Comcast Reviews in Philadelphia, PA | Glassdoor

Comcast Chairman and CEO Brian L. Roberts
Brian L. Roberts

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • There are so many resources for success the work life balance is really good (in 168 reviews)

• Comcast has gotten a bad reputation for customer service but they are working very hard to turn it around (in 345 reviews)

"Tons of Opportunity, in your Hands"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Comcast full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Comcast has given me the opportunity to develop myself; take the time to grow and learn, and that was really important to me during the time in my life when I joined the company. If you have the drive and ambition, there are a ton of ways in which you can grow into a leader if that's what you want to be. I took advantage of the continued education benefit and am finishing my masters degree now... I also joined a couple of the employee resource groups which offer seminars and networking events that support your professional profile. Listen, I'm not a total nerd. The point of my post is that this isn't a company you join and just stay stale within. They encourage your growth, but it's up to you to make it happen. Not only this - it's pretty exciting. We're busy and we have big jobs to do. My salary is in the top percentile for my industry but not only this, I again get the continued education (which is ~$6K/year) plus free cable/internet, top health care benefits and a truly balanced lifestyle - which is rarely the case within the Tech industry.

Cons

Telling people you work at Comcast triggers 2 typical responses: 1) A big hatred rant on customer service 2) A how do I get my foot in the door?

The reputation of the company is difficult, but the style of the company is to stay humble - I've never seen the company defend themselves against the harmful and discrediting news that exists. I personally think they should defend themselves a little more - they are between a rock and a hard place in many instances of service. I personally experienced visiting someone's home where the issues they were having with their connection was due to a tree root growing into the cable lines which had been their for over 20 years. Things like that cannot be diagnosed over a phone call. It's hard work in the field for sure. Being a part of the corporate side sometimes we're too disconnected from what's happening on the frontline. So I think the size of the organization comes with its complications, but again if you're a working professional looking for an exciting, robust and sexy career, you can comfortably have it here.

2. "Great company - I love working here!"

Current Employee - Senior Director, Business Development in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Director, Business Development in Phila, PA

I have been working at Comcast full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Many interesting projects, lots of work
    - So many training opportunities to learn and grow and develop (some self-paced, some class-based, some workshop
    - You get out of it what you put into it. If you just treat it like a 9-to-5 job, punch the clock and don't invest in the job, you won't get a lot from the company.
    - Great leadership, great teams

Cons

- Can be hard working for the company with one of the lowest consumer reputations on the planet. I believe SO STRONGLY that our NPS efforts will help transform the company.
    - Huge company, sometimes mired in bureaucratic red-tape ("That's not how we do things around here.")

Advice to Management

- Make it easier for employees to move around to different areas of the company, by sharing job opportunities across all enterprises (theme park, studios, cable)
    - Your employees ARE your greatest asset; believe it and treat them that way

3. "QA"

Current Contractor - Senior QA Analyst in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Contractor - Senior QA Analyst in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Comcast as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Good company so iam working there

Cons

It had good name in society.My team also very good and i like co-ordination in team

Advice to Management

Management is very good

4. "In House Tech"

Current Employee - Technician in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Technician in Phila, PA

I have been working at Comcast full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Comcast is a pretty cool place to work realy relaxed and at your own pace

Cons

When there is no work the down time hender your pay

5. "Company is focused on making money above all else"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Phila, PA

I worked at Comcast full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You are given free internet, WiFi while an employee and they generally pay well.

Cons

Magement levels filter issues, so hard to make progress. Too much lip service about getting better at customer service.

Advice to Management

Pop in on 2 to 3 levels down. It appears you have no clue what is really going on.

6. "XOC HFC Tech II"

Current Employee - HFC Tech II in Newark, DE
    Current Employee - HFC Tech II in Newark, DE

I have been working at Comcast full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Maintaining a Hybrid fiber coaxial network has multiple advantages that really gives you a lot of information and experience that can increase your knowledge of a communications plant structure.

Cons

Hurry up and wait atmosphere in the department. An event can happen anytime anywhere. Must work late shifts to relieve shift div.

Advice to Management

Apply to management courses. Micromanaging your team can decrease your abilities as a supervisor.

7. "Midlevel leadership is a joke"

Former Employee - Program Director in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Program Director in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Comcast full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free services, insurance benefits. Pay is decent if can deal with all the politics which is a daily issue.

Cons

Executive Director/Sr Director leadership levels are mostly awful. Organization is ridiculously political and not much of anything gets done. It's all about who you can stab in the back... people smile to your face while lying to you. No one appears to get a fair assessment unless you are 1 of the chosen few and if you aren't super well liked, you are considered an outsider. It's like high school every day. Most stressful environment I've ever worked in.

Advice to Management

Talk to your mid management and encourage them to fairly assess employees and stop acting like we are all in high school.

8. "care team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cherry Hill, NJ

Pros

great place to work for anyone looking for a career with customers

Cons

not enough management to handle everyone

Advice to Management

take more of a leadership

9. "Senior software engineer"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Comcast as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Get to know new technologies
    Very fact paced
    Close to city environment
    Lots of employees
    Very multi cultural environment
    Nice offices and buildings
    Cheap vending machine food

Cons

With agile no time to follow good practices
     Very poor communication with employees about changes in the organization
    Furlough is implemented which is never discussed during the assignment sign up

10. "Division VP"

Former Employee - Division Vice President in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Division Vice President in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Comcast full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Well run and managed company, good benefits, sustained growth plan

Cons

Culture moving away from the founder's goals

Showing 778 of 6,624 reviews