Commercial Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ron Perry

"Opportunities for the able few"

Current Employee - Administration in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Administration in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Commercial Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have seen Commercial consistently promote from within, today five of the managers got there that way. A fun and passionate place to serve business clients' energy management needs.

Cons

You have to want more from your career and ask for more.

Advice to Management

Keep promoting from within and keep growing your energy management services.

"Challenging/ Rewarding Job"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Commercial Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the smartest group of people I've ever met. Clear and realistic expectations. You feel appreciated for your hard work. Intense onboarding process but you feel supported the entire time. Great management and everyone is always eager to help. This is a company where you can make a career.

Cons

If you are not willing to work hard, this may not be the right place for you. Expectations are high but your hard work does not get unnoticed.

Advice to Management

Keep giving constant feedback and clear expectations!

"Hard-Working Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at Commercial Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a great company to work for. Everyone works extremely hard and seems passionate about what they do. My hard work was always appreciated and never taken for granted, which was very nice and refreshing. I was always given everything I needed in order to do my job well and my manager was nothing but the best in helping me every step of the way. There are a lot of people who are very close friends, but they make you feel welcomed into the office very well.

Cons

Work/ life balance can be hard, because a lot of people work very long hours in order to get everything done.

Advice to Management

Keep providing all employees with all the tools and knowledge they need to be able to do all task efficiently.

5. "Employees appreciated and paid well"

Current Employee - Operations in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Commercial Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart co-workers and leaders, challenging work with time built in for fun. Hard work is acknowledged and rewarded. You can grow your career here. For sure a 'foodie' culture.

Cons

Formal environment is not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep finding ways that lead us all to success.

"Positive Review"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Oakland, CA

I worked at Commercial Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. The biggest pro are the people. The people who work there are all really nice, good folk with the best intentions. Everyone I met was honest and real and up-front. They're all there to do the job; and if you work as hard as they do, you'll fit in just fine.

2. The second biggest pro is the experience. Because they are still growing, you learn a lot about the industry and business quickly. You'll also be given lots of responsibility if you show you can handle it. There's no shortage of work to do there. A skilled jack-of-trades type would do well in the back office, and a strong people-person will do well with sales.

3. The third plus is they are generous. They were always prompt and fair with bonuses. Sales gets a good vacation trip if you make your numbers. Back office gets a good Christmas bonus too. They are also very active with charities and supporting their clients and community.

Cons

However, based on other reviews, it clearly it's not the place for everyone. But it is the right job for some, and I would highly recommend it to those people. If you're used to working for a large firm or a public institution, you may find it difficult to adapt. There's definitely no slacking. Ambitious types will do well. They have high standards and If you can't handle a quick learning curve, it may not be the place for you. However, I wouldn't necessarily say this is a "con", just a condition some people aren't capable of achieving.

While it's true the CEO can be challenging, a lot of these reviews are from disgruntled people who haven't tried to understand him. He's honestly a good guy, and has done quite a job creating something from practically nothing. To boot-strap up a company like he has is quite an achievement, so naturally he's proud of his work (as he should be) and he has lots of actually really cool stories to tell about the experience. It's his way of bringing you into the culture he's created. Yeah, it eats into valuable work time on occasion, but he wants to include you into the family he's built there. It means he genuinely likes you. And that's a plus. They want you to be a part of the team, not just an employee. If you're shy, or aloof, that could lead to not fitting in, but go with the flow and give them a chance to get to know you. There are lots of after hours celebrations you can attend, and as I said--the people are great!

The only real con is the dress code. All men (even non-client facing back office staff) have to wear slacks and ties, women seem to have a bit more flexibility in their attire. My take is if women can look good with some flexibility in their dress code, why not allow that liberty to the guys as well?

Advice to Management

Please modernize your website. It is difficult to look at and impossible to tell what it is the company actually does. I honestly don't see how it generates any business.

