CommerceHub Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 21, 2019

3.1
Frank Poore

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Laid back work environment with good work/life balance" (in 7 reviews)

• "Great culture, innovative tech, great people who take their work seriously but not themselves" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Sometimes projects are fast paced and it requires discipline to keep up" (in 3 reviews)

• "Poor job security: People are frequently let go with little warning or reason" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Wonderful Company"

Current Employee - Onboarding Specialist in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Onboarding Specialist in Albany, NY

I have been working at CommerceHub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best place to work in terms of innovation and growth. The team environment is healthy and supportive. The owners and management truly value their employees/teams growth.

Cons

This is not a con, but this is not a place to work if one is not willing to adapt to frequent change!

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

2. "Moving in the right direction"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Albany, NY

I have been working at CommerceHub full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people. Interesting problems to solve.

Cons

Long cold walk to the building but the shuttle helps.
    Could use a few more Company Holidays or PTO.

Advice to Management

Keep up the momentum. A few more company holidays and the new shuttle add up.

3. "Great company, great people"

Current Employee - Manager in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in Albany, NY

I have been working at CommerceHub full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great mid-size company in Albany with solid financials, great market, and impressive list of customers.

Some of the best people I've ever worked with.

Company culture is seriously awesome, not fake as some reviewers from last 6 months have seemed to indicate. There's a bagel club that employees participate in every Friday, but the last Friday of the month the company buys bagels for everyone. There's popcorn/ice-cream snacks 1-2 times per month just for fun. Nobody "pretends to ride a bike around the office" like one reviewer suggested, but we have an indoor bike rack employees can park their bikes at instead of leaving them outside. Great on site kitchen, vending machines, water cooler, on site shower, fitness classes during lunch hours (mostly yoga), almost monthly events (October = Halloween activities/part, November = pot-luck Thanksgiving meal with catered turkeys, December = AWESOME catered holiday party with open bar and amazing gifts given away (large screen TV, a bundle of cash, an Xbox, a playstation, etc.) Janaury = 3 free tickets per employee to the Mayor's Cup Hockey Game.

Parking sort of sucks and the overflow parking lot is quite a hike. Company just recently hired a Shuttle that runs mornings and nights through the winter to bring employees right to the front door (it's a Royal Limousine Bus).

Pay is average to above average for Albany depending on your experience.

Health benefits offer good choices between high deductible or a co-pay-based plan.

6% 401K company match.

Annual bonuses.

Easy access to any ergonomic equipment needed (standing desks, multiple monitors, etc).

Open office environment (which isn't for everyone) has lots of bright natural light. Good for collaboration, but my personal favorite.

Management team has some bumps in fall of 2018 but has stabilized nicely. There really seems to be a good plan for 2019 and going forward.

Engineering team has some seriously good talent and working on a variety of interesting tech stacks and projects.

Work life balance is actually pretty good. I get almost NO emails from anyone in the company over the weekend as opposed to every single job I've ever had. Some people work in jobs that require 24x7 on call but on-call rotations usually last for 1 week at a time every 2-3 months (depending on the size of the team) so I'm not sure why other reviewers claim there are crazy expectations around hours. Show me any company that operates 24x7x365 SaaS services that don't have teams on call?

Engineers have a solidly defined Engineering Career Ladder that details role evolution and clear expectations for employee performance. In addition to mid-year and end of year formal evaluations employees typically have weekly 1-on-1's with their manager to discuss any issues or concerns. These can be informal 5 minute chats over coffee or 30-minute in depth career discussions... the agenda is owned by the employee.

Dress code is very casual. Interviews are casual dress too.

This is not a Silicon Valley dot-com with slides or robots or frat-boy antics, but a solidly cool company with good people trying to make software that makes us money.

Lots of the newer/younger people that have joined the last 2 years have ONLY worked at CommerceHub and have no basis for comparison. When I hear people lodge minor/trivial complaints I feel like asking "have you ever worked anywhere else???" Some of the "big problems or major complaints" I've heard people mention are SO trivial in the grand scheme of things. Engineers at CH may not be as spoiled as Google or Facebook with their perks, but pretty close. Actual things left to still complain about are trivial.

Cons

2018 saw ~50 new hires including a bunch of new management. There was some overhead that taxed some teams due to the time to onboard and train all the new people.

Work from home policy. It's more ad-hoc and allowed but only upon request (if you have a sick kid, expecting a delivery, etc).

Open office environment leads to lots of noise, hard to focus. However there are 14-15 conference rooms that can be used for small meetings or some quiet time.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to employees and addressing problems (i.e. great job providing the shuttle for winter months due to parking constraints).

Continue providing small benefits (bagels, free snacks). It's these little things that make such a huge difference to people.

