Command Alkon Reviews in Birmingham, AL | Glassdoor

Phil Ramsey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"People Make This Job"

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Command Alkon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people who work there are awesome and really get it. They work hard and everyone couldn't be better around you. There is a certain person on here with a review titled "Not A Progressive Company" that didn't get along with anyone because she came in with a "know it all" attitude right out of school. She wondered why she got the reactions she did, was mainly cause she was lazy, and it was obvious that intelligence - not hard work - got her everywhere she went in life (and will continue to go). Truthfully though, it's a great company to work for, they really work hard to make you feel valued.

Really enjoyed the travel with the job as well.

Cons

As stated, technologically they are sub-par. They are going to have to go through a HUGE transition here in the next few years to get up to par technologically. It's going to be a huge undertaking. Luckily, I believe that they do have the skills to do it, and they certainly have the leadership to do it.

Advice to Management

Continue to do what you do. Transition your business. I would definitely recommend on the development side, consider your employees and possibly allowing some to work offsite as dictates.

2. "Great People, Outdated Tech"

I worked at Command Alkon full-time

Pros

The people are very friendly. It is easy to bond with your team, which is very important.
    Pay was decent for Birmingham area.
    Benefits are pretty average, certainly not bad.
    Free coffee and soft drinks.
    The building is pretty nice and has a lake walking trail, but watch out for the geese.
    Good work/life balance. Management realizes that you have a life outside of work.

Cons

Technologically they are very out of date. They are working on transitioning away from using Uniface, although that will take years.
    Culture comes across as a little old school in many ways. No remoting in from home if you have the flu, so people are always getting each other sick.
    Their main application is very configuration heavy, resulting in an app that has 1000's of options and flags, making it impossible to account for all scenarios when coding.

Advice to Management

Keep working to update technology.
    Try to update the atmosphere and more importantly the culture.

"Treated Like a Typical Intern"

Former Employee - QA Developer in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - QA Developer in Birmingham, AL

Pros

The fairly relaxed management usually let me work fairly independently, which was a nice breath of fresh air. They were quick to get me anything that I needed, whether that be a different chair, a whiteboard, various office supplies, etc.

My boss was very understanding. I showed up to work one day after a bad breakup. I tried my best to continue putting in effort, but I quickly realized that it would be dishonest for me to continue working that day. I told my boss that I needed to take off for emotional reasons and he didn’t even question it. He was understanding and let me take off.

Cons

My boss’s boss was a bit of a jerk. He treated me like a typical intern, even when it was entirely unnecessary. He moved me away from the rest of my team. The place to which he moved me had three consecutive empty desks, one of which was against a window. Nobody was using that desk, so I requested it. He told me no because somebody else was about to be moved to that desk. Two months later, he eventually moved somebody to that desk. And the icing on the cake is that this employee liked it to be dark at his desk; he’d even unscrew the light bulbs above his desk. I don’t think that he particularly cared for the window desk. Pretty irritating. This is just one of the many things that he did that upset me. Everybody else was fairly friendly, so I suppose that I just had a stroke of bad luck.

Many of the developers really needed to brush up their knowledge in CS. For example, my boss had a PhD in CS, but he didn’t even understand object-oriented programming. He was old enough to have earned the PhD before OOP was a thing, but he never took the time to keep caught up. Many employees were in a similar boat. Perhaps this is because their interviews were the same as mine—no programming or such involved.

Though an intern, I felt that my pay was less than satisfactory. They were unwilling to even negotiate.

Advice to Management

Make an effort to ensure that your employees are up to date on the latest best practices. It would go a long way and make the code much more maintainable.

There’s no server-side validation on the timesheet website. That should probably be fixed. In fact, clock-in and clock-out times should be retrieved from user input; they should be retrieved by the server’s time upon submission of a blank form.

"Sr Programmer Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Command Alkon (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people I work with every day are very good folks, and this is a company with family values. The visibility of work and effort is wonderful. There are a lot of opportunities to move laterally or upwards depends on what your interests and capabilities are.
    Also offers excellent benefits.

Cons

Some older technologies are being used, but they are working towards migrating to latest ones.

