CommerceHub Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Frank Poore

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • And they encourage a solid work-life balance, meaning no one is working 60 hour weeks (in 7 reviews)

• Great culture, innovative tech, great people who take their work seriously but not themselves (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor communication from middle management regarding expectations and career growth (in 3 reviews)

• Since Commercehub West (Formerly known as Mercent) was acquired by (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing growth story"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Albany, NY

I have been working at CommerceHub full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is fast paced, profitable and has industry leading customers. The benefits are second to none in the region, the office space is incredible and the company events and culture make it feel like fun.

Cons

If you’re not in early you have to walk a bit which isn’t an issue except when it’s below zero.

Advice to Management

Keep growing the company and don’t lose the startup mentality.

Feb 8, 2018 – Director, HR & Company Culture

Thank you for the feedback! Parking continues to be a topic of discussion - we are looking into some options, partnering with CNSE.

2. "Strong Company, Stronger Opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

I have been working at CommerceHub full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CommerceHub is a thriving, profitable company in an extremely strong and growing industry. Being on the cutting edge of the market, they are well-positioned ahead of their competition. Bottom line, it's a very stable place to be.

The office in Albany is beautiful, with the kind of amenities you see in sitcoms about Seattle startups; game room, walking path, community cafe/kitchen, lounges, the works. And the central Albany location makes it easy to access, even for those coming in from outside the city.

The compensation is also strong, with a solid 401(k) match and rich health benefits (more on these in CONS). And they encourage a solid work-life balance, meaning no one is working 60 hour weeks. Teams pull together for big deliverables when needed, but late nights and weekend work are the exception not the rule, and leadership is highly appreciative of such efforts.

The executive team is not your average gang of stuffed suits. The CEO and CTO (co-founders) are true pioneers, building CommerceHub from the lowest-invested tech startup among its peers, to the only giant left standing in their 20 year history. They regularly work right with their teams, and are frequent attendees at company events. Other VPs and C-level folks are equally accessible and engaged.

Promotions and cross-hiring is BIG at CommerceHub. Hires frequently come from within and barely a week goes by that someone isn't moving to a new position or being promoted to leadership roles. It's great to see such a focus on promoting internal growth, there feels like there is plenty of room to grow on any team.

The company events are worth mentioning. There are monthly main gatherings; from chili cookoffs to a full Thanksgiving banquet, a massive summer picnic to an all-employee rock band concert at the holidays, alongside frequent ice cream/popcorn socials and smaller one-off events.

Most impressive was last year's inaugural "BrainStream" innovation project. Work was stopped for two full days while employees formed teams to literally work on any idea they thought might benefit the company or team. The energy was incredible, and the presented projects pushed some very interesting envelopes. I truly hope to see it happen again in 2018!

Best of all, you get to work with great people, from all walks of life. Software engineers, customer support, writers and designers, marketing, and more all work in the same space and regularly interact and collaborate. People here are smart, motivated, and always willing to help a teammate out.

Cons

For all that CommerceHub has a robust culture, it feels a bit brittle at times. Company-sanctioned events are great, but tightly controlled, and employee contributions aren't well-received if they might take away from work time.

The benefits provided are generous, but some are oddly lacking in the modern workplace. While there are locker/shower rooms and a few fitness classes (held in a cleared out conference room), there is no wellness program to speak of whatsoever. Physical and financial wellness programs are pretty powerful recruiting and retention tools, and CommerceHub appears to never have heard of them. The health plans are very rich, but all are on the pricey side, without a truly affordable option. Plus, despite offering a high-deductible option, there is no HSA or HRA offered with it -- meaning no company contributed funds and employees must set up their own accounts -- which is almost unheard of in today's benefit world.

Oh, and if you're someone who is used to working remotely, you'll be disappointed to know CommerceHub has no flex-work program. Occasional remote work may be approved on a team-by-team basis, but in general it is not a part of the landscape.

There is also next to no new employee nesting/training program. Everyone gets a half day of HR forms and benefits introduction, then training is purely a team-by-team affair, with no standard introduction to the company, history, culture, industry and competitive landscape, or anything else. I felt like I was floundering in many areas for several months after I was hired, knowing what I was doing, but having no idea how it fit into the larger picture.

