Comcast Reviews in Philadelphia, PA | Glassdoor

Comcast Chairman and CEO Brian L. Roberts
Brian L. Roberts

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "I learned a lot about what not to do."

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Comcast as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Some nice, smart people, building perks, great location in center city, flexible working hours (but this has a lot to do with who your manager is), fun events - Comcast wide and org wide, free swag when Comcast was rolling out major events like the Olympics and Nascar and great food all around. You can also get free office supplies for your desk.

Cons

If you're a contractor, be prepared for furloughs around major holidays. This year, there were two-day furloughs, every major holiday, where contractors needed to take that time off unless they had a job that absolutely needed to be done (which, usually, no one does). This type of thing really makes planning what you'll be making on the job a bit more difficult to anticipate.

Management in the org I was in was lacking. I saw major politics being played.

I was hired for one job and was given another. It was misleading and ultimately became the major reason why I resigned. The manager told me he hired me so that he wouldn't have to do that job. But the details and the conversations I had when I was interviewing were very different from what I was ultimately given. It was a job way above my pay grade and level of responsibility and I was doing that full time, with no other time to do what I actually was hired for.

<b>**Please note - Comcast is a big company and my experience was a little piece of a much bigger puzzle. I know people who are extremely happy and have great experiences here. My ratings and review apply only to my situation and not what I think of Comcast as a whole.**</b>

Advice to Management

1. Promote management based on leadership ability and not only being a subject matter expert. I watched an organization crumble because management could not wrap their heads around leading.

2. Hire for the job you are looking for someone to fill - please do not put up a title and job description and then give that person work that is completely not what they were hired for. It is draining, misleading and a complete waste of everyone's time.

3. Accountability and integrity needs to be present - management should not be delegating their own responsibilities to others under them just because they don't feel like doing that job - especially if the person below didn't want to do that and has to do that job full time as a result.

4. Please, no secret political meetings - this plays into integrity. I agree there should be opportunities for confidential conversations, but when politics are involved, it seems excessive.

2. "Midlevel leadership is a joke"

Former Employee - Program Director in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Program Director in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Comcast full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free services, insurance benefits. Pay is decent if can deal with all the politics which is a daily issue.

Cons

Executive Director/Sr Director leadership levels are mostly awful. Organization is ridiculously political and not much of anything gets done. It's all about who you can stab in the back... people smile to your face while lying to you. No one appears to get a fair assessment unless you are 1 of the chosen few and if you aren't super well liked, you are considered an outsider. It's like high school every day. Most stressful environment I've ever worked in.

Advice to Management

Talk to your mid management and encourage them to fairly assess employees and stop acting like we are all in high school.

3. "Senior software engineer"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Comcast as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Get to know new technologies
    Very fact paced
    Close to city environment
    Lots of employees
    Very multi cultural environment
    Nice offices and buildings
    Cheap vending machine food

Cons

With agile no time to follow good practices
     Very poor communication with employees about changes in the organization
    Furlough is implemented which is never discussed during the assignment sign up

Advice to Management

4. "Business Account Executive"

Current Employee - Business Account Executive in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Business Account Executive in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Comcast full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great 401k, company discount on services, and great commission plan. The job is a great resume builder.

Cons

It's complicated to get orders in sometimes. So many people are involved with your order, that it can get messed up through no fault of your own. If you have industry relationships and contacts that can provide you leads, this is a great job. If you do not have inustry contacts it is a very difficult job to keep up with. Comcast is also a very political environment, where your alliances are important.

Advice to Management

Don't talk about reps. behind their backs.

5. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Comcast full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits for medical dental 401k as well as education options. Good vacation time offered and reletively good training given

Cons

You will be micro managed in any department you work in. You will also be expected to consistently exceed expectations.

Advice to Management

Try to be a bit more leniant with your customers pricing especially existing customers $15 off a bill monthly isnt a favor. Also hire competant people who can perform thier jobs not just yes men who dont know how the basic system operates.

6. "Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Comcast full-time

Pros

Experience different parts of the company

Cons

Only take this job if you want to work in accounting

7. "Ups and Downs"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Comcast full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great location, office, and benefits. Huge company so plenty of room to move around if you can network right.

Cons

Lower base salary and bonuses compared to other companies. Some departments can have you working 60-80 hrs/ per week and some 30-40.

"Outbound Saas Sales Agent"

Former Employee - Sales in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Comcast full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with a successful large company with advancement opportunities and position in states across the United States.

Cons

Upper management do not treat employees like human beings. You do not feel appreciated for your hard work.

Advice to Management

Listen to you employees when they present concerns in the workplace.

"The truth"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Comcast full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

In all honesty, and I say this with NO malice, I have no "pros" to mention. I attempted to leave the field blank but was forced to input something.

Cons

My 16+ year experience at Comcast is bittersweet. I had such high-hopes at the beginning, expecting this to be a company which would want to develop, grow and empower its employees to reach their individual potentials. Sadly, this is not the case. There is no mentoring and there are no career paths. Management does not recognize the talents and gifting of its employees so they are rarely utilized. Everyone sitting in cubicles is under-utilized talent who are capable of so much more, but management is uninterested in encouraging personal development.

As for the corporate culture, this took a drastic turn after the purchase of NBC Universal. Prior to purchasing NBCU, there are a fair amount of autonomy at individual locations and business practices had some flexibility to better serve the needs of customers. After purchasing NBCU, Comcast became overtly political and is now a company dominated by cultural relevance. Business practices are now top-down, one-size-fits all. The problem is, NOTHING is one-size-fits all and the customers suffer because of this. As an employee you will be exposed to, overwhelmed with and bullied by all of the cultural "social justice" issues of the day.

Working at Comcast will not give you a personal sense of worth nor will it give you hope for your future. You will go to work each day and perform some tasks within a functional group however value will not be added to your life. The best you can hope for is to be blessed by a few personal relationships you are able to develop with some of your co-workers. This is what will sustain you. Over the last 4-5 yrs of my career at Comcast, my annual "performance increases" were a measly 2%. And I say "performance increases" because my annual reviews had nothing to do with my actual performance. Annual salary increases are determined during the annual budgeting process and understand that this company is ALWAYS looking for costs to cut. Costs associated with employees are always the first cuts made. Each year after the budget process is completed in Q3, headcount cuts are made in Q4. I was a witness to this the past 5-8 years.

If you seek "job security" then you will likely be able to find that at Comcast as long as you have no dreams or career aspirations. If you are someone who wants to make a difference or you want your hard work to be appreciated and rewarded then Comcast is not the place for you. Your obvious question to me after reading this is, "Why did you stay there for over 16 years then?!?!" I worked in 5 different positions over the 16+ years, so changing roles kept me going and introduced me to new colleagues whom I would then develop relationships with.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is "WAKE UP!!!!!" You are surrounded by talented individuals whose potential is not even CLOSE to being utilized. Instead of expecting everyone to "drink the Kool-Aid," try listening to those under you who "know how the sausage is made" and learn from them.

10. "Software Development Manager"

Current Contractor - Software Development Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Contractor - Software Development Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Comcast as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities to learn new technologies and get involved with new initiatives

Cons

Politics & Optics take precedence over team work at the management level.
    Contractor's work almost never gets projected.

Advice to Management

Implement 360 degree reviews. Some of your projects won't even have seen the day of light without a brilliant contractor working behind it. Middle management should care to interact with and listen to contractors as well, not just employees.

Showing 49 of 6,764 reviews