5. "Birmingham's Best Company"

Former Employee - Receprionist, Batch Service Administrative in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Receprionist, Batch Service Administrative in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Command Alkon full-time

Pros

The environment is very pleasant, everyone working there are all glad to be there.

Cons

Very high pressure but that's a plus

Advice to Management

You guys are the. Best. 2001-2005

"Overall a great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Command Alkon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Always some new project or product to work with, lots of great employees, wide and diverse customer base

Cons

Executives disconnected from the concerns of the average employee, lack of proactive communication organization-wide

Advice to Management

Engage with employees more instead of dictating to them, cull the dead weight employees! Nothing more toxic than allowing the bad apples to continue to rot.

"Not a Progressive Company"

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Command Alkon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a fairly competitive entry level salary for the area. They now have a pretty good 401k program. The Birmingham office is in a pretty location. They are a stable company, since they are the industry leader.

Cons

Their main programs are written and maintained in an obsolete and almost unheard of language which is not even object oriented, so if you are on those teams, you will not be using or learning languages that will be useful in the rest of the Software industry. They do not allow developers to work from home, even though you can remote into your work computer from anywhere with an internet connection. Even when there is the threat of dangerous roads due to winter weather, they tell you to "use your discretion" in coming to work, but tell you that if you choose not to, you have to use your PTO (if you have it. If you are an hourly employee, you just wouldn't be paid). They have been moving toward, rather than away from, a "punch the clock" mentality, where they expect you to log at least 8 hours, and even if you make up the time to leave early one day, they won't let you leave as early as the time you've made up. They offer 3 days of bereavement leave, but don't tell you that when there is a death in the family, you have to know that it is in the handbook, and if you try to take the three days, they say that it reflects poorly on you to ask for that much time off. As I am now leaving, they were telling me they'd only discuss the details of my termination of benefits after they have terminated them (including the FSA money that came out of my paycheck), and then after I pushed them and tried to prevent them from taking my hard earned money, they told me that they'd already taken it because they told me it'd roll over, and then they didn't roll over because I "didn't have an account into which to roll it over" because I didn't contribute more. Even though, by their own admission my account is active, and the card for the account says it doesn't expire for two years. Most of the points by which they recruited me have stopped being true in my two years here, if they were ever the case.

Advice to Management

Learn that this is the 21st century. There is no need for a computer based job to sit at a desk in an office for 8 hours a day 5 days a week, when it is possible to remote into the network and do the job from any computer anywhere. Treat employees with respect. Don't try to cheat us out of what we have earned.

8. "A good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Birmingham, AL

Pros

-Opportunity to grow
    -Depending on your position, you could get to travel to some pretty amazing places (international)
    -CAI is the industry leader in its field, and most competition is far behind

Your direct manager has a large impact on your job life. I've been fortunate to always have good ones who encourage growth and opportunity, and are flexible when it comes to time off and work/life balance. I'm told there are managers who aren't as easy to work for, but I haven't had any experiences with them.

Cons

It's a little "old school" for a software company. No jeans to work. No cool, hip, fun perks you get at some more modern shops.

I'd like more money, but who wouldn't? I don't feel unfairly compensated.

Advice to Management

If you want to hire young talent that makes sleek, modern looking software, then you've got to make the culture of the company feel younger. Loosen up the dress code, have some social events outside of working hours, and you'll develop a younger culture that perpetuates itself.

"very family oriented"

Current Employee - Analyst in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Command Alkon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of flexibility. Care about employees

Cons

Pay not up with industry

Advice to Management

Pay more and retention will be even higher. bigger bonuses

"Where I want to end my career!"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Command Alkon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Command Alkon puts all of their focus in two areas... their customers and their employees. CAI provides an incredible work atmosphere as well as an extremely financially stable work environment. The best part of working here are my co-workers and the Executive Leadership Team that drives our company towards the future. We are also very active in the community as well. I only wish I could have found this company 10 to 15 years ago.

Cons

CAI is very stable with about 450 employees world-wide with an average tenure around 11 years. Because of this I have noticed that some employees are unsatisfied by the speed of promotions or upward career growth.

Advice to Management

Please continue to share the company strategies and direction as we head into the future.