Commercial Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Ron Perry

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Great Company that Cares about its People"

Current Employee - Operations Team in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Team in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Commercial Energy (More than a year)

Pros

Commerical Energy is truly a work hard-play hard environment. This is a place you come to have a career, not a job. The work may be demanding, but it is rewarding and certainly pays dividends in both personal/professional growth and cold hard cash.

Management really invests in its people. The hiring process is rigorous, but once you're in, your family. This means generosity and loyalty both in the form of continued education and coaching as well as fun social events. Last quarter, the team got to cruise The Bay and learn from a former Blue Angel.

The company is also exceedingly profitable and stable. Unlike some of the Bay Area's wild startup companies, Commercial Energy is established and has a proven business model. This is a company that will continue to be successful for years to come.

Cons

High expectations can sometimes lead to stress

Advice to Management

Continue investing in your people!

2. "Good Experience So Far (Have not been here too long)"

Current Employee - Inside Energy Specialist in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Energy Specialist in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Commercial Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are hard-workers, the atmosphere professional, and the pay is solid. Each employee works as part of a team to provide quality service and quality assurance. Nothing stands out as particularly bad. So far, everything has been pretty up-front.

Cons

It's a little boring at times, and there's less interaction then I'd like in a job. Tough for me to see the impact of my work from the back office, mainly because I don't interact with customers, salespeople, or even managers very much.

Advice to Management

The atmosphere can get boring when completing a time-consuming task, so I feel like there should be a little more personal freedom to, for example, listen to music, chat with co-workers, etc.

"Opportunities for the able few"

Current Employee - Administration in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Administration in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Commercial Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have seen Commercial consistently promote from within, today five of the managers got there that way. A fun and passionate place to serve business clients' energy management needs.

Cons

You have to want more from your career and ask for more.

Advice to Management

Keep promoting from within and keep growing your energy management services.

"Challenging/ Rewarding Job"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Commercial Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the smartest group of people I've ever met. Clear and realistic expectations. You feel appreciated for your hard work. Intense onboarding process but you feel supported the entire time. Great management and everyone is always eager to help. This is a company where you can make a career.

Cons

If you are not willing to work hard, this may not be the right place for you. Expectations are high but your hard work does not get unnoticed.

Advice to Management

Keep giving constant feedback and clear expectations!

5. "I feel appreciated every day"

I have been working at Commercial Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've seen positive changes in my short time at CE. I joined as a contractor and was converted to regular full time within 3 months. I'm continually learning new things. The people are wonderful. We work hard and play hard too. I love our new 'Good Energy' AWARDS.

Cons

Expectations to are high. You need to be willing to step up.

Advice to Management

We like seeing your personal human side and humor!

"Hard-Working Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at Commercial Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a great company to work for. Everyone works extremely hard and seems passionate about what they do. My hard work was always appreciated and never taken for granted, which was very nice and refreshing. I was always given everything I needed in order to do my job well and my manager was nothing but the best in helping me every step of the way. There are a lot of people who are very close friends, but they make you feel welcomed into the office very well.

Cons

Work/ life balance can be hard, because a lot of people work very long hours in order to get everything done.

Advice to Management

Keep providing all employees with all the tools and knowledge they need to be able to do all task efficiently.

7. "Employees appreciated and paid well"

Current Employee - Operations in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Commercial Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart co-workers and leaders, challenging work with time built in for fun. Hard work is acknowledged and rewarded. You can grow your career here. For sure a 'foodie' culture.

Cons

Formal environment is not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep finding ways that lead us all to success.

8. "Bottom Line: Perform and You Will Be Compensated"

I have been working at Commercial Energy full-time

Pros

Quantitative/analytical industry--not for the faint of heart or mind
    High client retention
    Proven business model

Cons

Terrible place if you don't understand hard work

"Positive Review"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Oakland, CA

I worked at Commercial Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. The biggest pro are the people. The people who work there are all really nice, good folk with the best intentions. Everyone I met was honest and real and up-front. They're all there to do the job; and if you work as hard as they do, you'll fit in just fine.

2. The second biggest pro is the experience. Because they are still growing, you learn a lot about the industry and business quickly. You'll also be given lots of responsibility if you show you can handle it. There's no shortage of work to do there. A skilled jack-of-trades type would do well in the back office, and a strong people-person will do well with sales.

3. The third plus is they are generous. They were always prompt and fair with bonuses. Sales gets a good vacation trip if you make your numbers. Back office gets a good Christmas bonus too. They are also very active with charities and supporting their clients and community.

Cons

However, based on other reviews, it clearly it's not the place for everyone. But it is the right job for some, and I would highly recommend it to those people. If you're used to working for a large firm or a public institution, you may find it difficult to adapt. There's definitely no slacking. Ambitious types will do well. They have high standards and If you can't handle a quick learning curve, it may not be the place for you. However, I wouldn't necessarily say this is a "con", just a condition some people aren't capable of achieving.

While it's true the CEO can be challenging, a lot of these reviews are from disgruntled people who haven't tried to understand him. He's honestly a good guy, and has done quite a job creating something from practically nothing. To boot-strap up a company like he has is quite an achievement, so naturally he's proud of his work (as he should be) and he has lots of actually really cool stories to tell about the experience. It's his way of bringing you into the culture he's created. Yeah, it eats into valuable work time on occasion, but he wants to include you into the family he's built there. It means he genuinely likes you. And that's a plus. They want you to be a part of the team, not just an employee. If you're shy, or aloof, that could lead to not fitting in, but go with the flow and give them a chance to get to know you. There are lots of after hours celebrations you can attend, and as I said--the people are great!

The only real con is the dress code. All men (even non-client facing back office staff) have to wear slacks and ties, women seem to have a bit more flexibility in their attire. My take is if women can look good with some flexibility in their dress code, why not allow that liberty to the guys as well?

Advice to Management

Please modernize your website. It is difficult to look at and impossible to tell what it is the company actually does. I honestly don't see how it generates any business.

"Stay Away from Commercial Energy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at Commercial Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is hard to say what the pros of working for this company are. If you enjoy working for an Elon Musk wannabe, this is the company for you. Commercial Energy's CEO Ron, who also owns the company, is a narcissist. One morning during my second week on the job, Ron called me into his office to brag about himself. He told me all about how wealthy he is and how he hangs out with celebrities. He made me stop what I was working on so he could tell me how amazing he is. His management team is not any better. The managers and executives treat the employees like they are children. They will make you feel like an idiot if you make a mistake. The male managers are disrespectful to women. There have been several occasions where I was present at a meeting with only men in the office. The managers would crack misogynist type jokes, completely disregarding the fact that there are women in the office working just as hard as the men. I was shocked to discover how arrogant and disrespectful the managers and sales team are.

Cons

The CEO sets the tone for this office. That tone is very intense and negative. His management team follows his lead as if he is a king. The lower level employees are treated as if they are ignorant peasants. DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY.

Advice to Management

The level of disrespect in that office in unfathomable. Managers need to realize that the company's turnover rate will continue to be very high if they do not change there ways.