"Stay Away from Commercial Energy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at Commercial Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is hard to say what the pros of working for this company are. If you enjoy working for an Elon Musk wannabe, this is the company for you. Commercial Energy's CEO Ron, who also owns the company, is a narcissist. One morning during my second week on the job, Ron called me into his office to brag about himself. He told me all about how wealthy he is and how he hangs out with celebrities. He made me stop what I was working on so he could tell me how amazing he is. His management team is not any better. The managers and executives treat the employees like they are children. They will make you feel like an idiot if you make a mistake. The male managers are disrespectful to women. There have been several occasions where I was present at a meeting with only men in the office. The managers would crack misogynist type jokes, completely disregarding the fact that there are women in the office working just as hard as the men. I was shocked to discover how arrogant and disrespectful the managers and sales team are.

Cons

The CEO sets the tone for this office. That tone is very intense and negative. His management team follows his lead as if he is a king. The lower level employees are treated as if they are ignorant peasants. DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY.

Advice to Management

The level of disrespect in that office in unfathomable. Managers need to realize that the company's turnover rate will continue to be very high if they do not change there ways.

"My experience as a Commercial Energy employee/owner"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Commercial Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

An outstanding opportunity for those who wish to accelerate their career. I have the ability to serve my customers and create win win win results for the client, myself, and the company. I have full control of my career growth and income based upon my performance. My managers and peers are supportive of my skills development and also hold me accountable for my performance. The company is employee owned so everyone has a vested interest in the company's performance.

Cons

This role is not for the those who just want have a 9-5 job. This role is only for those focused on developing their careers and taking their performance to the next level.

Advice to Management

Remain customer centric and use client feedback to shape your future direction.

"Have your eyes wide open"

Current Employee - Sales in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Commercial Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They make payroll every payday. Other than that, I can't site another positive thing to say about CE or the management team.

Cons

These guys are super controlling. They manage the business like we are a bunch of kindergarteners. They micro manage and think they are the next apple. Not going to happen in this industry or with this management team. Please know what you are getting into before you do. Leaving the office before 6:30pm or without Ron's permission is not tolerated by management regardless of when you get there.
    I have first hand knowledge that they are creating the positive reviews on this site. Just look at the turn over in employees as an indicator of a quality work place. Some of us can't leave but those who can, do.

Advice to Management

Sell or close. You overcharge your customers as if your product is superior somehow. It's all just gas! Maybe if you weren't so greedy or micromanaging the moral would improve.

"Don't recommend. Very intense and unpleasant place with violation of employee rights"

Former Employee - Former Employee in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at Commercial Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I felt that for sales department, it might be a good comp potential if they work hard and have a success. However, it is unusually intense.

Cons

This is a very intense unpleasant place to work. Employees are treated badly by management. Management is not professional. Some former employees file legal claims, which is shameful. The company's CEO is the owner. Management does whatever owner wants, rather than right things. CEO runs this place like his own shop, in his own interest, rather than interest of business or employees. This will unlikely change, as CEO has strong personality. Employees are required to spend long hours, with no recognition. Environment is often unprofessional. Some unprofessional language and treatment is allowed at meetings and not addressed at all. I WOULD RECOMMEND NOT WORK WHERE.

Advice to Management

Try to be nicer to your employees and follow professional ethics. Treat everyone employed equally. You would avoid legal actions and improve moral. Do anonymous survey among employees and learn what they really think about you, don't be upset with it, but rather try to change. I know this is not easy.

"Extremely successful company with a CEO with an Elon Musk/Steve Jobs personality"

Current Employee - Management in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Management in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Commercial Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

CE is a little gem of a company. Where all other compete on prices, CE strives on explaining one on one the best options for their customers - that's the real way to save them money, and the smart differentiating advantage that CE has and that the competition can't replicate. This means that when you work for that company you can get a job for life. If you perform well they'll treat you like royalty, and you'll receive a share in the company's profit for the rest of your life.

Cons

Lots of reviews mention Ron Perry here. Give the guy a break! He's the reason you've had a job there. He and his wife worked hard to get where they are now and pay your salary. If you can do better than them, go ahead, criticize them all you want. BTW lots of people who worked for successful entrepreneurs like Musk and Jobs reported that they were difficult to work with, so what's the big deal about RP exactly? He's not going to mince his words and he's not hiding anything or hiding behind any one. If you can't deal with him, may be you want to ask yourself why. There may be a good lesson for you there! Oftentimes our greatest "enemies" are our greatest teachers. Remember the straw and the beam!

Advice to Management

Always look for new opportunities and the best in everyone!