Comcast Reviews | Glassdoor

3,276 Ratings

6,828 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • There is no work / life balance (in 188 reviews)

• All customer service reps learn how to effectively manage these kinds of customers in time (in 356 reviews)

"Not just customers are dissatisfied with Comcast."

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Decatur, GA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Decatur, GA

Pros

Free cable & Internet. They compensate Healthcare benefits pretty well.

Cons

Poor compensation, disorganized and unstructured at times, no telecommuting options.

Advice to Management

Compensate your valuable employees well. Provide career advancement and growth oppurtunities to those employees that have proven vlauable to the growth of the company and not to those who can just talk a lot or because they are good buddies. Just like it is expensive to lose a customer and gain him back, so is losing a good employee and trying to get someone new to fill in the experience and knowledge of the previous employee.

"Comcast does not care about thier employees"

Former Employee - Whipping Boy in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Whipping Boy in San Rafael, CA

Pros

Salary, Benefit package, training, Vice President of the Northbay

Cons

Stress, Comcast Culture is not evenly shared across all mangement, Comcast is after the $$ and does not take care of the customer, Comcast Northbay management does not care about the employees family or health. They would rather work them them till 9 or 10pm at night to get more customers on then let the average employee have a life. If Comcast Northbay continues on the road it is traveling now they will be breaking up families and causeing more stress on thier employees. Comcast hourly employees morale, health, and well being are in a fast downward spiral and is about to go out of control. If Management does not change the way it deals with the hourly employees and put them first over the customer they will have a mutiny on thier hands. It is almost at the boiling point and I see it spilling over in a few months and it will be ugly.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate all management from the Director down. Let thier employees have a life outside Comcast.

"Typical corporate America company."

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Mount Laurel, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Mount Laurel, NJ

Pros

The benefits are super: free cable, 6% matching 401K, ESPP, health and dental excellent for the area, tuition assistance, paid time off is above average, and more. If you have the right management, job support is excellent, hours are flexible, and you can't beat it.

Cons

Getting into a group of good managers is more often than not impossible. Most managers-to-directors are weak and follow the company ask instead of supporting their subject matter experts. There is no clear understanding on what it takes to advance, and as with most places, hard work is not rewarded. The HR is weak and can make it awkward when it comes to moving to another position. Projects are regularly supported by the same people and priorities are re-ordered hourly (in my opinion).

Advice to Management

Share your vision more clearly and you may find that the workers may be more supportive. Stop re-org'ing every 18 months. Root out the bad managers -- maybe even offer a way for a reverse review process from the subordinates to the management.

"Good place to start building IT skills."

Current Employee - Advanced Services Repair in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Advanced Services Repair in Lynnwood, WA

Pros

Comcast offers friendly and supportive management, appropriate training to perform job duties, and opportunities for advancement. Schedules start every 15 minutes and are set every 6 months with opportunity to change by bidding for shifts created for new hires. Opportunities for commissions through sales. No scripting of calls. The facilities are nice . The performance metrics are clear, reasonable, and attainable. People are usually happy after their issues resolved.

Cons

Schedules can include nights and weekends based on seniority. Job becomes excessively easy after a short period. The job primarily role is to get peoples services working though basic troubleshooting which becomes very repetitive.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

5. "great place to work if you are qualified"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Very good work-life balance compared to other companies in this industry. Firm policy of only hiring the right people, and as a result we have a lot of very nice, smart, and experienced employees and no-one intolerable or scary.

Cons

Technology, media and entertainment are all high stress industries and we sit at their intersection. It's exciting and fun but it can get stressful. We also are often in situations where what worked before won't work now, so we have to keep on our toes and not be afraid to try something new. Our products are complicated so expect a long ramp-up.

Advice to Management

Need to find new ways to train less experienced employees to contribute quickly.

"IT'S "sometimes" COMCASTIC!!!!"

Former Employee - Business Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Business Account Executive in Seattle, WA

Pros

comcast has a great culture of giving. Comcast Cares Day is performed once a year and allows everyone within the company to donate time and give back to the community at large. Probably the #1 reason for working at Comcast is the benefits. I don't mean the health insurance, but the free cable, internet and discounted voice service. Along with that, you get OnDemand movies and events at 50% off + discounts on cell service, computers, and other purchases. I know that Comcast is filled with a lot of dedicated, passionate great people and that is another reason it is Comcastic!!!