Advice to Management

Fill in the benefit gaps, especially in terms of health and financial wellness programs. Set up an employer sponsored HSA or HRA to go with the HD health plan, and put a little cash in the piggy bank. And work on a common employee training program to help new hires get over that 90 day hump and not feel so lost in the woods!

3. "Good place to work"

Pros

The people and work environment

Cons

Expected to stay late if salaried

4. "CommerceHub - no other company like it in upstate NY"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

I have been working at CommerceHub full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, innovative tech, great people who take their work seriously but not themselves. Talent rises to the top. Company is a clear market leader.

Cons

Need to be able to embrace a fast paced environment.

Advice to Management

Keep innovating and don't stay satisfied with past success

5. "A great place to work!"

I have been working at CommerceHub full-time

Pros

A fast paced environment, with a great team atmosphere. The exec's are all approachable. Benefits are competitive. Awesome company events!

Cons

Don't have the time to take advantage of meditation room/fitness classes

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

I have been working at CommerceHub full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Talented teammates, fun events, opportunities to grow, work/life balance. The company really cares about its employees. From paid onsite fitness classes, to a game room, meditation room, and training and development, there’s a nice variety so there’s something for everyone. Growing fast, but still a good size where you can see your impact.

Cons

Parking can be difficult if you’re not in by 8:30 (just a long walk). Could have more communication about company updates aside from quarterly all-hands meetings.

Feb 8, 2018 – Director, HR & Company Culture

Seeing your impact is definitely a pro - while we're growing fast, we continue to make opportunities for all employees. It's great to see the family-like culture and closeness we have kept while we... More

"PEOPLE DON'T LEAVE JOB'S THEY LEAVE MANAGEMENT!!!!!"

Former Employee - Onboarding Specialist in Albany, NY

I worked at CommerceHub full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to meet and work with at the ground level.

Cons

- Always under threat by immediate management that you will get fired that day for no reason or at the smallest mistake.
    - Management makes you feel like you owe them your job because they are the ones that got you hired. Not that your skilled in what you do or anything.
    - No career progression what so ever. I tried for years to get a plan together and they just told me I was good enough to move to another team and to good at what I did working under them.
    - Company meetings where the CEO gave you a warm and fuzzy feeling and I quote “we only want to have A players on this team. Most people in this room are B or even C players. Strive to be A players or you might not be here.” Like I said warm and fuzzy right. Now I get everyone wants to motivate their workers to be better and do more, but when did motivation turn into threats and bullying?
    - Don’t miss a day of work for being sick or have a family emergency. 1. You will be scolded for missing work. 2. Your team must cover for you (most of them will not complain as they all feel your pain when they miss a day) 3. You get behind for a week because management does not know what you do and changes the work flow every other day.
    - Reviews are a joke. Given by management who basically control the outcome regardless of how well you did your job.
    - Going above and beyond is not rewarded and then only becomes an expectation.
    - I can go on for days about how bad the culture is specially the onboarding team who are not allowed to socialize with the other teams with each other for that matter.

Advice to Management

I read through every single negative review on this site and found (I suggest future employees do as well) that I 100% agreed with them. My advice would be to really look at who you have managing your teams and oh yeah when your "worker bees" who keep the connections rolling (making you all your money while you fork out small salaries and small bonuses) in bring issues up to your HR department, deal with the issues rather than letting the employees go because that is the easier path than addressing the managers. I am so Happy that I could leave CommerceHub before I was let go for no reason what so ever. Also from what I heard from my co-workers I still communicate with – it has only gotten worse. Best of luck to whomever wants to work for you guys while all these issues remain. Employees who buddy up to C level employees should not advance to management because they know how to play football during the company picnic. Last note MASCOTS DON’T MAKE GOOD MANAGERS.