4. "A Solid Company Righting The Ship"

I have been working at CommerceHub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people. I'm constantly surprised at the caliber of people here. Not only that, there aren't really any bad eggs or ego issues. The work space is nice, although an open office, which doesn't work for everyone. The pay and benefits are good and the company seems to be on a pretty solid footing. I get the feeling that my managers are actually concerned for my well being.

Cons

There was a lot of turn over last year. This was partly due to a big hiring push. It was also partly due to a lack of executive level communication/strategy. This seems to be getting better.

Advice to Management

Keep working on clear and timely communication. Things are getting better and I appreciate the changes.

"Still a good company just needs to course correct in a few areas"

I worked at CommerceHub full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

CommerceHub can be a great company at times but has a few flaws. I believe most employees and managers want to work together to achieve common goals. Happiness and success within the company may depend on which department you find yourself in, who you work well with and who you may clash with. Be prepared to work hard and learn as you go in most roles, especially Vendor onboarding and CS. If you are in development/engineering be prepared to have some loose roadmaps and tight deadlines. You may have to fight to have your voice heard and push for change at times, but this is a business. If you are a VP/C Level, you will have to understand how to work with the CEO. It’s not impossible, but it will be a challenge. You also have to be aware that the company will take risk and there will be missteps…but no risk no reward. I have seen the company grow about 5X Rev in my time there, so they have certainly done some good things.

Cons

Compensation in some roles and departments could be better

CEO understands how to hire smart talented people but struggles to let them do their jobs, which is to lead and make changes. You don’t hire C levels to sit and take orders and keep the business the same.

At times can lack vision for the future, new products, markets, enhancements etc. With the recent IPO and subsequent sale it is perceived that CommerceHub turned into more of a marketing and PR play for money the last few years.

Advice to Management

1. Run a full audit of departments, managers/directors/VPs etc. GET EMPLOYEE FEEDBACK. Some departments have turned toxic but this can be corrected.
    a. Recognize and accept that some managers need real coaching and additional resources
    b. Emphasize that managers can not rule with an iron fist to get results
    2. Create a new mission and vision that everyone can get behind
    3. Work on comp plans and structure. Employees are starting to feel that they are working only to fatten the pockets of the ones at the top.
    4. Recognize that the market has changed in the last few years. There are new competitors. Change accordingly.
    5. Go back to your roots. Innovate, develop products, solve problems!
    6. Work on career development. This is a big reason you will see talent leave after a couple of years.

"Fake corporate culture, uncertain future, losing staff at an alarming rate"

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at CommerceHub full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A cool kitchen and unique office.

Cons

What started as one of the more promising tech companies in the region, CommerceHub has fallen into a deep pit of process and micromanagement. Its a company void of job growth, a place lacking in corporate culture and a promising future.

The company is in the midst of an are-they-aren't-they hiring freeze and spending freeze. This is causing mass exodus of workers in recent months. Staff aren't happy, there's no growth, and company culture has dropped off over the last few years.

I can't in good faith recommend CommerceHub as a place to work. At least not until there are changes in the ownership and management of the company. The current owners are not in it for the long haul, and executive changes will be coming in the near future.

The corporate culture is faked. The LinkedIn adsand marketing are painting a false picture, people riding bicycles around the office? Ping pong tournaments? News to me. A game room that most were afraid to use. CommerceHub spent far too much time trying to "sell" themselves instead of actually focusing on the perks, benefits and overall corporate life. Far walk into work, no gym, no holiday party or any social events, minimal holidays, average time off, high-cost health care, no work from home. All that's left is a strong 401k match, but that's just not cutting it for much of the staff.

Advice to Management

CommerceHub needs to find an identity, and unfortunately, remove much of the upper management. They need to compete with other companies to not only acquired talent but keep it. CommerceHub is not a place people are trying to work for, instead everyone is trying to leave for better opportunities.

7. "Talent Acquisition Partner"

I have been working at CommerceHub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team environment. I feel challenged and truly valued here. It's exciting to work for a growing company, in a fast paced industry- There's always something to learn!

Cons

I don't consider this a negative, but CommerceHub is a fast paced environment that welcomes change. If you prefer a slower pace..It's not for you.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to employees

8. "Manager"

I have been working at CommerceHub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome work environment and culture. Employees are given autonomy within their job role.

Cons

New Hire Onboarding process was short. Could have used additional training to prepare for the position.

"Company is growing"

I worked at CommerceHub full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture is accepting of everyone

Cons

The internal team communication is not great

"Billing and Collections"

I have been working at CommerceHub full-time

Pros

Great people and cool company

Cons

Low pay, work volume is inconsistent