Comcourse Reviews | Glassdoor

James Chellis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good times"

I worked at Comcourse full-time

Pros

Freedom and respect for the individual

Cons

Too close to the Beach - distracting :)

2. "Good place to learn, very low pay, and ineffective management"

I worked at Comcourse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people, mostly flexible, good location, PTO is decent, you can learn alot about the elearning industry here, good place to start a career

Cons

Low pay, incompetent and invisible CEO, low moreal, shares building with UCSC housing, favoritism, the entire IT department in the parking lot half the day, no trust in employees, micromanagent is abound. Benifets are laughable.

Advice to Management

Get a new CEO that understands the industry and pay your employees a liveable wage. Invest in your people and there won't be so much turnover.

3. "Concourse, Inc"

I worked at Comcourse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Small - not a lot of room for growth

4. "Fun while it lasted"

I worked at Comcourse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a great company when I first started out. In the heart of Santa Cruz downtown, great places to eat and can take a jog to the beach.

Cons

As time went on they couldn't keep up with the business aspects side of the education industry.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your staff.

"So sad (though not surprising) to see all of these fake reviews clearly written in the same voice by "leadership""

I worked at Comcourse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The industry and coworkers were pros.

Cons

The pace, the lack of respect, the workload, the complete lack of regard for students' wellbeing, the lack of confidentiality of HR, the exploitation, the pay (based on experience and role, my salary should have been 2 or more times what I was earning...yet there was an upper level manager rumored to make a quarter of a million dollars a year). The fact that there were no consequences for bad behavior (like the time someone pulled out a knife in a meeting, and the time that someone was asked to work from home after multiple sexual harassment claims). There's a lot more that I can say here.

Advice to Management

Call it quits! Hand out severance and just stop...

6. "Depressed Culture"

I worked at Comcourse full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people who work there are generally pretty nice easy to get along with etc. Management is approachable, and it is located in downtown Santa Cruz. There are lots of opportunities to try new projects and learn new things.

Cons

The leadership is clueless. It honestly seems like they've already moved on in their hearts and yet for some reason they keep doing it. It feels like a bad marriage. Its really depressing. The company has been tanking for the last several years and though they keep talking as if this is going to be temporary, their attitude says otherwise.

Advice to Management

Comcourse has a ton of resources that it could use to make itself viable again, but it needs to learn to be the flexible company it once was.

"Good company in a difficult industry"

Pros

It was an interesting place to work, in the sense that there was a diversity of things to do.

Overall, I thought the management was good. They probably could communicate more about the company. There seemed to be a lot of changes going on while I was there. But when I asked questions I was given clear responses quickly.

I like it. Downtown Santa Cruz is pretty crazy sometimes, but the company space was generally quiet and people stayed focused on work most of the time.

Cons

They are in a difficult industry. I had a hard time getting as many enrollments as they wanted. It seemed like the students I talked to had a lot of choices of schools, and it was really hard to keep them in school when I did get enrollments. There are so many steps involved for a student to enroll, and it's easy to lose students in the process when we are just talking on the phone or on email.

Advice to Management

Communicate more with the employees. Manage their expectations better.

8. "Best place I ever worked, still friends with some of the people there"

I worked at Comcourse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Comcourse for 3.5 years. It was great for me. I was able to live and work in Santa Cruz where I wanted to stay with my family. Their office is really nice and most of the people who work there are great too. I'm still friends with some of them. I got what I was promised and the job was great! I've worked in some places that aren't even close to being as good. Most of the people there are really positive and upbeat and that really contributes to a good feeling about the company. The upper management was always great to me, very friendly and they would come chat in the lounge sometimes. Especially the VP of HR, he always had great advice. They really just treated me like they cared about me and that made a big difference.

Cons

I just left because I found a higher paying job at another company. My biggest con of the job was that some of my fellow employees complained all the time about the stupidest things. I'm not that old myself but sometimes it felt like I was working with a bunch of kids. Not everyone was like that, luckily, but I guess a few people stand out in my mind. I think that the company gets picked on sometimes because some people can't accept getting laid off or not big raises like they think they deserve.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. From where I sit you're doing a good job, Maybe hire some more experienced people who won't complain so much.

"Unmitigated Disaster Plus Cheez-Its"

I worked at Comcourse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Cheez-Its! Endless, everlasting Cheez-Its! An eternal and all-enveloping celebration of deliciously artificial orange cheese squares!
    Say what you like about how it's a total disaster in every other respect, Comcourse got a hard snack game. As long as you like Costco snacks. Coffee's great. For a while, we even had blood oranges from the farmer's market every week -- unbelievably delicious, oh my god how I miss those oranges.

Other than that... pay's just OK. Benefits are nothing to write home about -- you'll get health insurance (which you're gonna need because of all those Cheez-Its, you cheese-chugging keyboard humper!), and some other basics. No retirement contributions or anything fancy like that.

Cons

What hasn't been said? It's hugely disorganized. The pay is on the low end. For a lot of folks there, this is their first professional corporate job, so there's a lot of turnover (even in good times) as people develop enough skills to jump ship for higher pay. In bad times, there's absolutely no safety margin built into the company's finances, so layoffs are sudden and widespread.

Upper management is disconnected, disinterested, cynical, and usually incompetent. There's no effort to salvage employee morale, because there's no respect for low-level employees. For many employees, it's just a job, tolerated because there are so few opportunities in Santa Cruz. The bulk of the most competent folks left long ago.

The students are just grist for the mill. One look at the degrees sold by client schools and it's painfully obvious that these poor people are getting fleeced. Pretty shameful, actually, and not a part of the job I was proud of.

Yes, there is a lot of complaining. Yes, some of it's trivial. A lot of it isn't. This company is broken from the top down. Don't work here. A lot of places have Cheez-Its these days.

Advice to Management

Go to the bathroom. Walk to the sink. Look at the shiny thing above the sink. You will see a face in it. Fire that person.

"Start up environment in a distressed market"

I worked at Comcourse full-time

Pros

Frequent opportunities for advancement, creative challenges, exposure to customers, excellent HR, start-up, problem solving highly valued.

Cons

Disorganized operations, micromanagement from the top, favoritism to unskilled management, compensation too low to retain competitive talent. Vulnerable to a highly competitive marketplace in crisis.

Advice to Management

Consider performance-based compensation to retain strong talent. Utilize objective, data-driven decision-making metrics, do not drive decisions from opinions of managers. Promote idea-sourcing from highly skilled staff with open communication channels, don't filter it through management.