"Downward Spiral and Awful Decision Making"

Former Employee - Onboarding Specialist in Albany, NY

I worked at CommerceHub full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you are a software developer then you will be treated decently

Cons

- There is absolutely no long range planning, everything is reactionary and short term.
    - The customer facing teams are a total after thought and are the last to know about any changes or updates.
    - Personal assessments are carried out by managers that are incapable of actually doing the work and the assessments themselves are draconian. If you do not score at a 90% in all categories your assessment scorecard is rated as a 0%.
    - What you are being assessed on is not explained at all and the monthly assessments normally do not happen in a timely fashion.
    - Several managers are managers simply because they are friendly with C level employees
    - It is very disheartening when the CEO/Co-Founder says during a company meeting that he does not know what the acronym for your department actually means
    - Bullying by management is the norm
    - Information is not shared by management to the staff
    - Rampant nepotism

Advice to Management

You need to have a top down reconfiguration of the entire company. Management one has contact with department management who paint the rosiest of pictures when the reality is that the staff is miserable and frustrated. Department managers and supervisors need to be able to manage and effectively train their staff. Many department managers need to be let go because their reigns of terror are driving away any talent their departments have.

"Great Coworkers, Bad Management"

Former Employee - Associate Account Manager in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Account Manager in Albany, NY

I worked at CommerceHub full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at CommerceHub for about 3 years and had an up and down experience. Please note I worked on the business side specifically with support and not as an engineer, JAVA expert, etc. Those teams are under completely different management.

- Great people to work with (very bright and friendly group you can learn from)
    - Picked up career growing skills and traits (more so than other companies I've worked for)
    - One of the top capital region tech companies
    - Elite HR team

Cons

- Turnover rate: I had 4 different managers in 3 years and about 80% of my team had either been fired or left and replaced between my first day and last day of working there

- Too much middle management: Our department had two Senior members, a team lead, 2 supervisors, and a manager so you can get an "office space" like environment when different managers asks you to do different things

- Management has my way or the highway approach: Which can be very strenuous when multiple people are telling you what to do and there's fear of being fired

- Very stressful work environment with high expectations from management

- Required on call work with no regard for personal life (unless one of your coworkers is willing to cover for you which honestly is what happened most of the time)

- Management has no idea what they're doing due to the high turnover rate and the cultural mindset that managers don't actually need to understand the business and should just tell people what to do.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees and don't treat them as just another worker on the books.

Management should know more about the business than their subordinates not the opposite.

10. "Quite possibly the best place to work in software in the Capital Region"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

I have been working at CommerceHub full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Joining CommerceHub has proven to be the best career decision I've yet made.

For me, the growth opportunities have been numerous in terms of both building skills and experience and career advancement.

I work with a lot of great people, and that judgment is both personal and professional in nature.

The company is very profitable and growing rapidly.

Pay is highly competitive. I received a number of offers in the area before joining CommerceHub, and CommerceHub's offer was the best - and during my time here, I have received multiple significant pay increases, have received a bonus every year, and have also been granted stock.

The benefits package is generous. The 401k plan and contribution match is world-class, the various insurance options are priced fairly, I am given an ample amount of PTO, and I have experienced flexibility when it comes to things like bereavement leave.

I have been given multiple training opportunities, from classes and on-site training to conferences and certifications.

The office space is world-class.

The company puts on several fun events every year, from ice cream socials, picnics, and baseball game outings to a classy annual Christmas party.

Employees with shared interests spend time together pursuing those interests. One such interest worth highlighting is giving back - many employees are active in organizations such as the American Diabetes Association, Habitat for Humanity, Unity House, and more.

Employees celebrate each other's accomplishments via an internal blog where successes and promotions are shared with the company.

I could go on...

Cons

While overall I think CommerceHub is a great company and an excellent place to work, I prefer transparency and so think the following concerns are worth mentioning:

I have averaged more than 1 change to who I report to per year. That not included, the company's management structure changes significantly relatively frequently. I'm not sure this is a significant con, though; I choose to see it as a sign that the company is truly growing and seeking continuous improvement.

I sometimes find myself concerned about how we identify business opportunities and plan our work. I would prefer "agility," "experimentation,", and the like, but sometimes see shifts in the direction of significant up-front analysis, planning, etc.

Feb 8, 2018 – Director, HR & Company Culture

Management structure has definitely changed within certain pockets of the organization. I agree with your statement that it can be looked at as a sign that we're growing. Sometimes it takes a little... More