Cons

Some of the downsides of working for Comcast is what draws a lot of people to the company, their size. Comcast is a huge nationwide employeer with vast opportunities for growth and movement within the company. Because of that, a lot of people have been employed there for a long time and therefore, advancement opportunities don't come around as often as you might hope. Folks are so entrenched that a lot of time to get "promoted", you may have to go into a different department or role. If you can manage your time and work the system then you may have a shot at advancement.

Advice to Management

I would suggest that Senior Management do a better job of knowing what is happening on "the street". I think all too often they lose touch with the employees on the front lines and don't understand what we face day in and day out. I believe they spend to much time watching the commercials and not enough time watching out for us.

"Comcast could be a wonderful place, Sadly management is stuck in an old world business model and refuses to change."

Former Employee - Applications Developer in West Chester, PA
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in West Chester, PA

Pros

Comcast was an interesting place to work, as a developer it really tests your ability to balance latest technology with legacy systems. There are always a ton of jobs open, so if you wanted to move to a different area or job altogether you could. Transfer requests were handled (for the most part) with dignity and grace. Overall a good work experience if you don't mind working for a slow moving behemoth. Working at Comcast gives you an inside look on how a massive corporation functions at a high level, sadly more often than not the answer is that it doesn't function well at all.

Cons

The pay when i worked there was horrible, so bad in fact when i took a new job i was moving up ~75% in salary while maintaining the same job title. Raises were a capped % (5 i think was max for a top performer) which is insulting. Alot of the people are terribly inept at their job, and to help cover the fact they dont' know what they're doing; they tend to slow down every project that comes their way into cancellation. Comcast is an example of an old style company trying to make it in a new world.

Advice to Management

I would reccomend they review their entire HR department, capping raises to flat percentage points makes the top performers very unhappy; often to the point where they leave the company for greener pastures. Eventually you are left with an ocean of mediocre employees that are apathetic about the job there. You need to look no further than the Data Center in West Chester to see the fruits of this plan.

I think you need to shake up the company, do away with the legacy billing systems and become a technology company that provides TV, Internet, and Phone; instead of a cable company. In my opinion it's the only way to save yourself from the onslaught of competitors

"I love my job; and here's why:"

Current Employee - Information Systems Coordinator in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Information Systems Coordinator in Nashville, TN

Pros

I can't really speak for any other Comcast Markets, but the Nashville Market has seen a overall positive change since the newest GM took over. We are recognized consistently as being one of the top markets in the Southern Division. We have regular All-Employee meetings with the GM where he shares praise about the job we're doing, and news about what's coming down the line - and they make the meetings accessible to everyone, important when you have 1200 employees spread over a market that is several hundred square miles and many counties and communities.

Cons

Pay in the Cable Industry sucks. The issue is constantly brought up that we don't get paid enough, even my manager agrees that we aren't, but no one is willing to authorize a raise. The company doesn't seem to realize that free services aren't enough - those alone only add about $1,200 a year to our compensation package.

Advice to Management

Seriously evaluate the hourly pay rates of your support staff - not just Customer Service, but also those that support them. Don't be afraid to spend money and ensure your people have a comfortable working environment - not just where you sit. Don't let Marketing drive your entire business - listen to those that know the system well.

"Low Pay; OK benefits"

Current Employee - Call Center Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Call Center Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Benefits are pretty good; Free cable and internet

Cons

Low pay in most departments. Not much gowth opportunities in the call center

Advice to Management

Competitive pay is essential with today's economy; especially with gas prices.

"comcast not fair to non white employees"

Current Employee - Comtech III in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Comtech III in Baltimore, MD

Pros

because its hard finding another job in this area. you have to have a degree for most other jobs.the one good thing i will say about them is they will hire a lot of people

Cons

just about everything. they still use the good ole boy network.most techs who live on the east coast in good neighborhoods have to have more than one job.they are bad at keeping pace with the bad economy,they really just dont care about all employees.meanwhile managers and supervisors drive ford f150s for no reason at all.they drive there families around in the trucks but we can't

Advice to Management

they need to look at the people that they hire as supes and managers and stop promoting based on skin color

Showing 6,828 of 7,117 reviews