Comerica Reviews | Glassdoor

Comerica Reviews

Updated April 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Unfortunately, Upper Management has decided that the top down super sales environment is the way of the future (in 20 reviews)

• outdated technology, conservative company to the point your sales goals are affected (in 18 reviews)

"Comerica"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Comerica full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good growth potential if you can get past the internal recruiters, which are pretty bad. That being said the benefits are great. They offer a 100% match up to 4% and an extra contribution of 3-8% after your first year. That is very hard to beat.

Cons

Corporate policy can be very draconian at times. Example: you must have a business degree to enter into the credit program. If you meet the GPA requirements and have the required number of accounting classes but your degree is in something else? Too bad, go get a MBA and then try again for the same entry level job. This effectively means that you can have taken the same number of relevant business classes (only the accounting classes are relevant for the credit training) and not be considered because you are a math or stats major (people you would think they would desperately want to employ).

Advice to Management

Find better ways to attract and retain talent. There is a reason the younger generation treat this place like a revolving door - progression. The internal opportunities here are fantastic if you know the hiring manager, but if you have to go through HR it is terrible. And unless you work at the headquarters you will probably have to go through HR. You need to overhaul this system and make sure that our internal recruiters treat internal candidates fairly. This is a fantastic company, but you need to show people that there is a well defined path up the ladder if you want them to stay.

2. "Good Place to Work"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative I in South Lyon, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative I in South Lyon, MI

I have been working at Comerica full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Comerica is all about upward momentum with it's employees- they want all of their employees to succeed and strive to promote from within.
    The company truly cares about it's employees.
    One of the best compensation packages around.

Cons

They are stuck in the stone age when it comes to technology-still running on a DOS system.
    They have had a lot of structural changes in the last 6 months.

"Good people, except former boss."

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Washington, MI
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Washington, MI

I have been working at Comerica full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay. Good benefits. Great people. Ability to easily transfer to different areas. Actually it is highly recommended that people move to other groups to get a fresh start, if necessary.

Cons

My former boss. She made my life miserable for 10 years. Thankfully I am out of that position. At least now, after 10 years I get a fresh start. I was finally moved out of my former position, to a position with a more understanding boss. However, I know in this position I will get bored quickly. Unlike my former position. I am beginning to actively look outside the company for more challenging positions. I do not know how my former boss is still employed at Comerica. I am no longer a direct report; however, we are still in the same corporate tax group. I still see her every day, which is not fair. She should be in another group at least. My recommendation is she should have been fired for what she put me through.

Advice to Management

To more closely monitor manager/employee relations. There are no skip level one on one sessions. This would allow on a more frequent basis the employees ability to voice any concerns. It should not have to wait, like I did in contacting upper management to do something about the situation.

5. "VP"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Comerica full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People are great and management is accommodating, work life balance is done well. Lots of exposure to high level executives. The people are kind and always willing to help. Is not a cut throat environment.

Cons

Unwilling to change with different environment, very old school mentality in terms of working from home / job flexibility, employee morale is incredibly low. Training and development is terrible and management rarely shares results of work done with how upper management received it. Culture is not great - low morale. Pace is also very slow and management wants greater analysis but fails to make investments in those areas. Most jobs are reporting related and less impactful to the business unless at a SVP level.

Advice to Management

Bring your employees to meetings with higher management so they can learn. Also, give feedback on how work employees did was received in meetings.

"Worst Place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Base Salaries are competitive but that's because you will not be able to hit a bonus with how things are run.

Cons

Computer systems are outdated and are always having issues. Expected to go outbound to bring business in, but never able to go because locations are always under staffed. Running with only 2 or 3 employees per location. Unable to reach sales goals when unable to go outbound.

Advice to Management

Hire more staff so that employees can actually do their jobs to their full potential.

7. "QA Tester"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Comerica (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some great people there - easy to work with.

Cons

Testing was outsourced to Cognizant using off-shore testers. A lot of the knowledge base has been lost, systems are not documented. So many contractors are fluid and take their knowledge with them when they leave. More consistency is needed.

Advice to Management

Need to negotiate contracts with vendors better - due dates are not even close to being met and cause a lot of additional overhead. Need more dedicated Comerica employees who are vested in Comerica and really care about Comerica's future. A lot of knowledge has been lost.

8. "A nice place to work"

Current Employee - Management in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Management in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at Comerica full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I found it to be a very diverse place to work. As a minority I never felt as if my energy that was put into my job was ever taken advantage of. Management noticed. You don't get a new promotion quickly but if you do your job well you are compensated for it.

Cons

Well having worked in the IT field for over a decade,I see that there is a propensity for departments to work in silos. It could be more collaborative

Advice to Management

Truly take the time to make decisions that may require feedback from people who work with individuals and know how they function. Don't make life changing decisions that aren't good for the company

9. "DBA"

Former Employee - SQL Server Database Administrator in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - SQL Server Database Administrator in Dallas, TX

I worked at Comerica (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly place to work and to learn

Cons

low pay and low compensation

"A Mixed Bag"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Pros

Management generally wants to do the right thing by the client and in a compliant manner. Pay and benefits are decent but won't set any records.

Cons

Management is so incredibly risk-averse that it interferes with actually doing business. Any idea, prospect, or inquiry that goes out of the preexisting template of current business causes great consternation and escalation to the Legal Department, which seems to make the business decisions instead of the business. Management's approach to the recent restructuring has generated some decisions that are truly confounding and demonstrate a lack of understanding of the business units affected.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees who work in the business; they know what they're talking about. Stop allowing the Legal Department to shut down every new opportunity out of fear. Banks exist to manage risk, not avoid it entirely.

11. "personal banker"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Comerica (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice work environment great pay nice experience

Cons

Lots of work trying to get sales