Comcast Spotlight Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Marcien Jenckes
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great salary and starting benefits including free cable and internet (in 33 reviews)

• Good benefits, free cable if you live in a Comcast serviced area (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little room for growth with Sales Support (in 13 reviews)

• It's very political with upper management (in 21 reviews)

1. "Spotlight"

Former Employee - Acct Executive in Fallston, MD
    Former Employee - Acct Executive in Fallston, MD

I worked at Comcast Spotlight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun Job, great benefits, room for advancement

Cons

The commission structure changed, it was lowered

Advice to Management

na

2. "Its Ok"

Pros

Benefits, pet insurance, free cable, some perks

Cons

Management, working environment and, Pay

Advice to Management

Needs new management ASAP.

3. "Re-Organization was anything but organized"

Former Employee - Account Planner
    Former Employee - Account Planner

I worked at Comcast Spotlight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Prior to the re-org, I could have seen myself working here for a long time. I really drank the cool-aid, was passionate about what I did and really loved the company, co-workers and being able to work cross-departmental.

Cons

...Then in December of 2016 they mentioned a re-org that they were "so excited about" - and then when silent until July where they cut roughly half of our team. I guess some people truly are evil. To announce a re-org and then go silent when peoples livelihoods are in limbo is inhumane, and unorthodox.

If you're in sales support, expect management to say they value you, when they don't. They cut back heavily on these roles which was also detrimental to the sales people. Sales support is treated like less-than employees, sales people get all the glory. Opportunities were really limited.

Advice to Management

Don't say what you don't mean. Be truthful, and forthright, don't be so clear as mud and opaque.

4. "Made great friends, but management left a lot to be desired"

Former Employee - Ad Copy Coordinator to Campaign Manager in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Ad Copy Coordinator to Campaign Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at Comcast Spotlight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Building relationships, benefits, coffee, company gatherings, community involvement.

Cons

Gossipy, company lies when it restructures, gets rid of the good people who know what they are doing and keep the not so bright. Overworked, understaffed, and underpaid. Saw many employees cry.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people. They are not just griping to gripe.

5. "AD Sales"

I have been working at Comcast Spotlight full-time

Pros

Learning new skills all the time

Cons

Would like to have more contact with upper management

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Local Account Executive
    Former Employee - Local Account Executive

I worked at Comcast Spotlight full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, free cable if you live in a Comcast serviced area.

Cons

Have watched company change from where concern for the employee was paramount to you are now simply a metric. Some managers are kept on board entirely too long and have literally sabotaged careers of those reporting to them. Used to be a GREAT place to work years ago but recent reorganization eliminated some incredibly talented people who deserved to be retained. Company offers an annual employee feedback survey, but it fails to dig in deep regarding feedback on your immediate superior (i.e., sales manager). Many of my colleagues don't complete the survey for fear of retaliation and others feel the feedback falls on deaf ears. I've worked for some great managers over my professional career and I know the damage I bad one can do to an organization. Given the lack of accountability some sales manager have, they can remain on board for years. The comments from others in other divisions reflect similar issues to the division I work out of so the feedback can't be totally fictitious (favoritism, untruths told, politics....etc..) .

Advice to Management

Employee feedback surveys need to be revamped and have much more focus on first level managers. Never, ever bring a manager on board who has not worked in the environment the job description requires.

"Account Planner"

I have been working at Comcast Spotlight full-time

Pros

Great position that allows you to apply analytical and critical thinking.

Cons

Position was eliminated as the company reorganized.

Advice to Management

Local marketing sales could suffer due to the corporation move towards one-size fits all sales/marketing plans for its customers.

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Comcast Spotlight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours
    Work life balance was excellent
    Depending on manager - little to no micro management
    People in the office were great

Cons

Management was out of touch with the industry
    Salary was very very low
    Plenty of lay-offs
    No real room for growth
    Always knew the problems but never had solutions
    Old way of thinking

Advice to Management

If you want to work for a company for several years, understand and adapt to new industry trends.

"WORST Career Decision – Left good small/mid-size Company to join Comcast Spotlight."

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Chesterbrook, PA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Chesterbrook, PA

I have been working at Comcast Spotlight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Comcast has good brand name BUT SPOTLIGHT is UGLY.
    Good benefits, free cable (only if you are in the zone) because of Comcast.

Cons

SPOTLIGHT is NOT PROFITABLE since MANY YEARS, and on steady/steep decline till date. TALKS about CLOSING/SELLING THE BUSINESS is REAL.

Current leadership (even after the re-org) has been in roles for 15+ years. CULTURE is RIGID stuck in 1950 era. VERY SILOED, POLITICAL, BERAUCRATIC AND RAMPANT FAVROITISIM even after the re-structure. IF you are from DIVERSE background, you will be fired sooner. It’s an OLD WHITE BOYS (& some white girls) CLUB.

They went through re-org – hired fresh talent – and then fired all the good ones because they would question decisions of tenured leaders. It’s a frustrating environment.
    VP/SVPs views fresh outside talent as a threat to their stability - will do anything to protect their jobs and will remove any treats that may come from fresh talent. They will NOT let fresh talent speak up, make decisions, nor let them grow.
    You will be fired if you bring fresh ideas to the table or speak up.

CREDO SPEAK/YOUR VOICE (Employee Engagement Survey) is a HOAX. HR does NOT know what to do with the results, nor do they have any interest in helping employees. HR themselves are very weak, traditional and has ZERO knowledge about the business and employment best practices of modern era.

I was hired during this re-org. I should not have left my mid-size employer.

Advice to Management

Owners must just eliminate the entire Sr. leadership and promote mid-level management. Also hire and nurture diverse people from outside and allow them to run the company. That's the only way to turn it around and save it from wreckage.

"Front Line"

I have been working at Comcast Spotlight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits package that includes adoption assistance, 2 weeks vacation, floating holidays, and paid company holidays.

Free cable and internet to those who live in a Comcast fiber area.

Areas of opportunity to learn about new departments or positions and room for growth within current or outside departments.

Cons

No reimbursement for those not in a Comcast area

Low pay for amount and type of work

No flexibility with schedule and working from home option - employees forced to use PTO to take off Black Friday, Christmas Eve, New Years Eve,

Employees forced to use flex time when weather conditions are poor outside while other departments are dismissed well in advance of the bad weather.

Lack of direction and honesty from management and senior management.

Constant change without thought and care.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. There is a lot of resentment and unhappiness within the front line. A lot of employees have ideas to make it better or improve workflows, but senior management instead dismisses or removes those people from their positions.