked alongside some incredibly talented people
    - Learned a lot because the back office was pretty understaffed at the time

Cons

- While I was there, there was essentially no company culture. Company meetings were far and few between, events or activities only took place if remote employees were visiting HQ.
    - There were many SPOFs. Because of this, you were expected to work if you were on vacation, and it caused a lot of issues when someone left the company, which was often.

Advice to Management

It's been awhile, but I hope that the company is successful. I felt strongly that the team at HQ was not as valued as the consultants, so I hope that has turned around.

"If you have the passion Column5 gives you a chance to be a star."

Former Employee - Not Sales or Consultant in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Not Sales or Consultant in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Column5 Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exceptional training on SAP EPM. You can benefit from hundreds of collective hours of insider type training that you would never get from a general EPM type class or webinar.

Highly unique organization model allows for easy and sometimes rapid transfer from job sites.

Passionate C-Level that encourages you to constantly improve and will be well rewarded for it.

You could be extremely successful if you focus on your tasks and clients.

Promote from within the SAP EPM community so everyone is an expert level or higher. This is not a novice type organization

Cons

From the very moment you begin work until the very moment you leave your brain is always on. This is not necessarily a negative but it is a major requirement to work at Column5.

If you work in their main HQ in Scottsdale do not anticipate a 'lunch break' as everyone from the CEO to IT to Accounting eats at their desk. I found this particularly difficult to deal with since there is no break unless you smoke. It is just a constant thumping all day.

HQ management requires perfection. This is not a career for the weak or slow. You will get run over quickly and there are always more people willing to take your place.

Do not expect a pat on the back. It is more likely you will get told what you did wrong than what you did right. If you dislike stress than do not work at Column5.

Unless you are a C-Level do not anticipate that your opinions/suggestions will be listened to let alone be implemented. Your job is to make them look better to the clients and SAP, not for you to grow in their company. Always remember you are an employee not a stakeholder. Regardless of whether it is your client or your project, you exist for them.

Be extremely careful what you are signing up to do. Make sure your job duties and job expectations match. Don't sign anything that includes a broad overview of duties.

This organization does not encourage inter-office connections. While they do cupcakes for birthdays it is a rarity that anyone will ask about your time off work, your family, your dog or any personal aspect of your life. There is no "Hey did you see that show last night?". When you are on their clock it is 100% or nothing.

A consultant came into town and spent 2 nights in his hotel room doing absolutely nothing because no one said "hey I know you are new in town, you want to get a drink". If you seek this level of personal attention this organization is not for you.

Advice to Management

I am not anti-Column5 at all. You are the best at what you do. Sometimes you forget that the employees/consultants make you the best. From C-Level down there is passion beyond anything I have known. A pat on the back goes a long way toward employee satisfaction. Being told how wrong I was over and over and over just made me not want to be there anymore. I could have been at Column5 permanently if I wasnt so demoralized about going to work every day. It is a real shame when some management focuses so heavily on their career they forget that other people have lives. Take off the blinders and be just a little bit more friendly and watch people give you another gear of energy without resentment.

Column5 Consulting Response

Nov 7, 2013 – Director

Thank you for posting your review. You do make some valid points. Column5’s leadership and employees are a very passionate group with high expectations. It is that passion, in addition to our ... More

"Don't believe the disgruntled former employees, great place to work"

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Column5 Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are a hard worker and willing to learn, you can be very successful there. The pay is great and there are many opportunities to learn new skills. Management does a great job of informing every one of the go forward plan and what is happening now. The people that don’t pull their own weight are let go unlike other places like SAP where if you can’t do the job, you can hide.

Cons

Not many CONS unless you’re a slacker and can’t pull your own weight.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, and don't listen to the disgruntled employees it is a great place to work.

"The best all around EPM consulting company"

Current Employee - Consultant in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Consultant in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Column5 Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Column5 makes investments in EPM and SAP software-based solutions in order to enhance and bridge gaps that add value to each implementation. The company is still relatively small, and leadership as well as consultants pride themselves on being part of the best, most talented group of individuals on the planet.

Cons

Recent attrition and woes from growing too fast have turned some people off, as evidenced by some of the reviews of ex-employees in the last year or so. Some of them had great points, and Column5 has incorporated some changes to not repeat past mistakes. The company has bounced back stronger since then, and continues to show its strength in the EPM space, as highlighted by many strong referrals, successful EPM implementations, and high employee morale.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your employees, partners and clients, and enjoy a bright future.

"Very positive experience"

Pros

Column5 is more a less a virtual company in that a lot of employees work from home, or travel on-site for projects. I enjoy working from home because it allows me total focus on my tasks and projects that need to be completed. I have been thoroughly enjoying my team and manager and would definitely recommend others to work here.

Cons

Although it is nice to work from home, I would have enjoyed a meet-and-great with management at the headquarters in Scottsdale upon my hire. If more or less to really get the feeling that this company really does exist and that upper management even knows who I am.

Advice to Management

Continue to have monthly meetings with the whole company on the status of company and directions we are taking. Or perhaps have a different department present current status of what is going on - otherwise I am losing interest of what the company is doing as a whole.

"Unknown"

I worked at Column5 Consulting full-time

Pros

Found a good friend in a fellow colleague

Cons

Toxic work environment. Upper management is unapproachable. Terrible training processes

Advice to Management

Restore the work environment to be more pleasant, create training processes that work and be a little compassionate towards others. Show employees they are a valuable asset to the company. Acknowledge their contributions