CommScope Reviews | Glassdoor

CommScope Reviews

Updated April 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Work/life balance here was excellent (in 9 reviews)

• They pay and benefits are great, but will not make up for the complete lack of work life balance (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Immature people with zero work life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management seemed to lack direction (in 5 reviews)

1. "CommScope"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at CommScope full-time (More than a year)

Pros

not much competition. global footprint. good 401k.

Cons

tough management culture predominates. top heavy upper mgt structure. overload.

2. "Professional Rework/ Touch up/ wiring on high level components"

Former Employee - Support Engineer in Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Support Engineer in Campbell, CA

I worked at CommScope (More than 5 years)

Pros

Assistance for Engineers and Technicians to rework component and upgrade new products.
                                                  Keep track ECO and MD all products.
                                                  Take care the safety stockroom

Cons

moved to Virginia state.
    Far away for me

"Ups and down"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CommScope full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Mostly great people I work with.
    Relaxed environment (at least my dept).
    Decent pay, good benefits, matched 401k.
    Decent bonus structure the past few years.

Cons

Large corporations have lots of red tape... mostly process documentation. What used to take 5 minutes can take upwards of 5 hours... depending if approvals come through or not. It's good and bad.
    Lots of offshore hiring these days. I get it though. It's good and bad. The global employees I do work with are wonderful, hardworking people.
    Not much in ways of a career ladder. They keep people in the same roles for as long as you are here (mostly).

Advice to Management

Need a more structured career ladder that is actually implemented.

"Good Company To Work For"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Hickory, NC
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Hickory, NC

I have been working at CommScope full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I knew CommScope was the company I wanted to work for when I talked to their recruiting team. The recruiter kept me posted every step of the way and set up interviews during a difficult time (the holiday season!) He went out of his way to keep me engaged and informed and I greatly appreciate it. CommScope was also understanding when the background check company screwed up my report and they had to delay my start date by a week. Rather than rescind the job offer or blame me for the mix-up, CommScope was very understanding and accommodating. I appreciate CommScope willing to take on a recent masters graduate with no experience. Everyone has been very nice, friendly, and helpful. Managers are willing to mentor and teach. CommScope offers competitive salary and benefits (in fact they paid me more than what I had even asked for). The company culture is strong and employees obviously enjoy working here (most of the ones I met have a tenure of 5+ years).

Cons

Just the usual large corporate bureaucracy. It takes a while for things to get done or approved and some days there is little work to do. Sometimes you will finish all your assignments and be waiting around for approval.

Advice to Management

While autonomy is great, if you notice employees with nothing to do-give them something to work on! I have had to ask my manager for more assignments or what types of training I should do. Management should also be a little more understanding when new employees screw up or do not know how to complete a task. Do not assume your employees know as much as you do.

6. "Meh, but we'll see"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at CommScope (More than 3 years)

Pros

Recently risked it all by buying TE's BNS division to double their size. The acquisition may be a boon or a bust.

Cons

So many, but where to start?

"Growing Company"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CommScope (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growing with many opportunities for career options.

Cons

Benefits, like many companies are being reduced somewhat.

Advice to Management

Continue to work with customer facing employees to promote engagement for better service and product offerings.

8. "Extrusion Operator"

Former Employee - Extrusion Operator in Whitesboro, TX
    Former Employee - Extrusion Operator in Whitesboro, TX

I worked at CommScope full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It has been 15 years since I worked at CommScope. I worked there for 13 years srarted in packing then material handling then shipping and receiving and finally to primary extrusion operator. 4 on 4 off was wonderful. I worked over guite often fir the A shift ended beinga great operator on any of the primary lines. Employees and most of the management team were great people to know and work with, I trained a lot of operators before moving to Texas. I would go back to work there if I ever moved back to NC.

Cons

I think being the best operator I could be held me back from moving up to supervisory position, I feel they didn't want to lose the production that I was producing at the time.

Advice to Management

Take care of your plant workers and they will take care of you.

"Good, stable company for long-term career growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Euless, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Euless, TX

I have been working at CommScope full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive salaries and benefits, security of stable company in a growing market, expectations are realistic and work load is manageable. Culture is good and pretty much everyone is nice to work with. Several employees have been here 5-15+ years, started at the bottom and worked their way up - very encouraging for ambitious, career minded individuals.

Cons

Typical big-company processes make everything take a long time, although this seems to be less of an issue in Euless. There is some resistance to change and new ideas that you'll find anywhere, and sometimes it feels like most of the day is spent in meetings, on conference calls, reading/writing emails, etc.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, keep rewarding people based on group profitability and individual merit, don't be afraid to entertain new ideas.

10. "A Great Company"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Technician/Auditor in Catawba, NC
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Technician/Auditor in Catawba, NC

I worked at CommScope full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, Atmosphere, Management has an open door policy

Cons

Typical workplace politics, Not as transparent and should be.

"Territory sales manager"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Pacifica, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Pacifica, CA

I worked at CommScope full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Broad product solutions. Tip tier manufacturer. Global manufacturing for international customers. Global sales support. Full wired and wireless solutions. Fantastic company to grow until Carlyle take over.

Cons

Unfocused sales strategy. Inability to align culture wars with acquisitions. Massive inefficiencies with sales structure. Inability for management to base strategy on street level realities. Loss of internal innovation replaced by acquisition.

Advice to Management

Fix your culture wars before they become viral. Align product solutions through internal sales channels regardless of sandbox disruption.